Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

PWM radiator fan controller

I'm wiring my car now and got to the point where I was going to hook up the wiring harness for coolant fans using relays to effect a single speed fan controller. However, I ran across a posting on Lateral-G that goes into great detail on how to use the ECU and a pwm controller (from a C6 Corvette) to produce a variable speed fan. The fan speed is controlled by inputs from coolant temp and AC pressure. Aside from mounting the PWM controller, you only need to add an AC pressure sensor with 3 signal lines to the ECU, and the ECU programming will have to be changed. For a Vintage Air system, you'll still want to use their binary switch to turn the AC compressor off when AC pressure is too high or too low, as no one has figured out how to control the compressor using the ECU. Should be a very reliable setup since it relies on GM production parts. And it's not terribly expensive. The PWM controller is about $100.

I'm going to get started on mine soon.

If you're interested, here's a link to the Lateral-G posting: http://www.lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=40215
      1969 Camaro - LSA motor, 6L90 transmission, TCI front subframe, TCI torque arm rear suspension, Ford 9" rearend

Regarding the ECU programming, I'm considering doing it myself. I haven't ventured inside the ECU yet, but would like to give it a try. Any recommendations on the equipment that would work best would be greatly appreciated. I have both Windows and Mac laptops, so programmers that interface with either type laptop would work for me. To program the ECU for pwm, I'll need to be able to change settings in the ECU, such as turning off "discrete" fan control and turning on PWM control. I'll also need to be able to alter the tables that control fan speed based on cooling temp and AC pressure. I'd appreciate any advice on which equipment would be best for this situation.
      1969 Camaro - LSA motor, 6L90 transmission, TCI front subframe, TCI torque arm rear suspension, Ford 9" rearend

Quote Originally Posted by terrydmorgan View Post
      Regarding the ECU programming, I'm considering doing it myself. I haven't ventured inside the ECU yet, but would like to give it a try. Any recommendations on the equipment that would work best would be greatly appreciated. I have both Windows and Mac laptops, so programmers that interface with either type laptop would work for me. To program the ECU for pwm, I'll need to be able to change settings in the ECU, such as turning off "discrete" fan control and turning on PWM control. I'll also need to be able to alter the tables that control fan speed based on cooling temp and AC pressure. I'd appreciate any advice on which equipment would be best for this situation.
      In order to do this, you need to get either HP Tuners or EFI Live. I don't have experience with either, so I can't recommend one over the other.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Thanks Andrew. Looks like there are quite a few different options with either of these systems. I'm wondering what the minimum system is that will meet my needs for this particular job? Perhaps, since you're not familiar with them, someone else will have some advice, or can at least point me to an article that's a good starting point for understanding what's involved.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
      In order to do this, you need to get either HP Tuners or EFI Live. I don't have experience with either, so I can't recommend one over the other.

Andrew

There doesn't seem to be a lot of interest in the pwm implementation so far, but I'll post what I've learned in case interest blooms in the future.

My implementation involves an E67 ECM, so this info is peculiar to the E67, but may have application to other ECMs as well.

E67 Pinouts that need to be added are all on the J3 (grey) connector.
      AC Pressure Sensor
      J3-21 (ground) wire color black
      J3-37 (5V) wire color grey
      J3-57 (AC pressure signal) wire color red/black
      PWM output
      J3-49 wire color green

PWM Fan Control Module - AC Delco 15-80803
      Pinouts
      1) Fan (-)
      2) battery (-)
      3) Battery (+) fused
      4) Fan (+)
      6) PWM output from ECM (J3-49)

AC Pressure Sensor from C6 Corvette
      Pinouts
      1) ground (connect to J3-21 on ECM - wire color black)
      2) 5V (connect to J3-37 on ECM - wire color grey)
      3) Pressure signal (connect to J3-57 on ECM - wire color red/black)

The following programming changes need to be made to the E67 ECM
      1) Set PWM fan control on, instead of discrete fan control;
      2) Repopulate the following tables with your desired fan speed vs. temp/pressure values:
      a) Coolant temp/fan speed
      For example, 204 Deg. F (at 10% duty cycle) and increasing with temp up to a max of 90% duty cycle at 235 Deg. F and higher.
      b) AC pressure/fan speed
      For example, fan speed 10% at 160 psi up to 90% at 260 psi for Vintage Air implementation

If you haven't purchased a radiator fan yet, you may want to consider the fan assembly from a C6 Corvette as it is made to work with the PWM controller and even includes the correct electrical connector. I've seen it advertised for around $120. Try searching for Dorman 621-102 Radiator Fan Assembly.
      Last edited by terrydmorgan; 01-08-2015 at 03:29 PM. Reason: Fixed mistake on AC pressure range

Andrew,
      I just realized that you're prominently featured in the Lateral-G posts on this topic. I take it from your posts that you must have used someone to implement the changes on your ECM. Can you advise who you used. Seems like that might be a more economical approach than purchasing my own hardware/software from HP Tuners or EFI.

Andrew

Andrew,
      I just realized that you're prominently featured in the Lateral-G posts on this topic. I take it from your posts that you must have used someone to implement the changes on your ECM. Can you advise who you used. Seems like that might be a more economical approach than purchasing my own hardware/software from HP Tuners or EFI.
      I haven't implemented this yet. I plan on doing it on my Cougar, but it will be using a Holley Dominator ECU.

Contact Mike Norris. See if how much he would charge to do this.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Thanks!

I haven't implemented this yet. I plan on doing it on my Cougar, but it will be using a Holley Dominator ECU.

Contact Mike Norris. See if how much he would charge to do this.

Andrew

Ordered an AC pressure sensor for a C6 Corvette ($22.95)

Ordered a connector for the pressure sensor ($6.99)

Found a C6 Vette fan assembly with a damaged shroud and bought the pwm Controller and wiring harness ($80)

Ordered a set of 10 pins for the E67 connector ($2.95)

Ready to install - waiting for shipping

Good info Terry, where did you order the PCM pins from?
      Chris
      1968 Chevy Camaro SS
      LS3/T56 DSE suspension

Several sources are referenced in the postings on Lateral-G, but I used this one:
      http://www.obd2allinone.com/products/m5j3.asp

Quote Originally Posted by 130fe View Post
      Good info Terry, where did you order the PCM pins from?

Yeah, I have been following that thread- tons of good info in it.
      Chris
      1968 Chevy Camaro SS
      LS3/T56 DSE suspension

Here are some pics to help identify your ECM

This drawing shows the connector on the e67 ECM, which corresponds to the wire side of the connector.

Pins for the e67 ECM showed up today. Here's what they look like when properly crimped

The pins that need to be inserted are marked with red dots. Color labels reflect the color of wires used in my implementation.

AC Pressure Sensor
      J3-21 (ground) wire color black
      J3-37 (5V) wire color grey
      J3-57 (AC pressure signal) wire color red
      pwm output
      J3-49 wire color green

Terry,

Great info. Which pin numbers are for what function?

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

Post number 5 identifies pins by number, color and function.
      And I've now added them to post number 14 too.

Terry,

Great info. Which pin numbers are for what function?

Andrew

Awesome job!

Wicked pinouts and ecu identifiers in the thread!

If anyone wants to cheat: http://www.entropyrad.com/wiring-harnesses.html

I have friends running EFI live on a few projects, as well as LS1 Edit on a 5.3 silverado with an older STS rear-mount turbo..both programs work well if you know how to run the fuel values!
      Justin Novick
      Sales/Support
      Entropy Radiator / Engineered Cooling Products
      "The Sexiest Radiators For The Sexiest Hot Rods"

www.EntropyRad.com www.SpeedCooling.com

Post number 5 identifies pins by number, color and function.
      And I've now added them to post number 14 too.
      I should read more carefully...LOL

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

Hey Justin!
      I'm a big fan of Entropy radiators. I've installed them in both of my builds. Zero problems, and they are very pretty. But, mine needs dusting.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin@EntropyRad View Post
      Wicked pinouts and ecu identifiers in the thread!

If anyone wants to cheat: http://www.entropyrad.com/wiring-harnesses.html

I have friends running EFI live on a few projects, as well as LS1 Edit on a 5.3 silverado with an older STS rear-mount turbo..both programs work well if you know how to run the fuel values!

If you already have the fan(s) and don't want to buy the C6 vette unit, I have found a supplier for the pwm module connector & terminals that should be in my hands within a couple weeks.
      Scot
      86 Monte SS

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com