Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
      Quote Originally Posted by 69ratfed
      Hey Camaroboy,
      How much does that exstinguisher weigh? From the size compared to 20oz bottle. It doesn't look like it weighs 8lbs.
      Just curious.
      It definetly does not weigh 8#. Mabey 2# or 3#. I thought mabey the material weight is compressed or something. Heck I dont know. They say 8# on the site and claim 8#. Would that mean the bottle should weigh 8#? I am keeping it no matter what but just wondering how the weight works for fire extinguishers.

Adam_______Offical Car Name "ILLUSION"
      383 Stroker, Stock cast heads, T-56 tranny, 4.11 gears, 2002 T/A dash, 4th gen interior including seatbelts, power lumbar seats, 18" Budnik Wheels, Hydraboost, QA1 shocks, DC Controller, Power steering conversion, fuel cell, unique exhaust set up........
      ILLUSION Website-----------Old Website--------------My Car on Lateral-g.net----------- Need something designed?-AdFabDesign

Country Flag: United States
      I don't think the pressure inside the bottle would have an effect on how much it weighs. A given mass of that stuff will weigh 8 pounds, and as long as you're not changing that amount of mass, 8 pounds is 8 pounds regardless of what size space it's packed into (as long as you don't leave earth's standard gravity). Or am I losing my mind?
      Ryan
      '68 Camaro (slowly coming back together...very slowly)

Thats pretty much what I thought too. I guess they have some major false advertisement going on. I am actually glad its this small. An 8# bottle would be quite large in there. I like everything about this one. Hopefully I never have to use it but at least it will be piece of mind having it in the car. I decided to get this after I read the "Breaks my heart" thread that Steve made.
      383 Stroker, Stock cast heads, T-56 tranny, 4.11 gears, 2002 T/A dash, 4th gen interior including seatbelts, power lumbar seats, 18" Budnik Wheels, Hydraboost, QA1 shocks, DC Controller, Power steering conversion, fuel cell, unique exhaust set up........
      ILLUSION Website-----------Old Website--------------My Car on Lateral-g.net----------- Need something designed?-AdFabDesign

Where to put Extinguisher

What do you guys suggest? Trunk or passenger compartment.

Depends why you want one. If for the track, it should be in reach of the driver and passenger. If just to have one, the trunk would be fine. For show or just to have one, out of the direct sun. Mine is in reach of the driver and passenger on the trans hump.

is there room under the passenger side dash??
      Matt

I don't road race but I do take the car down the 1/4 mile a few times a year. Its a convertible so the trans hump would be in direct sun. I might just put it in the trunk unless someone chimes in with a reason not to. Thanks.

I am wanting to put one on the trans tunnel.
      I like the look and easy access.
      I didn't realize that direct sunlight would be an issue.
      I would love to see someone manufacture a billet hold down with a
      flip-up arm rest (billet hinges) incorporated into the design.
      Just send me half the royalties

Navin R. Johnson (inventor of the opti grab)
      G Force Designs Concepts #004
      "Quicksilver"
      1965 Mustang Fastback
      347/450hp FRPP crate engine,G Force T5
      SSBC 4wdb,Budnik M5's etc...
      SOLD

2011 GT500
      Ingot Silver Metallic
      Stripe delete
      SVTPP/Elec. Pkg.
      Stock for now
      SOLD

70 Pro Touring Nova
      572/620ho crate
      TKO 600
      DSE suspension upgrades

SOLD

I got my fire extinguisher bolted up over the weekend. Looks real nice between the rear bucket seats. I can even put the back seat down and it doesnt create any issues with the fire extinguisher. I will try to get some pics tonight. I actually have quite a few pics to take.
      They also said the 8# on their website is a typo and that it should be changed eventually. Its not 8# which is perfect to me. It would be a lot harder tucking an 8 pound bottle away.
      Last edited by CAMAROBOY69; 04-10-2006 at 10:21 AM.

Camaroboy, thanks for doing the research for us, it sounds like it's just what I'm looking for.
      Dave H.

Look back a ways and you will find more about this subject. There is a bracket to mount one in front of the seats if you don't have any other place.

Jim Nilsen

Thank you

I should have stated that I live in the desert and have seen items destroyed by direct sun inside of cars. I have mine on the trans tunnel, but have a cover that provides shade when I'm not on a track.

There are marine brackets that have two latches, much safer in a rollover or crash. I autocrossed with one just in front of my seat on the floor.
      67 Camaro RS that will be faster than anything Mary owns.

I have been keeping up with this thread, and had pretty much decided on putting an extinguisher in my car. However, after a recent event that happened, I have now decided that I will be installing a full extinguisher system for the cabin and trunk/engine compartment.

4 people that my dad worked with were in a helicopter crash last week in central Texas. They hit some power lines shortly after takeoff, and the line actually ripped the gas tank open (which was mounted on top of the cabin...not sure why you would design something that way) and then sparked the gasoline on fire. So basically burning gasoline poured all over the people inside the helicopter as it was falling toward the ground. When it hit, the pilot, front seat passenger, and one of the back seat passengers were thrown from the wreckage. The other back seat passenger (the first back seat passenger's wife) wasn't thrown out, and never escaped the fire. The front seat passenger died the next day in the ICU from extensive burns over his entire body. The husband lived, but has severe burns over most of his body. The pilot is badly burned from the waist up, and will spend the next 6 months in the hospital and will never walk again. The husband and wife have a 4- and a 6-year old.

My dad spoke to the first emergency doctor on the scene, who told him that the reason three of the people were thrown from the aircraft was that the fire was hot and intense enough that it melted their harnesses before the helicopter ever hit the ground. A failure in the safety system that actually probably saved two of the peoples' lives.

Just makes you think...an extinguisher system might cost you a few hundred bucks, but I can't imagine getting in a crash and not being able to get out of the car fast enough to avoid being badly burned. Not to mention if you had passengers with you, especially in the back seat. They'd never have a chance. Just something to think about.

/soap box
      Ryan
      '68 Camaro (slowly coming back together...very slowly)

Here is a pic of the fire extinguisher in my car. Its not a close pic but I took it last night and you can see the fire extinguisher between the 2 back seats.
      Sorry to hear about the tragic helicopter accident. The good thing about our cars is the fact that we will never have a fuel cell or gas tank mounted above our heads so the chance of any of us getting that badly burnt would be less likely. However if you can afford the full fire suppression system, that is the way to go.

err

I would recomend an AFFF system in most cases. The small 2.3L systems that can support three ports run ~$380. Run one port to the gas tank area, one under the dash facing the driver and passenger and one to the engine compartment. A few tips on systems: 1) get the aluminum line kit not the stainless braided line option. The braided line kits never come with enough hose or the right fittings. Just bend the line just like brake/fuel line with flare fittings. 2) make sure to route the pull cable with large bends so the the cable is free to move. Test pull cable operation before you install the CO2 canister. 3) be sure to support the line often so it can not bend/vibrate and ultimately fail, adell clamps work great for this.

If you do use a hand held ext. make sure to use through bolts with a back-up plate. DO NOT USE SHEET METAL SCREWS!

-Tony Colicchio
      www.tcdesignfab.com

Dont know if anyone is still interested in info on this post but here is what I plan to do when I customize my interior. Only difference is I will have a velcro style door to cover it. Here is the link to the piece rod doors makes.

http://www.roddoors.com/pages/gumbo-dir.html#firext

Mark
      TOOFUN

Come on man, be cool and put it on the A-pillar!!

J/K

I have mine right under the passenger side of the dash.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com