Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Need help with C6 Spindle Brake options

Greetings, I have run into a brick wall on front brakes for my project and need some advice. I'm using AME front subframe with the C6 spindles. I wanted to use the ZL1 calipers from my donor but they don't fit without major surgery on the spindles (which I tried, but ended up scrapping that plan) I then discovered the ZR1 brakes using the carbon ceramic rotors utilized a caliper almost identical to the ZL1 Brembo, so I figured it was a win as I can paint it and decal it to look just like the Camaro calipers. Now my problem is finding a rotor that will work with the Corvette Calipers. The ZL1 rotor has the wrong offset and is about 1" too small in diameter at 14" OD. I am assuming the carbon ceramic rotor is the one that will fit this setup but at $1500 ea that is not an option. Has anyone used these calipers on the C6 spindle and what rotor and hub will work with it? The other problem is for whatever stupid reason GM decided to run a different bolt pattern on the corvette than the Camaro which complicates this even more.
      Name:  IMG_20200915_165127399_2.jpg
Views: 401
Size:  480.8 KB

1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

That's about your only choice short of the factory carbon rotor....

What size wheel are you going to run?
      I believe 19's are your minimum compatible size.

Quote Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
      Those are for the rear, but since the rear uses the same spindles as the front maybe....thing that frustrates me the most is nobody publishes dimensions on brake rotors, just which vehicle they fit. It appears that the rotor I need is approx 15" in diameter which is something I have never seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowcatter View Post
      Those are for the rear, but since the rear uses the same spindles as the front maybe....thing that frustrates me the most is nobody publishes dimensions on brake rotors, just which vehicle they fit. It appears that the rotor I need is approx 15" in diameter which is something I have never seen.
      Here you go:

https://www.girodisc.com/Girodisc-Fr...rs_p_6814.html

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Don, you are good! I looked all over that website and didn't see those lol I just knew someone had to make a standard rotor to replace those carbon ceramic ones. Thanks for finding those.

Of all the crazy fabrication and tough decisions I have had to do during this build I laugh that the front brakes have been this big of a hurdle. The issue I fear with using the Corvette setup is wheel clearance and very expensive parts. I think the best way to solve this is to modify the spindles to fit this Corvette Brembo to the Camaro rotors I already have and keep the Camaro hubs. This will gain me an extra 3/4" of wheel clearance and use easily replaced components. I was hoping to not have to do this but I think it's the best of the two choices.

I guess if you can't buy what you want then one must build it himself lol ZL1 hub and rotor, ZR1 caliper loaded with ZL1 pads mounted on a "slightly modified" C6 spindle = happy Name:  2562~2.jpeg
Views: 267
Size:  85.5 KB

What modifications did you have to perform to the spindle?

Electrical/Mechanical Engineer
      1968 Camaro RS - Flat Black

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com