Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Moving from hydroboost to vacuum booster with c6 z06 brakes

So I have a 59 Chevy Apache with a c6 drivetrain and z06 brakes. I was building it with the master cylinder under the cab and a hydrobooster. My last project with z06 brakes and a hydrobooster was deathly sensitive to the touch. I suspect I will go with a vacuum booster, but don't have the room under the cab. So my real question is moving the brakes to a firewall mounted setup. Any suggestions on a matched master cylinder and vacuum booster? I have enjoyed a hydrobooder on cars in the past, but with the z06 brakes it is just too sensitive. I almost hate to move the master cylinder into the engine compartment, but I think it will simply perform better.

What size MC are you using? I thought 1 1/8” MC was good with those brakes and hydro boost. I used to have HB also but switched back to vacuum. My C6 brakes work great with the DSE booster/MC combo.
      Chris
      1968 Chevy Camaro SS
      LS3/T56 DSE suspension

I'm a big fan of vacuum boosted brakes too.

I like the 2009-2013 C6 Corvette OEM Bosch booster/master cylinder. It's the same booster/master that comes in the DSE kits. It'll be a perfect match to your C6 wheel brakes (you will still need an adjustable proportioning valve), and it's tough to beat OEM quality and serviceability. It's a 1" bore. I paid <$100 for my good as new setup from a salvage yard.
      - Ryan

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/1007...-brake-system/

An alternative, probably pricey, but would allow you to retain the floor mounted braking system.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com