Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Powersteering pumps

Hey all-
      Im having a bad day with trying to post this. The laptop and me are not getting along.

Simple question.

Is the type 2 PS pump better that the old school saginaw pump?

I have a LQ4 I'm swapping into my 69 Camaro. Old PS pump is wasted. I was going to buy a truck pump to replace my van style pump. But thought I'd look into the type 2 pumps and ask for anyone that has travelled this road. They're smaller but are they just as reliable or run any cooler? I see the 4th gen Z28s run the type 2 pump.

The car is running ridetech airride with the truturn option. Original power steering box for now. Until a proper quick ratio box can be obtained.
      Name:  received_673251636938220.jpg
Views: 315
Size:  286.9 KB

Thanks.
      Mike
      15 Camaro 2SS 1LE summer ride

00 Yukon work ride - parts hauler

69 Camaro LS Turbo - project car

I don't know if it's better but it sure does look better to me,
      you have an LS why would you not use the newer tech pump that probably has all kinds of bolt on bracket options for the LS ?

Quote Originally Posted by ilikeike View Post
      I don't know if it's better but it sure does look better to me,
      you have an LS why would you not use the newer tech pump that probably has all kinds of bolt on bracket options for the LS ?
      True, it does look better. I have all the LQ4 bracketry. Swapping to the newer pump requires new brackets. Guess it depends on how much I want to spend on it.
      I need to have the passenger upper side available for turbo clearance. I need to mock it all up before hand.

I was more interested in hearing if anyone thinks the old style pump is not able to stand some 20 minute sessions on Gingerman or Road America tracks.

Mike

Old pump will work, just get a cooler on the return line. I'm running a stock LQ4 pump with 2002 S10 ZQ8 steering box and 2005 tahoe hydroboost with no problems other than needing a cooler on the return line.

The pump internals are the same, just different bodies/reservoirs. LS3 use truck spacing on their accessories, you could look into a GM type 2 pump if you wanted. (I'm running an LS3 water pump on my LQ4, had better upper hose routing for my setup)

For bracketry you got Goatbuilt, Dirty Dingo, ICT, etc. Seems like everyone is making brackets for the LS accessories now.
      *Jeff*
      Project Salty - 1964 4 door Malibu, beaten, neglected, red headed foster child
      Cammed LQ4 / T56 Swap Project Thread <-click to read! 😁

Quote Originally Posted by Hotwire View Post
      Old pump will work, just get a cooler on the return line. I'm running a stock LQ4 pump with 2002 S10 ZQ8 steering box and 2005 tahoe hydroboost with no problems other than needing a cooler on the return line.

Thanks Jeff. Appreciate the help. I'll look into the LS3 water pump as well.

The P-pump, the original type for your car and used in a bazillion other GM and Chrysler products, can be modified to run dry. That is, without the integral reservoir, hence requiring a remote reservoir. I ran this setup, with modifications made by Lee's Power Steering, for many years and track days without issue.

Another key ingredient with this setup is to only use the real GM power steering fluid. No other fluid even comes close to working as well with the P-pump especially from a de-airing and heat standpoint. It worked so well that even now though the car has been converted to a CB pump (a non-roller bearing small pump similar to the TC) the GM fluid is all that it used.

VaporWorx. We Give You Gas http://www.vaporworx.com

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com