Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

69 Camaro Inner Fender Paint

Hey everyone, so I’m finishing up fab and test fitting all hard components and it’s time to seamseal, undercoat and paint the car. I’m going to be outsourcing these steps. I was planning to have the shop seamseal, undercoat and paint the firewall. While they were doing that I was going to have all the subframe and and suspension component powder coated. When I got the car back I wanted to reassemble everything, and basically get the car running before painting it, that way if there are any issues I wouldn’t scratch anything.

My question and main concern is that I want to run all electrical wires hvac tubing inside the inner wheel wells. The problem is that it was very difficult for me to put the outer fenders on the car if the inner fenders were already mounted. I’m just thinking if they were already painted I would scratch up the outer fender and inner fender like crazy putting them together. Any suggestions as to the order of the paint process?

Thanks!

Country Flag: United States
      Fenders are usually installed with the inner and outer assembled together. It can be done either way but easier if assembled together imho. Tape all your surfaces that might get scratched and have a helper.

I feed the heater and ac hoses as I install the fender. Another reason to have a helper. I feed wiring after fender is hung.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

I recently painted my inner fender but the outer fender remains in sealer ready for paint, after doing this process for assembly purposes similar to you I'd only aim to install them assembled together and with precautionary tape like Don suggested. they aren't heavy as they are awkward and if any paint is a concern, get a friend or a lot of protection, run all the wires and items after they're installed and protected.

That’s what I thought. The inner and outer fender have to be put on the car as 1 unit. I just wanted the body shop to do all the final assembly but I guess even if they do that I would still have to take things apart to run wires and plumbing. Thanks for the replies.

This is my first Camaro,and the first I assembled.
      I had the inner fenders mounted for a couple of weeks while doing wiring that I have tucked in the inner fender area on both sides,then running the engine and checking everything before I put the outer fenders on.
      I did it all by myself and managed fine,didn't know there was another way at the time.

I had no idea that assembling the inner and outer as one would be easier, maybe I'll try that next time.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com