Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Brakes experts, serious advice needed

The previous owner of my car appears to have scabbed together some awful brake setup and I'm not sure what to do at this point. This all started when I was replacing my pedal shaft bearing assembly, I had a hard time getting the booster off because it was threaded outside of the car and inside... Long story short I found out this car had manual brakes from the factory, and someone put a booster conversion in it.

Now here's the rundown of the awfulness:
      -factory manual brake pedal with ratio around 6:1
      -what appears to be a power master cylinder designed for drum brakes (one reservoir much smaller) and a 1.144" bore
      -wilwood superlite front calipers
      -lincoln mark vii rear disc conversion
      -a wilwood proportioning valve installed inline with the factory differential valve(drum specific? Idk, also not sure if there is any sort of proportioning action in it)

At this point I think at a minimum I need to change the master cylinder or the pedal. I was debating manual brakes anyway, and now I know I have the manual brake pedal I think that might be the way to go... Thoughts?Name:  IMG_20200906_110056.jpg
Views: 295
Size:  83.7 KBName:  IMG_20200906_104302.jpg
Views: 311
Size:  89.3 KBName:  IMG_20200906_104310.jpg
Views: 304
Size:  117.4 KB
      James
      1969 Mustang Fastback

I don't consider myself an expert by any means. But I would replace the booster & master w quality combo that was designed to work together, and the the correct bore size for you existing brakes. I am not as familiar w ford products, but the gm pedal had 2 holes in it, the upper for manual brakes, the lower hole for power. I have run across many problems from mixing & matching brake parts. My go to (expert) for brakes is Tobin at Kore3.

I don't see why you need some expert here...Im assuming its a 69 Camaro? Rip it out and replace it with OEM replacement parts. Buy a new MC/Booster, they sell repop pedal and fab up some new brake lines...Done!

That prop valve looks like they were trying to make a line lock lol...
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

Are you driver enough? Maybe....come on blue!
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...71#post1147371

Initially I thought he had a proportioning valve inline with another one, and I was also concerned about the manual pedal ratio on a power booster setup. I've been told the block under the hood is a distribution block only and brake warning light sensor(which is missing on mine). I guess the only real concern now is excessive pedal travel on the brakes but the car has been driven this way for 20 years so I guess it's okay for now. I'm planning to swap the rear axle and brakes so I'll replumb the brakes then.
      James
      1969 Mustang Fastback

Quote Originally Posted by badazz81z28 View Post
      I don't see why you need some expert here...Im assuming its a 69 Camaro? Rip it out and replace it with OEM replacement parts. Buy a new MC/Booster, they sell repop pedal and fab up some new brake lines...Done!

That prop valve looks like they were trying to make a line lock lol...
      With those valve covers and strut tower brace, it looks like the enemy ;-)

There is a huge mish-mash of parts going on, and without knowing a bunch more info, we are just guessing. As mentioned above, give Tobin at Kore3 a call, take his suggestions, and pony up your credit card. He has been instrumental on getting the brakes sorted on the Camaro to survive, and every one of his suggestions work as he describes.
      VaporWorx. We Give You Gas http://www.vaporworx.com

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com