Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Pontiac Built Engine

Hey everyone,

Looking for an already built, completely done dressed engine that I can drop in to my 1978 Trans Am 4 speed. Trying to keep a buget of around 5k-7k, am flexible. Thinking along the lines of a stroked 400 or a 455. This is a weekend cruiser that I just want some extra power for, my daily driver is 500hp, so the trans am needs a bit of a boost for some fun.

Located in upstate NY, will drive a fair bit for the right motor, have a truck to put it in.

Thanks,
      Brandon

Country Flag: United States
      You'll have much better luck posting here: https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums

Good luck, but it's going to be tough to find a fully dressed fresh Pontiac stroker build for that budget.
      http://www.TheFOAT.com/92GTA
      1969 Pontiac Firebird
      w/535ci IAII aluminum block, Dailey dry sump, Holley EFI (full road race build). Primer black w/black interior.
      1992 Pontiac Trans Am GTA w/SLP Performance Package. Dark Jade Grey Metallic, grey leather, T-Tops.

He's right. And everyone here will tell you to go LS, you'll never turn back. I agree with them.
      70 GTO - Alum 5.3/4L80e, 7875
      17 GT350

Quote Originally Posted by Interceptor5588 View Post
      He's right. And everyone here will tell you to go LS, you'll never turn back. I agree with them.
      ThIs literally made me LOL....

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Haha, do NOT go LS and rep the Pontiac for sure.

To save weight I am going from my current 461 stroker to an aluminum aftermarket Pontiac block from Butler for my new 535. Their backlog is nearly a year tho and I still have a few months to go. No LS in my future ever.
      1969 Pontiac Firebird
      w/535ci IAII aluminum block, Dailey dry sump, Holley EFI (full road race build). Primer black w/black interior.
      1992 Pontiac Trans Am GTA w/SLP Performance Package. Dark Jade Grey Metallic, grey leather, T-Tops.

Quote Originally Posted by anguilla1980 View Post

To save weight I am going from my current 461 stroker to an aluminum aftermarket Pontiac block from Butler for my new 535. Their backlog is nearly a year tho and I still have a few months to go. No LS in my future ever.
      When the time comes... let me know if you're going to be selling that 461. I'm pondering on simply adding a top end kit to my 400 but if your engine isn't tired and still pulls, it might be a better plan.

It only will have about 25K on it when I do pull it, but it will be going in another Firebird project. I have LITERALLY enough parts from my 69 Pro-Touring build to build another 69 if I can find a complete body with interior and nothing underneath it. And I don't mean stock parts either lol.
      1969 Pontiac Firebird

pontiac motor

I have a 455 that is built for 500 hp fully equipped, all new parts, msd dist,msd box,new dampener ,carb,intake 6000.00

Quote Originally Posted by 732ndgen View Post
      I have a 455 that is built for 500 hp fully equipped, all new parts, msd dist,msd box,new dampener ,carb,intake 6000.00
      Can you please provide me more details on your engine and how long has it been sitting...maybe a few pics?

Agreed! I kept my 67 Firebird Pontiac powered. LS's are bad ass, we do tons of LS swaps every year. But for me, if I want an LS i'd be racing a newer Camaro or Corvette.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by anguilla1980 View Post

Agreed! I kept my 67 Firebird Pontiac powered. LS's are bad ass, we do tons of LS swaps every year. But for me, if I want an LS i'd be racing a newer Camaro or Corvette.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com