Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: Canada

Towing with a Pro Touring truck?

Anyone tow with their pro touring truck? If so, I'd like to hear about it. Any older truck or brand but specifically, the 63-72 Chevrolet truck arm suspension would be helpful.

I have a short bed 1965 GMC (Canadian, so it's a Chevrolet underneath) that I plan to 6.0 LS/6-speed manual swap with coilovers/c-notch (It won't be laying frame) and 4 wheel discs. So power and braking won't be an issue.

I'm starting to get my stock frame ready for my build and am wondering about stiffening/boxing the frame in anticipation of towing as well. I'm not looking to tow much or that often. Maybe 4000 pounds at most?

Thanks!
      Short and wide 1965 GMC 910.

Country Flag: United States
      When you do that C notch, think about the 10% tongue weight hanging off the back of the frame. I would raise the bed floor so you can maintain the vertical height of the frame over the axle and still get it low. A c notch really doesn't get you enough travel and the pumpkin will hit the bedfloor in most cases anyways.

I personally would do air bags on the back, because they are so easy with the truck arms. A simple on board compressor and two paddle switches is all you need to run them along with a good set of shocks.
      Donny

Support your local hot rod shop!

Country Flag: Canada
      Thanks for the reply! I had thought about how a C-notch weakens the frame but was planning on running the No Limit C-notch. No Limit claims that their design is actually stronger than stock. I'm also combining it with their long travel trailing arm kit in the rear.

The trailing arm kit allows the truck to be lowered 5 inches in the rear I has planned to add blocks to lower it a total 7 inches in the rear which necessitates the C notch kit. I could just "settle" for a 5 inch drop and not C-notch the frame at all.

The trailing arm kit will only work with coilovers or shockwaves. But I'm also really not a fan of air as I dislike the complexity, cost and don't think it handles as well as coilovers do. Although I know air has come a long way in terms of handling.

I'd prefer not to raise the bed as I'll use the truck as a truck from time to time. I'm trying to keep it a dual purpose vehicle rather than just a hardcore race truck.
      Short and wide 1965 GMC 910.

You can probably use helper airbags on that. They mount to the side of your regular suspension, and unless you're towing you just keep them deflated and they don't interfere with your suspension under normal circumstances. When you want to tow, just put the trailer on, and inflate until the truck's level again. I'm most likely going to add them to my truck as I want to build a travel trailer using another truck bed and a boat trailer. It won't be carrying more than a few thousand pounds, like no more than 3K. The travel trailer will probably have a removable interior so I can use it to haul greasy stuff too. My truck's bed won't be good for much more than a week's groceries.

Hey Rocky Mountain Race week and Hot Rod Drag week full on drag cars can pull trailers over 1000 miles and race so no reason a Pro-Touring car can't do it.

I need a useable truck too, and on my '61 Apache I am willing to raise the bed floor 4". I maintained the frame height in the entire notch, which maintains the strength of the frame. Any mini notch (pipe notch) that you do significantly weakens the frame.

On the other hand, my daily driver '77 C10 has a mini notch, and I haul all kinds of things and pull a trailer too. I'm just mindful of it.

A notch might not be necessary. I lowered Isaacs truck significantly and it doesnt need a notch, and I might be able to get the bed mounted without raising the floor. I also added a hitch so I can tow a small camper if needed.

Don't think anyone has mentioned this yet, but you need to look at the tires you are using for the build. A lot of builds switch to low profile, high performance tires that have less overhead in terms of rated load. Lowering a truck isn't going to make it tow worse, but some of the associated changes that often accompany lowering will.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com