Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

spacers for gm A body windshield

Ok looking at the body manual for my 1966 tempest. It calls out spacers to place the windshield. Any body found a supplier for them. I am in process of replacing the lower section of the window frame and want to place the windshield in before the final welding.

Thanks for any help.
      Tim Mc
      71 Cutlass
      66 Tempest
      65 cutlass
      15 BMW GSA

how are you mounting it? are you using urethane? how are you welding after the glass? on urethane you just use a some small scrap wood to get it centered up. once its dry take them out. iirc its about half inch on each side. idk how you will weld up after the glass is installed. you would need to weld everything up have it primed and painted before to do it right.

Quote Originally Posted by nekkidhillbilly View Post
      how are you mounting it? are you using urethane? how are you welding after the glass? on urethane you just use a some small scrap wood to get it centered up. once its dry take them out. iirc its about half inch on each side. idk how you will weld up after the glass is installed. you would need to weld everything up have it primed and painted before to do it right.
      It sounds like he wants to test fitment prior to welding

Sorry for the delay, Yes I wanted to trial fit the windshield to make sure everything looked ok. I plan to use urethane to install. Mauals seem to call for dams also.
      Tim Mc
      71 Cutlass
      66 Tempest
      65 cutlass
      15 BMW GSA

The windshield is a loose fit and really won't help you judge sheetmetal placement. You'd be better fitting the chrome trime around the windshield. It too is loose fit and has room for adjustment, but I'd be more worried about it fitting correctly vs the windshield.

The spacers for the windshield aren't precision in any way. They're there to keep the windshield from sliding down while the tape/sealant is curing. I too was stressing about it. I'd purchased windshield butyl tape, came with 2 rubber blocks in the box from Autozone. Guy that installed the windshield had a box full of them.
      *Jeff*
      Project Salty - 1964 4 door Malibu, beaten, neglected, red headed foster child
      Cammed LQ4 / T56 Swap Project Thread <-click to read! 😁

Thanks for the feed back.
      Tim Mc
      71 Cutlass
      66 Tempest
      65 cutlass
      15 BMW GSA

Stop by a local glass shop, they will likely give you a few.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com