Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

What do you think I can gain from Tuning an LS3 with hotcam

Hello awesome people!

I've got a 69 Camaro with the crate LS376-495 engine/TR6060 transmission.
      The LS 376-495 is a stock LS3 with a hotcam thrown. Its rated at 495hp and 471tq.

The engine has a good CAI system, mid-length hooker headers, and 3" dual exhaust.
      I've heard that it would be a good idea to upgrade the spark plugs to a lower temperature ones (NGK TR6)
      and upgrade the wires (I was told to get Granatelli, though the pricing on those are wild) and to lower the
      thermostat to one around 160 degrees.

I know nothing about tuning so I would love to know your thoughts of if these upgrades would be worthwhile and
      helpful for getting the most out of a tune? Do you have parts you have used, like, and recommend?

Im looking to get a fun tune (the car is already stupid fast, but who doesn't always want a little more)
      The Camaro is a fun, pro-touring inspired daily driver so im looking to keep the car reliable and well mannered.
      What do you think a tune will be able to produce on this engine?

Thanks so much for your time ideas and advice!
      "What is each day but a series of conflicts between the easy way and the right way?"

69 camaro, daytona blue. LS376-495 (Hotcam LS3), TR-6060 6-speed
      Tubular control arms with coilovers

Quote Originally Posted by 69camarokid View Post
      Hello awesome people!

The LS 376-495 is a stock LS3 with a hotcam thrown. Its rated at 495hp and 471tq.

The engine has a good CAI system, mid-length hooker headers, and 3" dual exhaust.
      I've heard that it would be a good idea to upgrade the spark plugs to a lower temperature ones (NGK TR6)
      and upgrade the wires (I was told to get Granatelli, though the pricing on those are wild) and to lower the

I know nothing about tuning so I would love to know your thoughts of if these upgrades would be worthwhile and
      helpful for getting the most out of a tune? Do you have parts you have used, like, and recommend?

Im looking to get a fun tune (the car is already stupid fast, but who doesn't always want a little more)
      The Camaro is a fun, pro-touring inspired daily driver so im looking to keep the car reliable and well mannered.

Are you using the GMPP harness and ECU kit or another EFI system?

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Quote Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
      Are you using the GMPP harness and ECU kit or another EFI system?

Andrew
      Im using the GMPP Harness and ECU. Everything is from GM on the engine part of this swap.
      "What is each day but a series of conflicts between the easy way and the right way?"

69 camaro, daytona blue. LS376-495 (Hotcam LS3), TR-6060 6-speed
      Tubular control arms with coilovers

I can’t imagine those changes would gain significant power or torque imho....

As far as the tune goes, I think icemanrd on here has attempted to squeeze max power out of that engine and cam.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Yea not going to gain much. Few hp here or there. Not worth the $100 in credits and dyno time. You are better off buying a pushrod, trunion, valve spring kit so you can run some More rpms. Understand that the cam doesn’t gain any hp from the higher rpms but allows you to possibly swap a better cam in the future. Your setup will put 420rwhp give or take 5hp unless dyno tuner scaling plays a factor. Don’t change spark plug, don’t change the wires unless you are relocating coils, no reason to swap out the thermostat either. Use all of that money to really clean the car up

Quote Originally Posted by 69camarokid View Post
      Hello awesome people!

I can tell you, I had the same setup and added intake and a 102TB and after tune, was running at 566 to the crank, 477 to the RW.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com