Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

Mecum auction buying...

Does anyone here have any experience buying a car from Mecum? I've been trying to find a car for a while now and can't seem to find what I'm looking for
      in my range. I see there's a car coming up at Kissimmee next week that could possibly fit my liking. How could I be sure of the condition of the paint
      and body, along with quality of the build?? There's no way i can make it there in person on such short notice, otherwise I'd just fly there and check it out for
      myself. Even if I'd go there, there's no way they let anyone drive any of the cars, and starting it and looking it over is about all ya get to go on. (Unless I'm
      missing something?)

For anyone who has experience with Mecum, do you think this is a place for someone to dump off a car they're not comfortable selling themselves? Is this a
      red flag, right out of the gate? I can't help but wonder why a pro-touring style resto-mod wouldn't be advertised on a site like this, or one of the other places
      where pro-touring cars are sold. Selling at mecum means you never have to face the person who bought it, or deal with any of their possible grievances.

......or am I looking at this too cynically?

Please help,

Thanks, Brian

I've been to a couple of Barrett-Jackson auctions and I can tell you that for the most part, the cars are pigs with lipstick. Some are really horrible and just show well on the camera. Very few are truly what they represent to be. Depends of course on your standards.

HUGE buyer beware on this one. If you can't have someone there do a PPI/appraisal on it for you, I would never do it. Best case, it was done by a shop with a fantastic reputation and you have a TON of pictures of the car and can speak to the restorer (NOT the seller). A binder of documentation should be with it too, if anything for warranty and insurance purposes, let alone repairs so you know what the hell parts are on it.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
      http://www.TheFOAT.com/92GTA
      1969 Pontiac Firebird
      w/535ci IAII aluminum block, Dailey dry sump, Holley EFI (full road race build). Primer black w/black interior.
      1992 Pontiac Trans Am GTA w/SLP Performance Package. Dark Jade Grey Metallic, grey leather, T-Tops.

Thanks and don't be sorry. This is exactly the kind of info I'm looking for and basically what I suspected all along. Great advice on the build shop and binder of info and photos.
      I spoke to one of the agents on the phone and he said I could email him questions and he'd ask the seller and get back to me with the seller's reply. Just for the sake of learning
      something, I'm going to ask for what you just suggested, with no real intent to buy the car at this point. I want to see what other information they're able to come up with. The
      listing on Mecum tells very little about the car, but it has a lot of the attributes I'm looking for, hence me asking on here about it.

I've been trying to find the right car since last Nov. and can't seem to get what I want for a price I can afford. I've been very close a couple times, but things just didn't work out.
      I guess maybe desperation has led me to scan the auctions and see what's there. What you said makes perfect sense and answers my original question about why someone
      would sell at Mecum rather than on a site like pro-touring.com.

Here's the car. https://www.mecum.com/lots/FA0820-43...aro-resto-mod/

Thanks again for the advice.

I vought my car at a Mecum auction and it went well but I've seen other cars purchased at Mecum and other auctions that went very badly. 100% buyer beware. No way would I buy it sight unseen. Anyone that you could send to look at it for you?
      Lance
      1985 Monte Carlo SS Street Car

Auctions should be considered glorified used car lots. Anything you would do before buying a car at one you should do at the other.
      Tracey

I don't have anyone that could look at it for me, especially on this short notice. I think it's going through on Thurs or Friday. Sometimes I watch these auctions on TV
      and think wow, that looked like a great deal, but in all reality, there's no way to know if it was a great deal or not by just watching on TV. There's a reserve on this car
      but I have a pretty good idea of what the reserve is, and that's why I'm asking questions. I'm probably better off just forgetting about it. I can't afford to take a hit
      on buying a car with serious problems. I just don't have the bank to throw another 20k at a car that's already at the top of my allowance.

Thanks for the input.

Here you go, same car

https://classiccars.com/listings/vie...illinois-62269

Rear seat upholstery and headliner are pretty entertaining for a $130k car...

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Wow, that back seat is terrible, like a sack of potatoes. The headliner is awful like you said, I see a 3rd gen factory brake master. On the inside, the dash is a hack job and they just said screw it on the shifter boot. Who knows what else they said "screw it" on when it comes to all of the details.

To me, the person who finished this car didn't care about anything but getting it out the door for money. No one who actually cares about the car they're building would have cut such corners.

Car is worth more like $60K IMHO.
      1969 Pontiac Firebird
      w/535ci IAII aluminum block, Dailey dry sump, Holley EFI (full road race build). Primer black w/black interior.
      1992 Pontiac Trans Am GTA w/SLP Performance Package. Dark Jade Grey Metallic, grey leather, T-Tops.

Quote Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
      Here you go, same car

https://classiccars.com/listings/vie...illinois-62269

Rear seat upholstery and headliner are pretty entertaining for a $130k car...

Don

Nice find - Thanks! I'm going to send you a PM.

Brian

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by anguilla1980 View Post
      Wow, that back seat is terrible, like a sack of potatoes. The headliner is awful like you said, I see a 3rd gen factory brake master. On the inside, the dash is a hack job and they just said screw it on the shifter boot. Who knows what else they said "screw it" on when it comes to all of the details.

To me, the person who finished this car didn't care about anything but getting it out the door for money. No one who actually cares about the car they're building would have cut such corners.

Car is worth more like $60K IMHO.

Interesting and thank you for all the input. Let me take a closer look and maybe you could answer a couple more questions???

I've been to a couple of Barrett-Jackson auctions and I can tell you that for the most part, the cars are pigs with lipstick. Some are really horrible and just show well on the camera. Very few are truly what they represent to be. Depends of course on your standards.

HUGE buyer beware on this one. If you can't have someone there do a PPI/appraisal on it for you, I would never do it. Best case, it was done by a shop with a fantastic reputation and you have a TON of pictures of the car and can speak to the restorer (NOT the seller). A binder of documentation should be with it too, if anything for warranty and insurance purposes, let alone repairs so you know what the hell parts are on it.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
      I too have been to about 4 Barrett Jackson auctions (Northeast) and I couldn't agree more. Do not buy without inspecting first.

HUGE buyer beware on this one.
      I've been to 4 or 5 B-J Auctions, so I agree 100%

After looking at the car, I would Pass!

Quote Originally Posted by Tincup View Post
      I too have been to about 4 Barrett Jackson auctions (Northeast) and I couldn't agree more. Do not buy without inspecting first.
      Quote Originally Posted by BMR Sales View Post
      I've been to 4 or 5 B-J Auctions, so I agree 100%

After looking at the car, I would Pass!

Thank you everyone who took the time to look this over for me. It kills me to step off this car. I'll never afford all the key attributes this car
      has, unless the car is somewhat compromised as this one seems to be. But after exchanging phone calls and messages with some of you guys
      I've decided to walk away. If I were to get it and it had major problems, I'd really be stuck and buried in the car because I wouldn't be able to
      fix major issues.

Just as an update for you guys.... This morning before I completely gave up on this car, I emailed the agent at Mecum I spoke with and
      asked him a few questions and he emailed me back a couple hours later.

Hello Lee,

I spoke with you on the phone a few days ago and I'd like to ask a few questions about this Camaro we talked about.

1. How much info on the build comes with this car? Is there a binder with photos before, during and after the build??

2. Are there receipts and warranty info for the 6 speed transmission and LS7 crate motor?

3. Seeing as how that car is lowered, I'd like to know if the transmission tunnel was modified in order to allow the trans to fit higher
      up in the car for adequate ground clearance?

4. Is that a Tremec Magnum 6 speed?

Thank you,

Hi Brian,

1.) The builder did not take photos before or during the restoration.

2.) There is some paperwork for the 6-speed transmission and LS7 motor. He was not organized enough to specify.

3.) The seller does not think that the transmission tunnel was modified during the build. He said that was never mentioned when discussing the restoration with the builder.

4.) Transmission is a Tremec 6-speed.

Best of luck with bidding.

Thanks,
      Lee Drummond
      Mecum Auctions

Consignment Agent

I'll still have to watch it go across the block on TV this week, just to torture myself.

Stick with the search. The right car will come up. Looks like they tried to use quality parts but didn't do quality work.

Why Hiedts coilovers on a DSE suspension?
      A grant steering wheel on a $130k car? Really?
      Any one else also notice the deluxe door panels and standard rear panels?

It occurs to me a shop took a stripped shell and leftover parts and made something they could flip easily for a good profit with just a few other new parts they bought for it.
      1969 Pontiac Firebird

Has this seller been discussed before? He had a bunch of youtube videos. Not sure how he cranks out so many cars and after I add up the cost of an initial car, parts, paint; it seems like there is not much meat left on the bone for him. This might be an option for the OP.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1969-Chevro...wAAOSwQY1fMjiK
      1968 Chevelle 408 BBC,200 4r trans.
      1987 Buick Grand National all original
      1966 Chevy II Coupe 383 TCI Suspension
      1969 C10 Custom FS/SB Daily

It occurs to me a shop took a stripped shell and leftover parts and made something they could flip easily for a good profit with just a few other new parts they bought for it.
      That's exactly what I was thinking!

1955 Nomad project LC9, 4L80e, C5 brakes, Vision wheels
      1968 Camaro 6.2 w/ LSA, TR6060-Magnum hybrid and etc SOLD
      1976 T/A LS1 6 Speed, and etc. SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by socalfandabodys View Post
      Has this seller been discussed before? He had a bunch of youtube videos. Not sure how he cranks out so many cars and after I add up the cost of an initial car, parts, paint; it seems like there is not much meat left on the bone for him. This might be an option for the OP.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1969-Chevro...wAAOSwQY1fMjiK

That would be a dream car for me. Unfortunately I can't afford something like that. I need be in the $60's, hence me considering a car that may be slightly
      flawed, all in an attempt to get the attributes I'd love to own one day. Turns out that Mecum car is most likely more that 'slightly flawed' and I'm backing
      away from it.

That car you posted on Ebay is sweet but out of my range. I'll keep an eye out and keep looking. I've been at this since last November and get frustrated
      sometimes, and that's why I'm so glad there are knowledgeable, very helpful and generous car enthusiasts on this site who help keep me from making
      a huge mistake.

Thanks, Brian

I've only been to two Barret Jackson auctions and one Mecum. I too was surprised by the mixed bag of cars. Some stuff seemed really nice and some other stuff was the worst flip job I had ever seen. You definitely need to look at cars in person and in depth. Does not hurt to have a second set of eyes with you. That Camaro on ebay belongs to a builder. His stuff seems pretty dialed in. I'm sure if you asked him for a 69 in that price range; he could put one together. He seems to have stuff in all price ranges.
      1968 Chevelle 408 BBC,200 4r trans.
      1987 Buick Grand National all original
      1966 Chevy II Coupe 383 TCI Suspension
      1969 C10 Custom FS/SB Daily

the other thing about Auctions ( in regular times), the Liquor is Flowing in hopes that people let their inhibitions down and Bid!

I'm glad I didn't waste my time registering. I'd have never gone this high on a car that has zero documentation and visible issues with interior.

The search goes on.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com