Current mods
      Full DSE front and rear suspension.
      Currie 9”
      Mini tub
      Minor body mods
      Caged
      347 stroker
      Big brakes all around

I’m leaning towards swapping the stroker engine out for a coyote.

Name:  IMG_0749.JPG
Views: 1126
Size:  356.8 KB
      Name:  IMG_0751.JPG
Views: 1002
Size:  89.7 KB
      Name:  IMG_3671.jpeg
Views: 1032
Size:  576.5 KB
      Name:  IMG_0810.JPG
Views: 1022
Size:  544.9 KB

Country Flag: United States
      You got a lot of nice stuff to start off with! You already have a 347 stroker, and front and rear done. As the king of scope creep, even I would say leave the motor alone and forget the Coyote!
      '69 Charger TT Viper project - SOLD
      '65 Mustang Shelby clone project "almost done"

Quote Originally Posted by Cop Magnet View Post
      You got a lot of nice stuff to start off with! You already have a 347 stroker, and front and rear done. As the king of scope creep, even I would say leave the motor alone and forget the Coyote!

Thank you, I appreciate your input. I was just a little worried about drive ability and reliability of the stroker vs the coyote. I had recently purchased a wrecked 2012 gt with the intent to do the swap, but maybe I’ll sell that car and use the funds to finish up and get a nice efi setup for the stroker I have already.

Great car to start with! You've got all kinds of goodies already. Agree with CM on the Coyote swap. You'll be into it for big bucks, especially since that little car can fly with a 347.

And read this. Be sure to read this...best advice I've seen. https://www.ridetech.com/how-to-build-a-happy-hot-rod/
      Cars are meant to be driven.

John B

I love that project. Perhaps I can find one that far along. I sent you a message with some questions.

1965 Mustang fastback build

Name:  IMG_0754.JPG
Views: 960
Size:  351.8 KB

Underside, new floor pans and frame connectors.

OK, you have options. That's always a good thing. So here are some thoughts you can consider or discard from a random, semi-anonymous dude on the internet:
      - You have room for the Coyote.
      - You can easily get hp from the 347 equal to that of a stock 2012 Coyote with a 347 and aftermarket heads.
      - A built Coyote will rapidly get into the near-500hp range which turns a 302 block into big chunks of cast iron scrap.
      - As another option you haven't mentioned, you can make serious power with a 351W stroker. That'll get you to the high side of 550hp reliably. You have plenty of room under the hood for that, too.
      - Both engines are popular enough you should be able to sell what you don't want.
      - The technical barriers to getting a Coyote up and running in a platform not built for it will be higher than you'll have with a sbf.
      - I'm a huge fan of EFI on older-generation engines.

In the interest of full disclosure I'm doing the planning on (electronic) paper to build a Ford Maverick with 347, EFI, and a stock-based suspension featuring home-built coilover conversion, strut rod eliminators, Shelby/Arning drop, and all the assorted unibody reinforcements of the Shelby and Boss 302 cars plus another trick or two.

John B

Quote Originally Posted by jaybee View Post
      OK, you have options. That's always a good thing. So here are some thoughts you can consider or discard from a random, semi-anonymous dude on the internet:
      - You have room for the Coyote.
      - You can easily get hp from the 347 equal to that of a stock 2012 Coyote with a 347 and aftermarket heads.
      - A built Coyote will rapidly get into the near-500hp range which turns a 302 block into big chunks of cast iron scrap.
      - As another option you haven't mentioned, you can make serious power with a 351W stroker. That'll get you to the high side of 550hp reliably. You have plenty of room under the hood for that, too.
      - Both engines are popular enough you should be able to sell what you don't want.
      - The technical barriers to getting a Coyote up and running in a platform not built for it will be higher than you'll have with a sbf.
      - I'm a huge fan of EFI on older-generation engines.

In the interest of full disclosure I'm doing the planning on (electronic) paper to build a Ford Maverick with 347, EFI, and a stock-based suspension featuring home-built coilover conversion, strut rod eliminators, Shelby/Arning drop, and all the assorted unibody reinforcements of the Shelby and Boss 302 cars plus another trick or two.
      Jaybee- thank you for your insight, I appreciate it.

I never personally had a 347 stroker engine in a car before, this one has a Edlebrock EFI intake and older (first gen) truck flow aluminum cylinder heads. It seems to have built daily well, fully studded, main girdle things like that. I am unsure of cam as I have not pulled the cover off to see cam specs yet but I do know it’s a roller.

I had thought about going to 351 route but I had looked more into a stroked Cleveland, rather than Windsor (I guess cause I like to be different?)

Wesley

I have a 347 that was built in the 90's best I can tell and it seems to have aged well. Look up Richard Holdner on youtube, he has a video discussing the 302 roller block's breaking point, pretty interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by jaybee View Post
      Similar project in my garage, Maverick, 347 with a 5 speed!

Quote Originally Posted by RMMiller View Post
      I have a 347 that was built in the 90's best I can tell and it seems to have aged well. Look up Richard Holdner on youtube, he has a video discussing the 302 roller block's breaking point.

I was told the stroker engine I have was built by a reputable engine builder back east, I do not recall who or even which state. It has a roller cam, but is not a roller block. I have actually been in contact with someone locally who has a mild strokes 351c that is looking for a 347 stroker.

Wesley

Quote Originally Posted by RMMiller View Post
      I have a 347 that was built in the 90's best I can tell and it seems to have aged well. Look up Richard Holdner on youtube, he has a video discussing the 302 roller block's breaking point, pretty interesting.
      Good to hear. You won't have any trouble finding people to tell you a 347 can't last, but you'll find almost as many who'll tell you they've run one for years and tens of thousands of miles without problems. I'm sure there's some validity to the complaints about wrist pin placement, rod length/stroke ratio and the like, but there are other engines well thought of with exactly those same issues. Plus the rod length/stroke ratio isn't that far from the supposed ideal.

I think the bottom line is that if you buy good parts, get quality machine work, assemble it all carefully, maintain it properly, and let it warm up adequately before you hammer it like you should with any engine it'll live a long time. Pick poor parts, use sloppy assembly, let the maintenance slide, and beat a cold engine and it won't last. Period.

John B

Different is good.

John B

Neat project! Really interested to see how you like the DSE front end, I've been curious about them for a while.

As jaybee pointed out above, strokers are really the way to go here. The best application for a 331/347 is in a early ford that still has the shock towers in place, limiting space. With your setup, you've have no issues at all with a 351 based stroker, just watch your hood clearance.

FWIW, I've have a Windsor based stroker in my Ranchero, a 393. I only ended up with this setup because I collected all the major parts off of CL for cheap over a period of time. I wish I would have gone with a cleveland stoker, just to be different. I've run several clevelands in the past and love the potential of them. AND, with your setup -you'd have NO issue getting to the plugs!
      chunger

'68 Ranchero 500
      '70 Cougar XR-7 Convertible
      '98 Mustang GT Convertible

Wesley,

With a '66 in my garage I'm signing on for this project to unfold. Lots of great stuff already going on with yours.

Question on your rear quarter "scoops" "air intakes" ?? Can you enlighten me as I'm intrigued with the design versus the standard Shelby add on.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by JMG-63 View Post
      Wesley,

With a '66 in my garage I'm signing on for this project to unfold. Lots of great stuff already going on with yours.

Question on your rear quarter "scoops" "air intakes" ?? Can you enlighten me as I'm intrigued with the design versus the standard Shelby add on.

Jeff
      Hi Jeff,

I would like to say it will be a quick build since the foundation is already done but with 3 kids it will take some time. But I will get it done.

The quarter vents are in fact functional “brake” cooling. I like them as it is something different rather than the normal Shelby scoops. I’ll get you some pictures to show this. The rear quarter panels have also been sectioned and dropped 2” in the back. Just little things like this that give it a different look.

Wesley

Quote Originally Posted by t1tndra View Post
      Hi Jeff,

I would like to say it will be a quick build since the foundation is already done but with 3 kids it will take some time. But I will get it done.

The quarter vents are in fact functional “brake” cooling. I like them as it is something different rather than the normal Shelby scoops. I’ll get you some pictures to show this. The rear quarter panels have also been sectioned and dropped 2” in the back. Just little things like this that give it a different look.

Wesley

Wesley, Thanks for the pics - perfect view. I am thinking about stealing your idea on these scoops. Well done sir.

None of our builds are quick. My '55 is 5-1/2 years in and I have no kids...

Name:  IMG_2370.JPG
Views: 746
Size:  304.4 KBName:  IMG_2368.JPG
Views: 769
Size:  304.3 KB

Modified quarter vents for brake cooling.

You have a awesome starting platform ! those rear quarter scoops are different but nicely done, quality work for sure. fwiw i would keep the 347 stroker unless you want big power. do you know what balance (50oz, 28oz or neutral ) your motor has ? that will have a lot of influence how far you can push that motor.
      1965 mustang fastback. a pro-touring concoction of oem, race & custom fab...build thread here https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...Racesteed-quot
      1975 harley ironhead custom long chopper. home built dream machine. fast, loud & beautiful

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com