Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Curious about spare tire ideas

Since most of us are running big brakes and oversized wheels on these cars I am curious what everyone is using for spares and jack setups? Don't want to kill all the room in the trunk or have crap bouncing around in my 71 Lemans so would really like some ideas. TIA

I have Baer 13 inch front ad 12 inch brakes on my 1979 Z-28 .And 17 x 8 wheels and tires ,So have a 17 x 7 inch Torque Thrust II .So I can use it front or back .Since the offsets are different
      Attached Images Attached Images  

Check out modernspare.com, aluminum space saver type spares made for modern cars with large caliper/brake set-ups and they offer scissor type jacks. Tire plug kit and compressor and hope the tire is only damaged in the tread area. AAA membership. Roll the dice and send it with no spare.

Cell phone.

Country Flag: United States
      Going without a spare is unwise. Cell phone coverage is not guaranteed everywhere, and even deep in the heart of your plan's coverage area there will be dead spots extending in some cases for miles. And even if you do get that call to AAA, you're not guaranteed a response, or a tow truck driver. If you do get one, it may be hours or even the next day before a driver actually shows up. Fix a flat and other on the road repair kits are also only good if the flat is a small hole within the tread area. If the flat is near the sidewall, it's not going to work, nor will it work if the hole is larger than a nail. If the sidewall gets cut up by the rim before you can get stopped, you're out of luck. I had a car that depended upon a fix-a-flat kit for flats, and about a month after I bought it I picked up a screw. Before I could get safely stopped, the rim shredded the sidewall. It took 3 hours to get the car to the dealer, and a week for a new tire while I was in a loaner from the dealer. Had I had a spare, I would have been back on the road in 15 minutes. I'd still have had to wait on a tire, but at least the rest of my day wouldn't have been ruined. And, that was 3 hours in a fairly large town with multiple tow truck operators. Don't know how long it would have been had I been, say, 50 miles out of town.

Before deciding on my truck I was looking at a Mercedes R170 for a project. That car uses a weird inflatable spare. The wheelwell is too small for a full size tire, both in height and diameter, so they have a spare that when the tire isn't aired up, its outer diameter is smaller. The accepted means of transporting the bad wheel, and I kid you not on this, is to put the wheel in the passenger seat. If you have a passenger, it rides in their lap. The trunk's not big enough to carry the wheel. What I was going to do on that one was use the factory spare, and install a Class 1 trailer hitch. I was then going to build a bracket to hold the full size wheel on the class A hitch in the event of a flat. The bracket would ride in the trunk when not needed. This would be an alternative for anyone with a small trunk, or a trunk full of equipment. A Class 1 hitch weighs next to nothing, is plenty strong enough to carry a spare tire, and would be practically invisible when not in use.

Something along the lines of this.

I use one of these. https://www.ebay.com/itm/2006-Pontia...QAAOSwZstfNuH7

Corvette spares are the same 2008-2015 ish I believe ???

Or just Get the GTO spare wheel. I think they clear pretty big rotors? 17X4"

Or Caddy spare? 18X4"

https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=174706

Ctsv 18” spare clears my c6z06 brakes. I bought a entire kit off of eBay so I have a jack and everything

AAA card is my only solution.
      1972 Plymouth 'Cuda - Not LS-swapped, 5.7L Hemi [MS3 Gold Box], T56 Magnum 6-speed - 'Cuda Build Page
      1976 Dodge D100 - Warlock
      2016 Subaru WRX - E30 Tune

I wound up going with a space saver for a vette. going to take up more room than I like but at least I will have a spare

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com