Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

Using -AN fittings and SS PTFE hose for Power Steering

Gathering components for my power steering hoses, high pressure and returns. My Steering box is a '96 Jeep Grand Cherokee, so I'm going to use LEE 16mm and 18mm adapters that both terminate in -6AN male. For those who have used -AN plumbing for their lines, did you use swivel 90's coming out of the box or did you just clock and lock? And if you used -AN what brand and why? I prefer black anodized for the hose ends and elbows but black SS hose is simply painted and the paint comes off fairly easily. The reservoir tank is a Billet Specialties with -6AN and -10AN fittings and I've got to put 90° fittings on the bottom rather than kink the hoses from the core support mounting spot.

Honestly the only line I'm really concerned about is the high pressure line going from the -6AN on the GM Type II pump back to the steering box. While the hoses have a certain amount of flex in them, I wasn't sure whether swiller fittings are necessary. Pix if you have any are always appreciated (pix=1000 words LOL).

Mike
      '69 LeMans Blue Coupe, White Interior, Massaged .030" over 454, Super T10 4-Speed,
      Holley 4150, Pertronix Ignition, CompCams Xtreme Energy XS274S, 781 Oval Port Heads

I used Earls power steering hose ends,and hose. I just clocked where I wanted them.

I used some insulation where it runs near the header.

https://www.holley.com/products/plum...arts/139106ERL
      Attached Images Attached Images  

I used the Earl's PS black AN fittings and their black PS hose. Had to clock them.

I can't stand silver unless it's on a hot rod. Thankfully mine doesn't run near my headers.
      http://www.TheFOAT.com/92GTA
      1969 Pontiac Firebird
      w/535ci IAII aluminum block, Dailey dry sump, Holley EFI (full road race build). Primer black w/black interior.
      1992 Pontiac Trans Am GTA w/SLP Performance Package. Dark Jade Grey Metallic, grey leather, T-Tops.

I ordered the 16mm and 18mm adapters from LEE Power Steering. They are aluminum. Can you not use aluminum hose ends on power steering high pressure line? I ordered PTFE hose and aluminum ends from FORE Innovations, just curious why LEE uses aluminum for the adapters?
      '69 LeMans Blue Coupe, White Interior, Massaged .030" over 454, Super T10 4-Speed,
      Holley 4150, Pertronix Ignition, CompCams Xtreme Energy XS274S, 781 Oval Port Heads

I never seen an aluminum fitting being used for power steering as it is a high pressure system.

To be clear, you need steel or SS fittings only the HIGH-pressure side, NOT the LOW-pressure side. I can assure you that whatever aluminum fittings you have, they are only intended for use on the LOW-pressure side of the system.

TurnOne provided me with SS fittings for both the high and low pressure connections on their steering box just as I have SS fittings for ALL of the connections on my hydroboost. As stated, I used Earl's PS fittings on the high side (which are steel) and Earl's PS line. For the low, I used Mr Gasket aluminum fittings and Mr Gasket braided hose on the low. The fittings welded to the remote reservoir are of course aluminum too.
      1969 Pontiac Firebird
      w/535ci IAII aluminum block, Dailey dry sump, Holley EFI (full road race build). Primer black w/black interior.
      1992 Pontiac Trans Am GTA w/SLP Performance Package. Dark Jade Grey Metallic, grey leather, T-Tops.

I used Fragola steel fittings on my high pressure side and and Fragola al on the low pressure side. The hose was also sec'ed Fragola power steering to handle the pressures seen in bump conditions. No problems and everything works just fine.http://fragolaperformancesystems.com
      Attached Images Attached Images  
      1969 Camaro (Small Tyre Restomod/mild Protour) 245/40/18 F, 275/35/18 R, stock frame, full Ridetech suspension, LS engine, T56 Mag, Wilwood Brakes. A driver car.

I used the blue colored Earl's hose and fittings specifically for power steering. I only needed it for my high pressure line. the rest of the plumbing for that system is just standard SS AN braided hose and fittings.
      '95 F-150 track ready street beast
      Want more projects/photos? Check my Instagram

This may sound like a dumb question... but are all -AN PTFE major brand hoses made to a specific standard? Reason I ask is that if I want to use brand X hose for my return and supply from reservoir lines do I need Brand X fittings or will any -6AN or -10AN PTFE hose be OK? Second dumb question; of course I understand that the high pressure hose has to be high pressure rated for PS, but what about the low pressure lines? Do they have to be "power steering spec" for high pressure even though they are simple return lines?

Probably gonna use EARL's black steel -6AN fittings and hose on the HP side, thinking I could use Brand X aluminum -AN6 coming out of the box and connecting to the reservoir. Likewise, the feed to the PS pump is low pressure so I could use aluminum there as well on the -10AN... right?

Quote Originally Posted by OldTimer View Post
      This may sound like a dumb question... but are all -AN PTFE major brand hoses made to a specific standard? Reason I ask is that if I want to use brand X hose for my return and supply from reservoir lines do I need Brand X fittings or will any -6AN or -10AN PTFE hose be OK?
      From what I have seen and heard, not a good idea.The thickness of both the hose itself as well as the outer braid can vary and that tolerance being within a very specific range is what allows these screw together fittings work so well. Sure you could play with finding out what brand works with what other brands, but it's smarter to just pick a brand and stick with it. Like I hate how much the fittings for Earl's Ultra Pro costs, but that hose and fitting combo works so damn well for most of what I do that it has been super easy to trust everything is happy together.
      '95 F-150 track ready street beast
      Want more projects/photos? Check my Instagram

Agreed, I wouldn't mix and match. I use Earl's fittings with Earl's hose and I use Mr Gasket fittings with Mr Gasket hose.

If you go to Holley's site, it's easier to see which of their fittings can work with each of their hoses. You can mix and match them just a but. But I'd stay all within 1 company for everything to ensure absolute compatibility.

Also, keep in mind there can be PTFE SS braided and nylon hoses which are not at all compatible. So a PTFE fitting won't work on ALL PTFE hoses.
      1969 Pontiac Firebird

Quote Originally Posted by Motobrewmaster View Post
      I used Fragola steel fittings on my high pressure side and and Fragola al on the low pressure side. The hose was also sec'ed Fragola power steering to handle the pressures seen in bump conditions. No problems and everything works just fine.http://fragolaperformancesystems.com
      Since they're semi-local, (an hour away) I called Fragola and asked them the proverbial question: What fittings for the high pressure Power Steering line? He told me that Fragola aluminum P/S fittings are designed/tested/spec'd at 3000 psi, typically pumps are rated for 1200 psi for regular steering and dropped to 800 psi for rack & pinion setups. The tech guy said that they've sold aluminum P/S fittings for years and have never had any issues. What he did say is that you must use the specified -AN hose to ensure a solid fit. Here's their spec sheet for PS Fittings:

Name:  Fragola-00.jpg
Views: 1949
Size:  133.6 KB

He also noted that 99% of all their fittings are made in house down in Connecticut, or made to spec by US suppliers usually for some stainless steel fittings. He did agree that the low pressure side is not as critical, but suggested that I use fittings and hoses from the same source. So I sent them an email later with a list of parts to get some confirmation of our discussion, and if all looks good, I'll go with Fragola. Interesting in that the Aluminum P/S part like a 45 Degree -6AN fitting (P/N 254606) is more than twice the price of the identical steel part (P/N 254506).

Mike

The steel fittings are WAY easier to use. I felt much more comfortable getting the steel fittings properly compressed on the PS hose than the Aluminum fittings. Thus I used the steel for the high pressure side and the Al for the low pressure side. And yes I like to support US and even better New England companies like Fragola.
      1969 Camaro (Small Tyre Restomod/mild Protour) 245/40/18 F, 275/35/18 R, stock frame, full Ridetech suspension, LS engine, T56 Mag, Wilwood Brakes. A driver car.

Yeah I never would have felt comfortable cranking down on an aluminum fitting like I needed to do on the steel to make it fit into the high pressure hydrualic hose even with the Earl's lube.
      1969 Pontiac Firebird

I wound up ordering all the Earl's fittings and hoses direct from Holley. Everything should arrive shortly and I can get going with putting together the hoses, finish that task. Still have to mount the reservoir tank which will be a PITA because of the RS headlights and the Billet Specialties tank clamp. Might fab up a bracket to mount on the core support so messing with it would be easier. Or... use a different mount.

Mike

I put mine on the radiator support right on the driver's side of the radiator, my coolant overflow is exactly opposite so it balances it out visually. I have my PS cooler mounted on the inside of the lower valance so it has direct airflow, isn't in front of the condensor/radiator, and it makes the lines an easy shot to the reservoir. My PS filter is behind my washer fluid bottle, which on the Firebird is on the core support between the PS reservoir and the fender. It all packages perfectly.

My only downside is that I have to swing the core support to fender brace out of the way to take the lid of the PS reservoir.
      1969 Pontiac Firebird

I found AN banjo fittings made by Unisteer. They screw into the box and you can AN from there. I also used on on the back of the pump. The low height of the banjo gives extra clearance.
      Tracey

Quote Originally Posted by Motobrewmaster View Post

Is that an excessive amount of threads still showing on the black fitting??
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

Are you driver enough? Maybe....come on blue!
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...71#post1147371

Quote Originally Posted by anguilla1980 View Post
      I put mine on the radiator support right on the driver's side of the radiator, my coolant overflow is exactly opposite so it balances it out visually. I have my PS cooler mounted on the inside of the lower valance so it has direct airflow, isn't in front of the condensor/radiator, and it makes the lines an easy shot to the reservoir. My PS filter is behind my washer fluid bottle, which on the Firebird is on the core support between the PS reservoir and the fender. It all packages perfectly.

My only downside is that I have to swing the core support to fender brace out of the way to take the lid of the PS reservoir.

Any pictures of this? I'm looking to do a remote reservoir setup when I switch to the hydra boost brake setup

Quote Originally Posted by 1320str8liner View Post
      Any pictures of this? I'm looking to do a remote reservoir setup when I switch to the hydra boost brake setup
      Here are a couple I just took for you...

.Name:  P_20201114_133755.jpg
Views: 1811
Size:  146.9 KBName:  P_20201114_133733.jpg
Views: 1793
Size:  167.8 KB
      1969 Pontiac Firebird

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com