Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

1966 mustang pro touring setup

Hi guys, i am pretty new to the pro touring scene and i am slowly but surely building my '66 mustang coupe as a pro touring car.

The car will be driven on the sreet with occasionnal track days at my local track.

I was wondering what most of you mustang guys (65-70) are running as a suspension setup on your vntage mustangs?

Theres a lot of options out there !

Also, are you guys still on steering boxes or rack and pinion conversions?

Thanks in advance!

Country Flag: United States
      check out www.mustangstofear.com

they are the absolute best place for classic mustangs. their suspensions and fiberglass is second to none
      Justin Hocking
      67 Mustang Coupe to Fastback swap
      TCI front and rear
      Detroit Mini Tub

Future coyote

^ Ditto.

I'm running their C6 front setup and ordered their full floating Watts link. The parts are great, the service is better. Rich is always available to answer any question I have.

My one gripe with them is the lack of detail on their site about the components of the Full Floater...After hammering them with questions I finally found its built with the Strange Pro-Touring floater kit.
      66 Mustang Coupe project in progress
      C6 front suspension - Strange Full floating 9 inch - Watts link

Quote Originally Posted by drzmat View Post
      Hi guys, i am pretty new to the pro touring scene and i am slowly but surely building my '66 mustang coupe as a pro touring car.

The car will be driven on the sreet with occasionnal track days at my local track.

I was wondering what most of you mustang guys (65-70) are running as a suspension setup on your vntage mustangs?

Theres a lot of options out there !

Also, are you guys still on steering boxes or rack and pinion conversions?

Thanks in advance!
      Just a word of advice, be realistic with your driving intention and expectations. For instance, how many times does occasional mean to you? After that, what's your budget? If handling is your primary goal, I'd take a look at companies who drive their own product on the track. If budget is a concern, look at Open Tracker Racing products. After that, the budget goes up. You can look at Street or Track, Mike Maier Racing (MOD 1 kit), and Global West to name a few. As for the steering, ask the aforementioned companies what they use. "NEW" factory boxes are just as good as rack and pinion. If you "NEED" to eliminate shock towers, Mustangs to Fear is a good option, but I haven't seen any of there kits on the track. There's also Rod & Custom Motorsports. These are mustang II based suspensions kits (at least Mustang's to Fears entry level kit) based on pictures I have seen and what I've read. Companies I know who track their own products and have kits that eliminate shock towers are: TCI engineering, Detroit Speed, Mike Maier Racing (MOD 2 kit), Roadster Shop, Cortex Racing, and Griggs Racing to name a few. I am personally using Art Morrison in my build.
      Robert Icasas

Projects:
      67 Cougar
      Art Morrison Sport IFS
      3-link Rear Suspension
      Coyote w/ D&D Performance Viper t56

Go look up some videos of historic trans am racing, and ask yourself if you are really going to drive your car harder than they did/do. With sticky tires and basic mods like a panhard bar out back, good springs/shocks, roller spring perches, and the shelby drop you can have plenty of fun on the track.

Changing to coilovers and a link or torque arm suspension is cool but not necessary to have fun and go fast. If you are entering a national open rules competition series you might need that stuff but there have been leaf spring cars take top prize in many of those as well.

Street or track, opentracker, and maier racing are all highly recommended and race their own suspension. Maier you will find maier racing and mike maier inc, it was a father son team that have opened their own shops. I can't say which is better.
      James
      1969 Mustang Fastback

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com