Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

How adjustable can a suspension be?

Is anyone tracking their car and driving it on the street?

Is it possible to have a suspension that you can adjust to a stiffer more rigid setting for a track day, and then change it back to something more mannered for the street?
      Rick
      65 Fastback Mustang
      89 Daytona Shelby
      18 Charger R/T Superbee

Country Flag: United States
      I keep track of how many shims are on each of my upper a-arms fore and aft for additional camber during HPDEs then remove them afterwards for street duty.

Plus of course most have the adjustable shocks you can easily turn the knob on them.

I don't have true coil-overs, but if you did then you could also adjust your ride hide height depending on what you are doing.

Don't forget changing from track brake pads to street and maybe swapping your wheels/tires too.
      http://www.TheFOAT.com/92GTA
      1969 Pontiac Firebird
      w/535ci IAII aluminum block, Dailey dry sump, Holley EFI (full road race build). Primer black w/black interior.
      1992 Pontiac Trans Am GTA w/SLP Performance Package. Dark Jade Grey Metallic, grey leather, T-Tops.

I add shims for camber and swap brake pads when a change from street to auto-x. I don’t mess with my shocks, but I could if I felt the need. I also leave my toe adjust the same, but it’s maybe not the best for lots of street.

I have a Vette Brakes Adjustable C-4 Corvette mono leaf suspension in my 1979 Z-28 RS Pro touring Camaro,I can adjust the ride height and the spring stiffness in a variety of ways.Along with Koni adjustable shocks But unfortunately they dont make it anymore .But there may be companies that have similar systemsName:  130044932860518017.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  217.9 KB

Thanks for the reaponses.

Good stuff. ����
      Rick
      65 Fastback Mustang
      89 Daytona Shelby
      18 Charger R/T Superbee

The only thing I adjust is the shocks and tire pressures. I leave the toe out, camber set to what I run for autocross. From my experience toe has the biggest effect on tire wear. I put 10K miles a year on my car. The farthest I've drove for an event was from Missouri to Pennsylvanian and back, no issues. In the future I'd like to get a set of street tires and wheels.
      Sean James

69 Firebird - Build Thread
      72 Firebird

Absolutely! The primary thing I change is shock settings. Just keep a notebook with details on different settings along with the base that you like on the street. I personally leave camber and everything else alone, but if you run pretty radical track settings on expensive tires you might want do dial that back too before many street miles.
      '95 F-150 track ready street beast
      Want more projects/photos? Check my Instagram

I change my watts link roll center position, and occasionally antisquat setting. I try to change all that the night before though, and generally change it back for street driving because driving with a really high rear roll center is the slidey-type fun that life is made for.

1969 442 6.0L LQ9 T56
      Fab9 w/ custom 3 Link conversion
      FAYS2 Watts link
      Thanks to Mark at SC&C for his honesty and passion for the sport, and Ron Sutton for the wealth of knowledge that has helped shape so many of the cars on this site.

I built my suspension, coilver brackets and lateral bars have multiple mounting holes, watts link is adjustable, adjustable torque arm w/ front crossmember that is adjustable. the roll center and maybe ride height/ shock stiffness would be the only rear settings i would want to change. the front is adjustable as well, as stated above using shims on the upper arms would be easiest way to change camber.
      1965 mustang fastback. a pro-touring concoction of oem, race & custom fab...build thread here https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...Racesteed-quot
      1975 harley ironhead custom long chopper. home built dream machine. fast, loud & beautiful

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com