Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

3" to 3" band clamps ???

Looking for opinions and real world experience on connecting a 3" collector to a 3" exhaust pipe. This will be for my new Hooker BlackHeart BH13181 long tube headers to my existing 3" pipes.
      Would these be the way to go? What brand would be best, Hooker, Pypes, Walker, or (insert brand name here) ???

41173hkr_011921 by F G, on Flickr
      bh13181_0119242 by F G, on Flickr

Country Flag: United States
      I have those on my exhaust and they leak like a sieve. I can see carbon getting past them onto the exhaust.

My next system I'll be going all V-band clamps.
      http://www.TheFOAT.com/92GTA
      1969 Pontiac Firebird
      w/535ci IAII aluminum block, Dailey dry sump, Holley EFI (full road race build). Primer black w/black interior.
      1992 Pontiac Trans Am GTA w/SLP Performance Package. Dark Jade Grey Metallic, grey leather, T-Tops.

Quote Originally Posted by anguilla1980 View Post
      I have those on my exhaust and they leak like a sieve. I can see carbon getting past them onto the exhaust.

My next system I'll be going all V-band clamps.
      Thanks, That's what I was afraid of.. even though Hooker shows them using the band clams, I wasn't sure how they would seal.

BH13182_16 by F G, on Flickr

Ball flanges for headers

My Hooker headers have 2-1/2" collectors so I welded on some Walker ball flanges onto the collectors: PN41723 & 41726 they're only $10 ea, $20 for a set of four. Unfortunately, Walker doesn't make 3" ball flanges, but Flowmaster does; PN15930 for a 3" to 3" and 15925 for a 3" to 2-1/2" reducer set if your exhaust piping is 2-1/2". The bad news is they're much more expensive than the Walker parts; $120 for a set (2 flanges & 2 balls). Here's a pic of the Walker parts.

Rodney

Name:  DSC09485.jpg
Views: 284
Size:  95.9 KB
      Rodney Meyers
      72 Olds 442 Rest-mod clone

they seal fine if used correctly.. correctly = clean surface, two pipes are Square to one another and you use a wee bit of sealant..
      that said I use V clamps on my car.. but would and have used these.. for lower end builds..
      From a place you will not see comes a sound you will not hear....

67 Camaro In progress

https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...-Tap-67-camaro

You need to be careful and qualify the responses you get as many users confuse the clamps you are asking about with generic coupler clamps they’ve used in the past that look similar on their exterior, but do not have the internal interlock sleeve feature inside them like the Hooker Blackheart couplers do. I have used both and there is a big difference between them in their ability to prevent leaks.

Quote Originally Posted by Toddoky View Post
      You need to be careful and qualify the responses you get as many users confuse the clamps you are asking about with generic coupler clamps they’ve used in the past that look similar on their exterior, but do not have the internal interlock sleeve feature inside them like the Hooker Blackheart couplers do. I have used both and there is a big difference between them in their ability to prevent leaks.
      I was wondering about the quality of most of the ones I see on line.. once again, i'm taking your advice and ordered a set of Hooker 41173HKR clamps

Quote Originally Posted by Just 1 More View Post
      I was wondering about the quality of most of the ones I see on line.. once again, i'm taking your advice and ordered a set of Hooker 41173HKR clamps
      Here's a couple more images that better depict what the differences are between the two clamps. Notice the interlock sleeve inside the Hooker Blackheart coupler that prevents a leak path and compare that to the common generic coupler that has no such inner sleeve. The generic clamp will create a guaranteed leak path. Name:  HB coupler.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  226.3 KBName:  common generic coupler.jpeg
Views: 283
Size:  47.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Toddoky View Post
      Here's a couple more images that better depict what the differences are between the two clamps. Notice the interlock sleeve inside the Hooker Blackheart coupler that prevents a leak path and compare that to the common generic coupler that has no such inner sleeve. The generic clamp will create a guaranteed leak path. Name:  HB coupler.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  226.3 KBName:  common generic coupler.jpeg
Views: 283
Size:  47.9 KB

Pretty cool, Thanks

I've used the "standard" 3" band clamp many times with good success over the years. Then I found the "stepped" 3" band clamps that are designed for a expanded exhaust tube. Half of the clamp fits over the 3" tube and the other half is slightly larger to fit over the expanded tube. So the first piece of exhaust tubing connected to the header is expanded just enough to slip over the header. Then use the stepped 3" clamp. Always expand the down stream exhaust tube so the up stream slides inside. Much less chance of a leak.
      Today I do it a bit differently. Same thoughts on the upstream tube fitting into the expanded down stream tube but today I use the narrow (1 1/4"wide?) band clamps that are used on new car and trucks. I cut a half dozen 1" long cuts in the expanded down stream tube so the clamp can really clamp down. As said above a little muffler cement helps. Still easy to take apart if needed.

We use the stepped style on 18 wheeler applications as well as heavy equipment applications and they are great. I have yet to use them on a hotrod but will be this go around

TANKMASTERJ
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...touring-Camaro
      Jasons Toys
      67 Camaro White Lightning LMR LS7 powered, Speed tech Front and Rear.
      2023 Rapid Blue ZL1 the Blue Devil
      2000 HD Softail
      1989 CBR Hurricane anniversary edition

Put a bead of Permatex Ultra Copper silicone on the pipe connection before installing the clamp.

Tighten & wipe off the excess, then let dry for a few hours before running.
      Works great & does not burn off.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com