Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Ideas for wiper cowl openings?

Having these openings no longer serves any purpose for Astro Ventilation, I'm closing up the intake on the firewall and have a Vintage Air unit installed.
      I do have to leave them open to access the wiper assembly but my original plastic grill is trashed. I had a piece of formed ABS over them for a while but with a professional paint job I don't think I'll be happy leaving it that way. I could build a metal frame and use some kind of metal mesh...
      The original cover is not available. Thoughts on what I can do to keep leaves out?
      Name:  ws_cowl.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  312.1 KB

Country Flag: Canada
      What car ?
      Spinnin'my tires in life's fast lane

Ryan Austin
      On twitter @raustinss
      On Instagram austinss70

It is a 69 Impala.The hood covers most of it.

If stock pieces aren't being reproduced, can you fabricate something (out of steel mesh material surrounded by formed metal strap)?

I don't know if your car has the flow through ventilation but I would look at something that does not totally stop any air from getting into that area to keep the cowl sides and rocker sills dry.

Even if the aftermarket air system does not require the kick panel vents to stay in place I would maybe try and retain them. Sometimes fresh air from the kick panels is nice.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Peanut1959 View Post
      If stock pieces aren't being reproduced, can you fabricate something (out of steel mesh material surrounded by formed metal strap)?
      Yes but there is no symmetry to the piece (or the openings) at all. I think I'm coming around to having it painted body color.

- - - Updated - - -

That's a good point and I had intended on leaving them open. I'm certain there are drain openings at the front of the rockers, I don't know about the rear.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Streib View Post
      I don't know if your car has the flow through ventilation but I would look at something that does not totally stop any air from getting into that area to keep the cowl sides and rocker sills dry.

Even if the aftermarket air system does not require the kick panel vents to stay in place I would maybe try and retain them. Sometimes fresh air from the kick panels is nice.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by JustJohn View Post
      Yes but there is no symmetry to the piece (or the openings) at all. I think I'm coming around to having it painted body color.

- - - Updated - - -
      If you are wanting symmetry then maybe since you need to have access to install and remove the wiper linkage, have the wiper linkage in hand and see how much smaller you could make the openings and/or enlarge them in area's to allow more possibilities on getting something to look how you want it to.

I know when I relocated the wiper motor on my 73 Nova years ago I had to do some trial and error things and just to add if this stuff was easy, EVERYONE would do it but it's not sometimes with things.

Maybe too could a section of existing metal be cut out of the top of the cowl where the wiper shafts do bolt in and then have tabs welded on to where one could have the wiper shafts and arms bolted to the metal, then the metal put in place and bolted down and then have the wiper arm end that connects to the motor sticking out of the face of the firewall as your last mechanical connection before bolting the motor to the firewall.

Jim

What are some common styling cues you are using? Louvers? Wire mesh? dimple die holes? etc.?
      I would go to McMaster Carr and look thru their selections of screening materials. Fine count wire mesh and perforated hole patterns are available in a hundred different styles. Make a grille to cover the whole cowl and make it symmetrical if that is the look you want.
      Here are a couple of examples:
      https://www.mcmaster.com/screens/clo...ated-sheets-7/

https://www.mcmaster.com/screens/clo...-wire-cloth-7/
      Mark:
      "Bad Ast" Astro Van. Just because I did it... Doesn't mean it's possible...
      This my Bad Ast thread...
      https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...roject-Faze-II
      This is my Fotki album...
      http://astroracer.fotki.com/

There are many places that sell perforated metal mesh in different patterns that could be used to create a new grille. I for one would not get rid of the flow through ventilation. I have it on my 69 Cougar and 60 Chevy wagon and it's the best on those cool summer nights.

Tracey

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com