Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

DSE Speed 3 kit JRi Coilover Install Questions

I am prepping the stock frame for the DSE JRi Coilover setup and I ran into an issue or concern.

Per the instruction on installing the setup in a 69 Camaro the top shock hole was enlarged to 1" using a uni bit. The problem I am running into is the actual bushing install and how it sits on the bottom side of the frame. In the instructions I see the bushing should sit almost flush but when I install the bushing it sits closer to a 30 deg angle. Even with the shock in place and snug it down the shock rests at an angle. I can force it straight but then I am putting quite a bit of side load on the shock shaft. The outer edge of the bushing is pushing up against the frame not letting it bottom out.

This seems like a rather easy fix, but I wanted to get others opinions on this. It seems the resolution is to weld up the hole and re-drill closer to center or inward. I could also trim the bushing and black washer to accommodate the angle of the frame. None of this is in the instructions so my question is what do you guys do? I have 3 subframes sitting here in my storage. I measured the center of the shock mounts and all three and they all seem to be within 1/8" at 35 1/2. I do not see this is related to a bad frame. Possibly just a variance in the bends, maybe...

I sent this exact question to DSE and waiting for the reply. What would you do?

The bottom bushing dia. is 1.760
      The black washer is about the same 1.755

DSE first response was I need to get feedback from an engineer. I will update the post when they respond.

Has anyone else installed these “bolt on” kits?

Called DSE this morning and got the following response.

- I should relieve the bushing to sit flush. Basically cut an angle on the bushing.
      - Cut and weld a flat patch for the bushing to sit flush.

Overall the bushing seems to be to big. they said they has not seen this before... I find this very hard to believe, but whatever. It's part of building/assembling cars.

I could post pics of the installed shock once done, but judging from the responses here it might not be that interesting.

Country Flag: United States
      I was interested but didn’t have a solution. I do know that side loading on conversion coilovers can lead to shock failure.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Quote Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
      I was interested but didn’t have a solution. I do know that side loading on conversion coilovers can lead to shock failure.

Don
      Hi Don,

That is exactly why I wanted to get DSE to respond. I am aware of the issues with these type of hybrid coilover setups from QA1 and others that reported problems. I actually was on the fence with the install. Not really to many threads on the new dse setups to know how they perform (or at least from googles perspective). I can say the shock is a really nice piece. The shock shaft seems to be a bit larger than the competing coilovers setups. The Jri coil-over uses a 5/8" shaft. That is the reason for the 1" hole needed. I am also doing a DSE no-no and using ATS Spindles, instead of their recommended stock height spindles.

I have a DSE coil spring and shock setup I was planning to use, but in the end I decided to just try it. I had a spare subframe, so I decided to try it on my spare and if I don't like it sell it and run my original subframe with a standard coil spring shock setup. The car is 100% street. No events, I just want a lowered setup and to feel solid and take me around town, work, etc.

- - - Updated - - -

I went ahead and just modified the bushing per DSE recommendation.

I used a razor blade to get a rough cut of the angle then used a belt sander to finish the fit. It now sits flush in the pocket. and there is just a 1/16 to 1 1/32nd of clearance around the cut side to the frame.

Country Flag: United States
      I’m sure it will be fine. I love the JRI shocks on my AME subframe.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com