Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: E-crate engines

Country Flag: United States
      You really don't need to match the range of an ICE for most common driving. People grossly overestimate how much driving they typically do, typically being the operating word. I do not think electric cars are a universal solution at this point but the overwhelming majority of households with 2 vehicles (or 5) would be well served by one of those cars being electric, which would be a massive increase in efficiency.

We do plan to switch over to 2 electrics for our daily drivers in the next couple of years and will either rent a car for the once a year cross country drive or take the track car if needed.

Many of the issues regarding range can be solved by standardization. If the OE's could use a standardized power center (aka battery) then swapping at a battery station becomes practical. That would only take a few minutes to do.

I would love a practical EV powerplant / power center that could supply the equivalent of an LT5 engine, but the timing for such aftermarket offerings is likely 10+ years away at best.
      VaporWorx. We Give You Gas http://www.vaporworx.com

I'm guessing the near/medium future will be households having a "mommy" EV (probably a smaller compact car) and a "daddy" IC vehicle (probably a pickup/SUV).

As for rapidly swapping out standardized batteries at gas stations . . . I dunno. That may be the best system. But it's gonna take a lot of changes to bring that system about. I don't see it happening for a couple more (vehicle) generations of EVs.

I just hope i can finish my current project before gasoline becomes a novelty. And at the rate i am going. Its going to be close.
      Zach

1970 Mach 1 build - Half-Breed (pro-touring.com)

I just hope i can finish my current project before gasoline becomes a novelty. And at the rate i am going. Its going to be close.
      Here's a thought that hits deeper:

In a future EV world where every $15k used sports car can accelerate like it has 700 hp . . . how would that affect your spending priorities? Would you still want to dump a ton of money into a 502" big block or a blown LS3 if it wasn't going to feel particularly fast anymore? Or would you say "Screw it, maybe I'll just run a cheaper engine and put some of that money into other areas of the project"?

Quote Originally Posted by mikedc View Post

In a future EV world where every $15k used sports car can accelerate like it has 700 hp . . . how would that affect your spending priorities? Would you still want to dump a ton of money into a 502" big block or a blown LS3 if it wasn't going to feel particularly fast anymore? Or would you say "Screw it, maybe I'll just run a cheaper engine and put some of that money into other areas of the project"?
      I already went the LS route due to "bang for buck". Id probably just put an electric motor in my hot rod. But batteries have to come way way down in price first. But theres always a case to be made for building a particular engine just because its cool. Even if its not tge fastest. Infact, you will never be the fastest anyway.
      Zach

1970 Mach 1 build - Half-Breed (pro-touring.com)

Quote Originally Posted by mikedc View Post

In that future world, it can be assumed that the recharging problem has been solved. If that is the case, then no - I would get motors from two of those sports cars for the project so as to accelerate like it has 1400HP. If the cars are using wheel on motor, I'd need some fender flares.

Because the only thing better than speed, is twice as much speed. Second place is just the fastest loser.

In that future world, it can be assumed that the recharging problem has been solved. If that is the case, then no - I would get motors from two of those sports cars for the project so as to accelerate like it has 1400HP. If the cars are using wheel on motor, I'd need some fender flares.

Because the only thing better than speed, is twice as much speed. Second place is just the fastest loser.
      It's already recognized that there's a finite amount of HP you can practically use on a street car. That won't change just because it starts coming from batteries instead of gasoline.

EVs will bring sports/muscle cars to that point pretty easily, and not just the exotic expensive models.

Then they will push past it. The electronic driver aids will become mandatory. I mean not just for legal reasons but for performance & safety. Military fighter planes already crossed this point decades ago.

Trying to retrofit all this stuff into a 50yo car . . . incorporating the driver aids successfully . . . I don't see a lot of that happening.

I see a few guys doing the rebody thing, where they take the lower half of a modern car and weld the roof & sides of a classic body onto it. But at that point it's less like PT and more like body-kitting a modern car.

I wouldn't mind a EV as a daily - I actually will probably end up with one in the coming years as my career actually allows me the $$$ to afford one - for shorter commutes I don't see a negative especially if you work in a company that had EV charging stations at work... But not sure doing classic car EV system swaps is something I can truly support - to me it defeats the purpose of having a classic car... but that's just me.

I just can't imagine my Charger or Polara with an electric motor as propulsion...
      1966 Chevrolet Chevelle 300 Deluxe 350 / 350 auto

1968 Dodge Charger SRT8 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed

1964 Dodge Polara 8-71 Blown 440 / 4-speed

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.4L / 5-speed

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed

I would definitely put an electric drivetrain in my 66 if I could purchase a battery that would fit and give me 200 miles of range. And I could afford it. I think all three of these issues will be solved but the question is when.

I also think the next big push in electric vehicles will be short haul trucks. Delivery, cement mixers, garbage trucks, contractors, etc. Every kind of application where the vehicle returns to the same yard each night. They can afford the infrastructure to charge every vehicle at night (when the rates are cheaper) by redirecting the money the currently spend on gas or diesel.
      Most of these vehicles don’t drive 100 miles a day although they would use more kWH due their weight. Not the same for long haul trucking where electrification makes zero sense to me.
      I’m actively looking at companies I can buy stock in for growth opportunities in these applications.
      Worlds Fastest LFX powered 1966 Chevelle, with a 3.6L/217 CI, 4 cam direct injected V6, 6 speed auto, full Hotchkis suspension, 4 wheel Wilwood discs, white w/red interior, cowl hood. 3260 lbs w/full tank. Built for 35 mpg. So far 32.

I think it will be more likely 20-25 years until we see a massive movement with electric cars...I remember when they tried to convert over to E85 hybrid cars...boy that sure took off....That was 25 years ago and we are still use regular fuel.
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

Are you driver enough? Maybe....come on blue!
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...71#post1147371

https://www.motortrend.com/news/tesl...all-block-v-8/

Revolt has a crate motor based on a Tesla, which uses small block Chevy mounts and has a driveshaft yoke. Looks like it fits mostly in the trans tunnel, so once you worked out the battery issue you can convert. 11,900 bucks for this setup, 533HP and 800TQ at the yoke. Run that through some 5.33s and it would probably rip the meat clean off the rear tires, since on an electric it's max torque at 0RPM. With 2.56 rear gears it would likely still run like a scalded dog at WOT but use practically no power at cruise.

I really hope the latest aluminum ion battery technology lives up to its potential. This could be a game changer.
      https://www.forbes.com/sites/michael...n-lithium-ion/

I'd love to build a 1968 Camaro AWD EV

Quote Originally Posted by Just 1 More View Post
      I'd love to build a 1968 Camaro AWD EV
      Oh yeah!

Larry Callahan
      Founder/Administrator of Pro-Touring.com, G-Machines.com and HostMyJunk.com
      To advertise on Pro-Touring.com click here

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com