Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

door weatherstripping is crazy thick

anyone else have this problem? I have to slam the piss out of the door to get it to close! I thought that leaving the doors closed through the last couple months would soften and collapse it a bit, but is has not.

I have heard that different brands are better than others for fitment. Its a 67 camaro so please tell me what yall have for weatherstripping that seals and doesn't require ripping the door off the hinges to close.

Thank you!
      Confucius says, "Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life"

My build Beast

Metro is the best I have found and have used it on many builds.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

I second Metro. I initially bought Soffseal, seemed they had a good reputation for a long time, but then turns out they now manufacture them in India, and I assume somewhere along the line they became lesser quality. I bought Metro seals(off amazon, best price by far) and the quality difference was night and day. my doors and trunk can close now.

I'll give metro a shot...just ordered from Amazon.

Thanks for the input!
      Confucius says, "Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life"

My build Beast

I have had good luck with Metro soft seal weather stripping .You need to pre treat it as well. There is stream on You Tube to give you information on it.

Metro has a great warrantee as well!
      SMSgt Ty Ingle, USAF
      "CF71" - Freedom Bird
      Hoodpins.com, Inland Empire Driveline, Billet Accessories Direct, Modo Innovations, AutoRad Radiators, Morris Classic Concepts, Marquez Design, Anvil Auto, Fesler Billet, US Collision (DOOM), AGR Performance, Pro-touringF-body.com, Phoenix Transmission Products, Shiftworks, ACC Carpet, Hedman Hedders, BMR Fabrication, American Autowire, MityMounts, TIN INDIAN Performance, Kauffman Racing Equipment, Pypes, RobbMc Performance, WMC, Holley, NOS, PST

Quote Originally Posted by Zspoiler View Post
      I have had good luck with Metro soft seal weather stripping .You need to pre treat it as well. There is stream on You Tube to give you information on it.
      I searched for pretreating weatherstrip, but couldn't find anything. Any links?

My build Beast

Country Flag: New Zealand
      I feel your pain as I have just gone through this same exercise with door weatherstrips for my '57 Star Chief. Purchased some off ebay from L & T Reproductions which said exact 100% replicas of original, but after fitting door wouldn't close even after slamming. After comparing it with a piece of the original I found that the new one is 3/8" thicker and much harder rubber.

T & N won't comment on their original claim, and just said send them back. Have now purchased some at twice the price from Steele Rubber which are the same thickness as original, but waiting on delivery, so fingers crossed.
      cheers Russell

My 1957 Pontiac Star Chief powered by a 5.3 LS with a 4L60E transmission, on 18" US Mags Big Slots.

I used metro on everything on my 67. Trunk sat a little bit high but after a couple weeks it settled down.
      My half a$$ed build thread.https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...elle-6-0-4L60E

Tighten it till it strips & back it off a quarter turn.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com