Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

1969 F Body Steering Box ?

Does anyone know if a newer steering box will bolt onto a 69 Camaro. I was told a Grand Cherokee box might work. Anyone have any input?

I think you can go from A to F but not from F to A...

Are you talking about a Saginaw 600 series box? If so, it will work just fine fitment wise. It just mounts using 3 of the 4 bolt holes like factory but that's not a problem.
      http://www.TheFOAT.com/92GTA
      1969 Pontiac Firebird
      w/535ci IAII aluminum block, Dailey dry sump, Holley EFI (full road race build). Primer black w/black interior.
      1992 Pontiac Trans Am GTA w/SLP Performance Package. Dark Jade Grey Metallic, grey leather, T-Tops.

I used a steering box off an s10 extreme. The zq8 suspension package on those trucks included a quick ratio steering box with heavier torsion bar. It’s working great in the car.

I don't understand why anyone would go through the hassle of mix & match a gear box when for another few $$$ you can get a direct replacement AGR box and be done with it.

Another "old school" upgrade is finding an '85-'92 Trans Am GTA or Camaro IROC steering box. The main difference you will see, however, is the later model vehicles have metric threads for the hoses.

Quote Originally Posted by Just 1 More View Post
      I don't understand why anyone would go through the hassle of mix & match a gear box when for another few $$$ you can get a direct replacement AGR box and be done with it.
      It is not my car but the price difference isn't a few dollars. Its a lot of dollars

Thanks everyone

Quote Originally Posted by kochevy67 View Post
      It is not my car but the price difference isn't a few dollars. Its a lot of dollars
      Yeah,, more than just a few I suppose.. My AGR 12:1 box was around $400.. I have to think the IROC or Jeep box would be around $100-$150 and then the fitting adapters, maybe another $25 .. So about $250-$300 more for a good high quality quick ratio box.. Still not bad and worth every penny IMO

I used a Lares 972 in my 68. Originally, I wanted the 10971 because it had the heavier torsion bar but it was not available. The 10:1 of the 972 box did take a little getting used to but now I love it. It is a little soft feeling right off of center and I don't think it is slop because the car does move with the wheel. I have new steering linkage ready to go in anyway. It just feels soft in that range of movement us use to stay centered in the lane. Outside of that, it firms up nicely and is very responsive. I don't notice the softness in the center when I am moving the wheel more aggressively. About the only downside so far is that I can usually turn a corner with a quarter turn or less of the wheel so I don't always catch the cam to turn the turn signal off. Its worse to the left than the right.

Installation was easy as well. Since my engine has a long water pump, I bought a pump, bracket and hoses for a 69. The bracket would have been easier to install if I had three hands but the hoses and box all bolted in with zero issue and no leaks after about 300 miles.

I read up on the IROC box and as I recall, the range of motion is not the same as what a 1st Gen came with so you might lose a bit of your turning radius. I have noticed no issues with my Lares box. I actually emailed Lares to find out the sweep of one of their boxes and it was what the 1st Gen uses. That might have been for the 10971 box though.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com