Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Bolt-on PS Tank or Remote Reservoir?

I'm in the process of installing a CGM serpentine setup on my BBC, the kit comes with Gen II PS pump rigged for a remote reservoir and I guess could be re-configured to take a standard bolt on tank. Any pros or cons on one method or the other? Its going in my '69 Camaro and my Powermaster alternator has a built-in regulator so I have some room on the core support for a remote tank. Like to see what others have done, what you did for hoses as well.

Mike
      '69 LeMans Blue Coupe, White Interior, Massaged .030" over 454, Super T10 4-Speed,
      Holley 4150, Pertronix Ignition, CompCams Xtreme Energy XS274S, 781 Oval Port Heads

Quote Originally Posted by OldTimer View Post
      I'm in the process of installing a CGM serpentine setup on my BBC, the kit comes with Gen II PS pump rigged for a remote reservoir and I guess could be re-configured to take a standard bolt on tank. Any pros or cons on one method or the other? Its going in my '69 Camaro and my Powermaster alternator has a built-in regulator so I have some room on the core support for a remote tank. Like to see what others have done, what you did for hoses as well.

Mike
      Mike,

I think a remote tank would offer bigger fluid capacity, which can be good if you're pushing the steering hard, like during an autocross event. The integral reservoir would certainly be easier and neater to package.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

I started with an integrated then went remote

Resized_20190714_170714 by F G, on Flickr

Resized_20190714_170625 by F G, on Flickr

I went remote and took the opportunity to add a cooler so I wouldn't have issues with my fluid boiling over anymore, which would happen just on spirited mountain road driving let alone a road course. You can also add a PS filter. I got my entire setup from Lee Power Steering (except my steering box, that's TurnOne) and I run a Derale stacked plate cooler with a fan on a thermal switch.

For the lines, I went -6AN on everything and made my own lines using Earl's parts from Holley. I did all black, fittings/hoses, painted the pump, and even had the Lee reservoir (and mount) anodized black. I hid half the lines inside my driver's fender (I run hydroboost too).
      http://www.TheFOAT.com/92GTA
      1969 Pontiac Firebird
      w/535ci IAII aluminum block, Dailey dry sump, Holley EFI (full road race build). Primer black w/black interior.
      1992 Pontiac Trans Am GTA w/SLP Performance Package. Dark Jade Grey Metallic, grey leather, T-Tops.

Quote Originally Posted by Just 1 More View Post
      I started with an integrated then went remote

Resized_20190714_170714 by F G, on Flickr

Resized_20190714_170625 by F G, on Flickr

Wow! Thats exactly what I was thinking. It looks like you used the same hose size throughout? Did you? I emailed Lee Steering and the tech told me I must (and he emphasized must) use -10 AN on the -10 fittings and -6 on the pressure side. Its a little hard to tell in the picture, maybe they're all -10, but can you tell me approximate hose lengths, and all the fittings you used? I might use a different tank, but I was wondering about running the hoses exactly the way you did.

I haven't made an AN hose in a few years, and then it was for a billet catch can on my SVT Lightning. I'll have to watch a YT video or two to refresh my fading old brain. Just looking harder at those great pix... it looks like you ran wiring for the alternator from the firewall? Did you use a MAD setup?
      '69 LeMans Blue Coupe, White Interior, Massaged .030" over 454, Super T10 4-Speed,
      Holley 4150, Pertronix Ignition, CompCams Xtreme Energy XS274S, 781 Oval Port Heads

The -10AN Lee provides is for the return from the bottom of their reservoir to the pump. You use -6AN on everything else.
      http://www.TheFOAT.com/92GTA
      1969 Pontiac Firebird
      w/535ci IAII aluminum block, Dailey dry sump, Holley EFI (full road race build). Primer black w/black interior.
      1992 Pontiac Trans Am GTA w/SLP Performance Package. Dark Jade Grey Metallic, grey leather, T-Tops.

Name:  50111891308_6f28661417_k.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  226.1 KBName:  48476344042_4cc2c4e904_c (1).jpg
Views: 227
Size:  88.3 KB

We went with a PSC reservoir and I'll see if it needs a cooler added, I'm not going to do much more than regular street use and occasionally knock some cones around...

Quote Originally Posted by shelteredchevelle View Post
      Name:  50111891308_6f28661417_k.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  226.1 KBName:  48476344042_4cc2c4e904_c (1).jpg
Views: 227
Size:  88.3 KB

We went with a PSC reservoir and I'll see if it needs a cooler added, I'm not going to do much more than regular street use and occasionally knock some cones around...
      I like your radiator upper hose setup... thinking along the same lines for my setup. Silicon connectors? Those Gates shrink clamps?

Ordered a Billet Specialties reservoir which will get tucked int the corner of the core support like Just 1 More did. Although they have limited fittings, I'll probably get the hose and hose ends from FORE... they're beautifully made in the USA LOL, and maybe the elbows will come from Fragola. Gonna use 45° -6AN pieces (maybe swivels) on the steering box, think a 45° -10AN swivel elbow on the pump feed, 90° -6AN elbow on the pressure out. One of my friends has a nice -AN kit with all the different size holders, aluminum wrenches, and he offered to make the hoses if I bring him a couple of Brisket sandwiches!

Quote Originally Posted by OldTimer View Post
      Wow! Thats exactly what I was thinking. It looks like you used the same hose size throughout? Did you? I emailed Lee Steering and the tech told me I must (and he emphasized must) use -10 AN on the -10 fittings and -6 on the pressure side. Its a little hard to tell in the picture, maybe they're all -10, but can you tell me approximate hose lengths, and all the fittings you used? I might use a different tank, but I was wondering about running the hoses exactly the way you did.

I haven't made an AN hose in a few years, and then it was for a billet catch can on my SVT Lightning. I'll have to watch a YT video or two to refresh my fading old brain. Just looking harder at those great pix... it looks like you ran wiring for the alternator from the firewall? Did you use a MAD setup?
      Used -10AN for the return from the bottom of the reservoir to the pump. -6AN on everything else

As someone wrestling with a pump with a integral tank ( it hits the bracket if I move it too much ) I plan on going remote reservoir on every thing I build from here on out.
      Tracey

Being a retired designer has some benefits LOL... I have the tools to diagram stuff and modify it as I learn that the previous version wasn't as good as I thought. This drawing illustrates what my current thinking is (subject to change).

Name:  PS Layout-03.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  204.9 KB

I'm pretty much committed to using black PTFE PS hose probably Earl's, and Earl's black steel fittings on the high-pressure side. And I think Earl's black anodized aluminum fittings can be used on the two other hoses because they're low pressure. I'm also going to stop at my local NAPA store where I know they make PS hoses and see if they have -AN fittings. The real PITA is having to buy fixed lengths of Earl's hose when I could get by with a lot less. That -10AN hose? From my measurements 24" would be plenty, but I think the minimum is 6 feet at around eight bucks plus a foot.

I've been cautioned about mismatching hose and ends when going -AN and I've also been told that I can use Aluminum fittings for the low pressure return line and the low pressure (?) reservoir fee to the pump. Now when I go to Holley and specific Earl's for the High Pressure, that's easy enough. But if I want to use a matching black elbow on the return from the steering box to the reservoir, what hose is used since they only list high pressure (expensive) stuff, the same as I'd order for the HP line. I'd also like to keep things looking alike so if its Earl's its a black (or blue) nylon woven cover for the HP lines. Holley has Black Mr Gasket fittings for the low pressure side, but they don't spec a corresponding -6AN or -10AN hose rated for power steering fluid. And once you get into SS braid, I've seen differences in the look there from different sources.

Anyone want to chime in on what -AN hose is safe for the low pressure side and that has black anodized fittings that will work?

EDIT: Spoke to Fragola Tech Support today (they are semi-local to me) and the guy confirmed that they have been supplying aluminum Power Steering Hose Ends for years with no issues. Their aluminum PS specific ends are spec'd for 3000 psi, and a type II PS pump is spec'd at 1200 psi conventional, reduced to 800 psi for rack & pinion. He said its very important to use the right PTFE -AN hose, and noted all aluminum hose ends are not the same. Theirs are all manufactured right here in CT about an hour away from me, but unfortunately they don't have a on-site store LOL. I may just bite the bullet and go with Fragola.
      Last edited by OldTimer; 08-31-2020 at 02:40 PM. Reason: Added more info on fittings

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com