Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

3 point belts and TMI reclining seats - another solution?

I read a lot of posts about how to mount 3 point belts in my 1967 Camaro, and purchased a set from Billy Morris (great guy) for front and rear. Rear install couldn't have been easier.

Now the fronts... I have TMI seats that recline and there is obvious clearance issues between the reel, door, and the reclining mechanism. One option is to use Billy's TMI seat reel relocation bracket. It works, but I don't like having the bracket above the carpet. I could buy new carpet to put the bracket under the carpet, as it needs to be a bigger piece to cover the bracket. Still might look a bit off, but will be better.

Another option is switching the driver and passenger seat. I don't have a center console, and by my measurements there seems to be enough room to fit a hand on the lever between seat and tunnel. Given the number of times I actually recline the seat, it's really not a concern if it's a tight fit, as long as it's doable.

Has anyone tried this before, and/or know of why switching the driver and passenger TMI seat (but keeping the sliders the same) wouldn't work before I start into it? Would it be better (easier) to switch just the upper seat sections?

I promised my wife I'd make the car as safe as I can, but I prefer clean, looks like GM could have done it, type solutions.

Thank you,
      Joe

Call MCC (Morris Classic Concepts) and buy the extension brackets he made for this issue. There is a 6 and 9” version (relocates the reel back). A local buddy switched his tmi seats but complains about the recline lever location.
      Chris
      1968 Chevy Camaro SS
      LS3/T56 DSE suspension

Quote Originally Posted by 130fe View Post
      Call MCC (Morris Classic Concepts) and buy the extension brackets he made for this issue. There is a 6 and 9” version (relocates the reel back). A local buddy switched his tmi seats but complains about the recline lever location.
      i have the extension bracket, but I just don’t like how it looks when I use my TMI seats, which is why I’m considering swapping driver/passenger seats.

Oh ok, like I said my buddy with TMI pro seats switched his and it drives fine.
      Chris
      1968 Chevy Camaro SS
      LS3/T56 DSE suspension

31shifter,

Some people put the bracket under the carpet, cut 2 slits for the mounting ears.

Thx Billy

^ worked perfect, took all of 10 minutes to switch seats around, plenty of room to grab recline lever.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com