Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

1972 C10 Pro-touring - Using 3D printing and more

Hey all,

Kicking off a thread over here on this 1972 C10 project. Right now it's intended to be the long-term shop truck, and a mechanism to do some R&D and prototyping on using our 3D printer. Some parts we'll simply prototype in a cheap plastic, with the intent for the final form to be in another material, like aluminum. For other items we may end up with functional parts, printed in something like PP, or Nylon, Nylon-Carbon, or in some cases ABS. I bought this truck a little over a year ago, and at the time I was wrapping up an El Camino project that was the focus. I did, however, spend some time improving the safety of the truck as the brakes were in a bad state and frankly made it scary to drive.

Last project we did for a good friend:

Here is the truck day 1:

Since day 1 we've done:

• Upgraded to a Baer T4 brake system with hydroboost from the stock front disc and drum rear
      • Upgraded the rear axles. Had to turn them to fit the rear discs
      • New TMI bucket seats to increase legroom, and 3-point seatbelts
      • Installed HID Dapper headlights with integrated turn signals
      • ridetech front coil-over suspension (modified slightly to accommodate the 20x11 front wheels
      • Forgeline 20x11 front, 20x12 rear with 315 tires on all 4 corners
      • Cleaned and lined the bed

Here is how it sits now:

Our first 3D functional print was actually for the El Camino project. After installing the Vintage Air AC we wanted a better way to organize the hoses aside from zip ties. We mocked up a simple hose separator, printed a cheap test fit piece in PLA, then ABS, and then swapped over to PAHT-CF15 (Nylon with carbon fibers). We then inset brass inserts into the plastic. I've been testing the ABS under the hood of the truck for a few weeks to see how it does in the heat, and so far so good. That said, PAHT-CF15 can operate up to 300*f, so no worries with that material. But if ABS is tough enough for the location it's a lot less expensive. Here is a photo of the PAHT-CF15 part.

Upcoming print plans for the truck include a custom air intake we're designing for the future LT1 upgrade we have planned:

Here is a concept design. This will be modified after we have the filter in-house to measure. We plan to use a 2019/2020 ZL1 filter, as it's somewhat compact, but also will support power needs for most people:

That's all for now. We're excited for future projects and how we can apply 3D printing and some light CNC to make functional improvements to our 72 C10 truck.

Cheers all!

Dylan

Country Flag: United States
      Very cool! I keep thinking about making an enclosure for my printer so I can make functional ABS parts for my own. Definitely looking forward to seeing how this goes!
      '95 F-150 track ready street beast
      Want more projects/photos? Check my Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Sbeck09 View Post
      Very cool! I keep thinking about making an enclosure for my printer so I can make functional ABS parts for my own. Definitely looking forward to seeing how this goes!
      ABS has honestly been the most challenging so far. Even enclosed I was getting some warping. Nylon has been much easier, but definitely more expensive.

We printed the intake concept top at 30% size to see how overhangs looked without supports. Found 1-2 areas where I need to add supports, but otherwise should scale up well. Still need to modify it to fit the filter once it arrives, then add some detail work to make it look less plain.

Okay I'm spending too much time on the concept before the filter is even here, but it's too much fun. Did some texturing and a quick render. Can't wait for the air filter to arrive so I can actually build this thing:

Starting installing my Altman latches that I purchased about a year ago. Got the driver side done today. Was pretty straight forward and they work well. My only complaint is that the button and handle to open feel a little stiff. The door closes pretty easily, but the "pop" to open it feels harder than it should be.

Installation was fairly smooth. At first I started with a 3" cutter, but that was taking too long so I tried my 4.5". While that cuts fast, the many of the areas are too small for the blade. So I decided to stop being an idiot and I just got out the plasma cutter and finished it. I'll do the passenger side with the plasma from the get go as that will go way faster.

All the bolts go in pretty easy, however one is a little tricky, but only because I didn't realize you're supposed to unbolt the latch mechanism before installing the plate. They come preinstalled in the package, and the instructions don't allude to separating them until after you've put the plate in.

All in all I'm happy with it. Might try a little more adjustment to get the opening a bit easier, but it's not terrible as is. I think the striker needs to come out further honestly, but I'm as far out as I can get it currrently.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com