Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

1967 Mustang Pro Touring Build (My19sexy7)

Hello Everyone,

I think its about time I got this post going. With the current situation I finally have time to sit down and do a write up on my "Pro-touring" build.
      To start off allow me to introduce myself, my name is Joel and i'm relatively new to this page. I'm a Mechanical Engineer working in the Aerospace industry but I have a passion for classic cars and racing.
      I can remember the very first time I saw a pro-touring car racing through a sea of cones at a Good Guys even in Del Mar which naturally became my inspiration to build one of my own.

I know that everyone enjoys posts with pictures, so ill make sure there is plenty for you guys to see

When i first got my car it was a complete rust pile like many projects naturally start
      The car did seem to have been in a very light accident because the right section of the front bumper had some damage. Other than the bumper itself however and the bumper supports there wasnt any structural damage to the frame thankfully. The car came with a 302 and a C4 automatic transmission.

Neither of them worked from the get go, however I did manage to miraculously get the engine going with a new distributor, ignition wires and carburetor. That would have to do in the mean time.

Name:  IMG_20130825_154828.jpg
Views: 480
Size:  264.5 KBName:  IMG_1532.jpg
Views: 480
Size:  221.3 KBName:  IMG_1544.jpg
Views: 459
Size:  221.4 KBName:  IMG_1564.jpg
Views: 466
Size:  202.3 KB
      Name:  IMG_1972.jpg
Views: 471
Size:  287.1 KBName:  IMG_1555.jpg
Views: 474
Size:  238.5 KB

First order of business after seeing that the engine would run and that there was nothing wrong with it internally other than normal wear as to bring it out and start the restoration process of the engine bay itself and the suspension. I cant even begin to sum up the number of hours that I spent under the car on my back sanding the entire underside and painting to get rid of all the crud.

As this was going to be a car that i planned to take to the track once in a while i know that one of the first things that needed to go where the drum brakes. I went ahead an purchased an original style disk brake kit for it from SSBC which has worked great. Keep in mind that budget was always in mind since i was still going to school from Engineering at the time so although i would have liked to go for a Wilwood setup i had to settle for this. After getting to know the brakes for a few months they are definitely better than the drums but i feel like i need the additional stopping power for the performance that i want to get out of the car.

Name:  IMG_1634.jpg
Views: 448
Size:  147.4 KBName:  IMG_1660.jpg
Views: 456
Size:  212.2 KBName:  IMG_1670.jpg
Views: 449
Size:  196.7 KBName:  IMG_1674.jpg
Views: 444
Size:  179.4 KB

At this point the engine just got some light maintenance and i threw on some paint because why not lol

Name:  IMG_1975.jpg
Views: 454
Size:  198.5 KBName:  IMG_1974.jpg
Views: 459
Size:  196.3 KB

Here is a sneak peek of what the car looks right now, but more on that later lol

Name:  HXEK9928.jpg
Views: 450
Size:  209.1 KB

Looks like you're doing this car right for your budget and intent, well done!
      Cars are meant to be driven.

John B

Thank you, at the time at the time I was still going to school so budget was definitely an issue.

My plans were bigger than my savings to say the least.

Since then I have however upgraded then suspension to a full coilover setup. I’ll try to add some more pictures of that this afternoon

Name:  IMG_1622.jpg
Views: 333
Size:  161.9 KB

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com