Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Recommended heat sleeve for brake lines???

The two hard lines coming down from my master cylinder get pretty close to the header. I was thinking of putting some sort of heat sleeve over them. I will be removing the lines so slipping it over the ends is no big deal. Black would definitely look better than some of the aluminized silver wraps bit the silver probably reflects heat better. Thoughts or experience??? Thanks in advance

Country Flag: United States
      Take a look at some of the heat shields that are on Summit Racing. Most are reflective silver but there are some others. They do have ones that are closed up with velcro strips that make it handy to install over existing lines without having to remove the line.
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Given sufficient initial acceleration, even pigs can fly!

If you are removing to install the sleeve why can’t you remove and Bend the lines away from the header?

I've already got them bent as far away as possible. The lines go between the header and frame rail.

I think I'd put a shield between the lines and the headers that doesn't envelop the brake lines. The braking system generates quite a bit of heat itself, and the last thing you want to do is keep that heat in the fluid. Heat from the brakes will rise through the fluid, and the metal lines help dissipate it as it goes up.

I don't have any experience with this stuff, but it looks like it might work to build a shield between the headers and the brake lines. Some of the stainless Inferno semi-rigid stuff attached to the headers on both sides might look pretty slick if done right too.

On my 1981 El Camino SS I have a set of Flow tech Shorty headers .I have a brake line running close to the headers .I used a combination of 3/8 fuel line and piece of Thermosleeve .Held on by hose clamps . No issues.

My Wilwood proportioning valve is inboard of my brake master due to my hydroboost and my inner fender. I have the spring wrap on all of my hard lines when I make them. In my mind, it works like a heat sink giving a much larger surface area to dissipate heat drawing heat off the steel line. I was afraid that if I wrapped the lines in heat shield, it would keep more heat in by not allowing it to escape.

http://www.TheFOAT.com/92GTA
      1969 Pontiac Firebird
      w/535ci IAII aluminum block, Dailey dry sump, Holley EFI (full road race build). Primer black w/black interior.
      1992 Pontiac Trans Am GTA w/SLP Performance Package. Dark Jade Grey Metallic, grey leather, T-Tops.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com