Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Threaded View

Out of the Burbs of Detroit to SoCal, then onto my ancestral homeland, the woods of Cascadia
      Country Flag: United States

Any suspension, no matter how poorly designed, can be made to work reasonably well...

... if you just stop it from moving. Colin Chapman

And mine is really poorly designed.

I have a mid-70’s European Ford with a true Mac- Fear- son strut (lateral track arm, located fore-aft by front sway bar) front suspension. I’ve had the car for 40 years- When it was new, I did exactly what everyone else was doing, snubbing down the suspension. Until all my front suspension compliance was in tire sidewall flex. Seriously, it handled great- well, it handled OK, but tire’s sucked and most of my friends didn’t know what they were doing. Neither did I.

That was then, now is now

I still like the car, but want it to handle and to ride. Did I mention the only front suspension movement was tire sidewall deformation? Have 2 options- SLA and trying to improve the MacStrut. Fishing for ideas on how top improve the mac strut so I don’t compress my spine w/ every Michigan pothole I hit, or someone tell me to toss the strut and start with some sort of SLA, along w/ recommendations. I’ve been toying with the idea of Mustang II, but am aware of at least some of it’s shortcomings due to short A-Arm length

Any takers? Anyone want to venture into the swamp with me?
      Greg Fast
      (yes, the last name is spelled correctly)

1970 Camaro RS Clone
      1984 el Camino
      1973 MGB vintage E/Prod race car
      (Soon to be an SCCA H/Prod limited prep)

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com