Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
      Out of the Burbs of Detroit to SoCal, then onto my ancestral homeland, the woods of Cascadia
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by Falcon64 View Post
      Greg....
      The Capri I'm referring to has been engine swapped, prepped and painted but not assembled yet.
      Sounds familiar- Mines on stands w/ no rear axle and the front hubs are being redrilled for 5 x 4.5

That limits much more detail that i can put in text......hard to compare different settings etc.
      BUT.....
      - Rob's ride height has been established with current model Mustang GT alloy wheels (Torque Thrust D ripoffs).
      - geometry has been put thru CAD package.
      - Rob will use poly bushings and donuts on the sway bar. I
      would put a rod end or clevis in place of the donut joint.
      - being a strut car owner you will be more than aware of the limited backspacing/sidewall issue. Need to use the smallest dia spring.
      - get rid of the rear bar.
      - subject to ride height.....move the lower arm inner point up as much as the subframe will take. Lower arm should be slightly downhill at the wheel. Rob has half-assed this aspect and says he will do it after assembly.
      - bump steer it before moving the rack (don't assume half inch up with arm equals half inch up for rack) that era of production was compromised by corporate constraints just like u said....carry-over Cortina parts.

Have u researched Cologne Capri or South Africa Perana geometry?
      I need to select a tire- think I've locked on 15 x 7 wheel, larger diameter looks weird in the small wheel opening, would also be a travel limiter
      I see Rob is using a 350 lb/in 2.5" diameter Eibach. Who made his coilover kit, or is it assembled from bits? Do you know the strut insert he's using?
      If I keep the strut deal, I plan to move the inboard pivot as high as I can, subject to the constraint of the frame stamping. I would plan to bump steer after the track arm is relocated

Have not researched Cologne or Perana variants. The Cologne (I assume you mean the RS2600 and RS3100) cars, as homologation specials, had a harder edge than I want this car to be.

Has Rob thought about a separate tension strut or a compression strut on his build? I am thinking if you isolate location control from motion control it may free up binding in the swaybar pass thru to the track arm and the track arm pivot bush

BTW....Calsonic recently closed down a plant here in Melbourne. I guess they were supplying Toyota who stopped production in Oz.
      Have u worked with Alan Robins, purchasing/tech guy from Air International? ..a long time friend.

Calsonic was purchased in 2017 by KKR, an investment firm. I think they want it to become something like a Valeo that supplies various types of automotive products. Last year KKR bought Magneti Marelli from FCA, and merged the two under the Marelli name (yeah, like who'se going to trust Italian electrics? When I friend said Alfa drivers preferred cars with Lucas gear to Magneti Marelli, it's saying something ) because of better worldwide name recognition.

Surprised if Calsonic was supplying Toyota- They seem to be married to Denso, an evil competitor to Calsonic

Mo' latter
      Greg Fast
      (yes, the last name is spelled correctly)

1970 Camaro RS Clone
      1984 el Camino
      1973 MGB vintage E/Prod race car
      (Soon to be an SCCA H/Prod limited prep)

Out of the Burbs of Detroit to SoCal, then onto my ancestral homeland, the woods of Cascadia
      Think this my be directed more toward Falcon64, but if any f you have any thoughts please chime in

Some European racers have used compression struts to isolate the track arm locate away from the anti-sway bar. The ASB then has the singe funtion of roll resistance, rather than both roll resistance AND fire/aft location of the trackarm.
      Greg Fast

1970 Camaro RS Clone
      1984 el Camino

Melbourne Australia, dual citizen tho with USA.
      Hey Greg......the Capri I'm referring to is an inheritance from the customer's father so rebuilding it to a cruiser has priority....repackaging the ARB was too extreme and minor benefits on the street. It's looking good in blue/white like the Zakspeed cars.

Once the ride height and wheel/tire package was established, the struts were cut down, Koni inserts installed and I machined new caps with metric threads ....42x1.0 I think.?
      Your Koni guy can find the correct insert easily cos there's not many to choose from!
      The strut tube was cut down behind the spring seat adjusting sleeve, that way the sleeve spans and reinforces the weld. Cutting a section out retains the original internal top thread. Of course you need a spacer UNDER the insert. The top camber plate is a generic aftermarket.
      BTW....my 64 Falcon in my avatar has Chevy SS front struts and rack and pinion steering......along with a mild 350...yes 350 SBC. The steering column brace, master cylinder and pedals went straight in uncut! I fabbed up new towers in the original Ford openings with the world's only perfect triangle strut brace....cos Ford distributor usually gets in the way. Still waiting for a custom ARB to be fabbed up. Registration as soon as covid allows.

https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthr...ghlight=Falcon

Magneti Marelli and Lucas have the same reputation down here....that's mental torture to go ahead and buy an Alfa.... THEN deal with the choice between MM and the Prince of Darkness.
      An early aluminum GTA would be worth it tho....with Bosch or Delco conversion

Yeah....I know Valeo. Gonna google the purchase right now. Of course ur right about Toyota/Denso.

Are u aware that Woodward was the first paved highway anywhere in the world??? I'm gonna google that too. Saw it on tv doco last week.

Jim.

Rob's customer car as it sits today....
      Attached Images Attached Images  

Beautiful shell restoration- looks fabulous in that blue w/ white accent....

I need to go back to the root problem- the suspension is in solid stack at my current ride height. Bottomed out, at my desired ride height.

I've been spending time on turbosport. I know I'm an idiot for doing so, but it's the only place I've see a description of the problem I'm having. They suggest an RX7 insert is 30mm shorter body and a 20mm shorter shaft, but the OD of the insert is too big for the Capri strut tube.

Trying to find someone in the US who can give advice on what insert fit-, or I may just need to get a torch and hammer and start breaking things.

Falcon- Any idea what strut inserts are used in OZ on tarmac Capri's?
      Greg Fast

1970 Camaro RS Clone
      1984 el Camino

deleted

Greg.....

Check out this page.......I think u need...
      #8610-1436 for single adjust,
      #8611-1257 for double adjust.

Double adjust has bump adjuster thru hole in bottom of strut housing. These are both 43.5 body diameter = smallest
      and 143mm stroke = shortest.

https://performanceshock.com/KONI_86_series_race.pdf

Then go to...
      https://performanceshock.com

Live chat with Bruce...he's a kiwi but don't let that dissuade you.... (tell him Jim Grant referred you.....I was their neighbor/machinist contractor at Sonoma)you MIGHT get 10% off for being a " neighbor"..... at least get free shipping

You are the only one who can set ride height and follow that up with strut length calculations. You should be able to measure your strut O.D. then deduct 2.5 or 3mm for I.D.

Because of the China virus I can't get to Rob's shop to measure and they are getting pissed at my phone calls cos it's their development work/intellectual property......I understand.
      Last edited by Falcon64; 10-04-2020 at 09:06 PM. Reason: Add link

Probably irrelevant but....Chev struts into 64 USA Falcon. You may not have room for the blue tube brace in the Capri...and why did I not radius the corners of those triangle end plates?? Don't know!

Well OK there, Falcon

First, Thanks for the information on strut inserts.

Next- Damn creative on what you're doing with the Falcon. The only rwd Chevy I can think of w/ struts was the Gen 3 Camaro- were thes from some home market (for OZ) Holden?
      Greg Fast

1970 Camaro RS Clone
      1984 el Camino

......sort of......you will remember the Pontiac G8 and Chevy SS from 2005......they were badge engineered Holden Commodores. Our v8 Commodore was always LS powered since mid nineties. Front calipers were the Oz made finned aluminum 2-pot as used on Corvettes since 1990 something.My Commodore struts from that era got rid of the squeaky Ford coil spring trunnion and incorporated the Corvette caliper. Because the Falcon and Commodore are similar size the inner lower pickup point was EXACTLY in the Ford location, and with a minor straighten, the strut rod went straight into the Ford front bushings! Has a new and stronger lower arm crossmember between chassis rails tho.
      You should consider those Corvette calipers for the Capri. Five panic stops in the Falcon and it comes back for more.

.....Falcon with Commodore lower arm....and vee belt going inside out around that Subaru tensioner

From elsewhere on ProTour....oz version doesn't have the logo

I know it's a kind of a rework but what about the BMW E46 front suspension? They're everywhere and you can literally go cut parts out of a couple of LKQ cars today.

Well, it's been a while, and things have not been static.

First, started the move in earnest. Moving from Michigan to Cascadia, just east of the summit of Stevens Pass along US Highway 2 in Washington state. Returning to my ancestral homelands, the woods

Gratuitous picture of the retirement villa.

Name:  _1DVwJnA.jpeg
Views: 184
Size:  296.1 KB.

Two weeks ago, woke the Capri from it's slumber and rolled it onto the apron in front of the barn. Loaded it in brother's car hauler in the background, then set off for Washington

Name:  IMG_20201025_150320032.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  37.9 KB

Simultaneously, ordered some stuff. Decided to stick with the Capri strut at this point since the relationship between the spindle and strut housing is a fit. Using a different strut might have meant a track change or the top of the strut being more or less in the wrong spot.

Ground Control seems to focus on strut type cars, ordered strut inserts (double adjustable Koni), camber plates, and coilover conversion from them.

Name:  IMG_20201112_150856917.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  271.0 KB

Bare feet were sourced from my mother.

I'm in SoCal right now, I seem to remember having a set of Capri struts here from when I lived here fifteen years ago- will need to dig around see if I can find them and may start work while I'm here.

will now shift this to the project section.
      Greg Fast

1970 Camaro RS Clone
      1984 el Camino

A minor followup to previous posts-

The general design characteristics of the European Ford strut front end were used for 40 years across various platforms. Dimensions varied but conceptually the design was th same.

With that in mind, on a whim I called Rapido Group, run by the same guy that made my sway bars...forty years ago. Figured that guy would be retired by now . Anyway, Rapido specailizes in the Ford/Merkur Sierra (XR4ti) and Scorpio. I called and asked him if he has stock track arms he could measure. Called me back a little later- The XR4ti arm was essentially the same as the Capri arm @ 9.25-9.5", but the Scorpio arm was a full 12" long. I ordereda set and the taper on the ball joint appears similiar (expected), but I will verify. In any event, it looks like I can move the pivot inboard 2.5" and get reduced negative camber reductionin compression.

Will need to shorten the rack to reduce bumpsteer, and the rack housing. Housing should be easy- it's a steel tube pressed into aluminum end fittings. Just cut and sleeve it . The rack I think I will need some help on. Any suggestions?

If any readers see a flaw in my thinking, please point it out. I'd prefer to hear it now as opposed to after I start sawing components up.

Thanks

greg
      Greg Fast

1970 Camaro RS Clone
      1984 el Camino

HI Greg......congratulations on the retirement and the move across the country.
      From the photo we can see why you made the decision......dang that's a picture postcard right there.

Is there too much oxygen in the air tho?? Or did you leave out something in between "moving the inner pickup point inboard" and "shorten the rack" ?

Moving the inner lower point inboard will not move the steering arm inboard. The bottom of the strut stays where it was built, the top tilts inboard a small amount on the camber plate but not significant enough to justify cutting the rack.
      I you have to.....wouldn't you source a narrower (Cortina) rack.
      If you cut the Capri rack, you'd have to cut the end furthest from the pinion, drill and tap the new end (hmmmm.....good luck with that) and relocate the rack half the cut-distance toward the passenger side and rework or throw away the factory rack mounts anyway.

Just source shorter rack and build new mounts to suit.

Jim in Melbourne
      Last edited by Falcon64; 03-01-2021 at 01:50 AM. Reason: Signature

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com