Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Custom 3D printing and design services?

I have an interior project I need to tackle and I need to enlist a 3D printing and design service for the task.

Are there any automotive industry focused companies that do this anyone can post and refer me to? It won't be large and I would like it printed in nylon for durability. It will be finish wrapped in suede.

Thanks!
      http://www.TheFOAT.com/92GTA
      1969 Pontiac Firebird
      w/535ci IAII aluminum block, Dailey dry sump, Holley EFI (full road race build). Primer black w/black interior.
      1992 Pontiac Trans Am GTA w/SLP Performance Package. Dark Jade Grey Metallic, grey leather, T-Tops.

I've used 3dhubs.com in the past, you can upload designs and then get competitive quoting and if lucky you can find someone close to you. you can choose from a huge range of materials.

That's the thing, I need someone to design it too. I don't know how to use that type of software. I can provide basic dimensions, but need a good designer to come up with something that looks good.
      1969 Pontiac Firebird
      w/535ci IAII aluminum block, Dailey dry sump, Holley EFI (full road race build). Primer black w/black interior.
      1992 Pontiac Trans Am GTA w/SLP Performance Package. Dark Jade Grey Metallic, grey leather, T-Tops.

Oh I see, I missed that part. how technical/ complicated is the part?

No terribly. I need an overhead console that will go behind my review mirror mount and between my sun visors to house a couple of rocker switches and a momentary button. Needs to look like it belongs there, like it could have been factory. I want to keep it as small as possible so nothing extra like lights or anything. The tricky part is the depth behind the switches and button for wiring and getting the right angle down towards the cabin.
      1969 Pontiac Firebird

I cant help of it HAS to be 3d printed, but an interior shop could probably make something like that out of fiberglass/wood pretty cheap, and they could cover it when they were done. If you're adventurous, you could make a wood form, cast a mold and make it out of carbon fiber. Just a few ideas. You might look in the local craiglist for someone who can use autocad, then use a third party for the printing like Shapeways. They will probably want hourly pay usually. It can get pricey.

Thanks for the suggestions. What I have in mind is pretty small and low profile which is why I didn't think traditional means.

I'll look into some other options.
      1969 Pontiac Firebird

I know you said no lights, but if you want it to look like the factory put it in it almost has to have lights. An alternative to printing, this Camry overhead console is small. You could replace the sunglasses holder with a flat panel for your switches, and there would be room underneath for the back side of the switches and the wiring.

Fleabay has a large number of overheads of varying sizes, and one of them might suit your project. Just something to think about.

https://www.kuhnhausenmetalconcepts.com/

Get in touch with Kyle there. He is always doing 3D printed automotive parts for his and other's projects. The upside being that as a SEMA Battle of the Builders contender and former Young Gun competitor, he knows quality at the highest level. I'm positive he could make it happen.

He is a solo, grassroots guy that is definitely worth supporting if you are looking for someone to get this done.
      '95 F-150 track ready street beast
      Want more projects/photos? Check my Instagram

Awesome, thanks!
      1969 Pontiac Firebird

Quote Originally Posted by anguilla1980 View Post
      I have an interior project I need to tackle and I need to enlist a 3D printing and design service for the task.

Are there any automotive industry focused companies that do this anyone can post and refer me to? It won't be large and I would like it printed in nylon for durability. It will be finish wrapped in suede.

Thanks!
      Do you have any models or pictures of what you want to do?
      Electrical/Mechanical Engineer
      1968 Camaro RS - Flat Black

Just the measurements of where it will go and the measurements of the button pad. That's why I need a designer. I reached out to one guy that said he maybe would, but then he went dark on me.
      1969 Pontiac Firebird

Just the measurements of where it will go and the measurements of the button pad. That's why I need a designer. I reached out to one guy that said he maybe would, but then he went dark on me.
      How complex would you say the part is? If its is pretty simple I'll design it for you for free then you can send the model to any 3D print house.

If it is complex, send it to McShaps in New Jersey. They can 3D scan (if you are duplicating something), model, and print the part. They have some really nice printers. Talk to Tyler McCormack there, he'll hook you up.

Ryan

It's fairly simply just being a housing for a keypad, but it needs to fit the aesthetic of the stock interior and take into account attachment points to a bracket that would be welded to the inside of the roof behind the headliner.

Thanks for the lead!!
      1969 Pontiac Firebird

It's fairly simply just being a housing for a keypad, but it needs to fit the aesthetic of the stock interior and take into account attachment points to a bracket that would be welded to the inside of the roof behind the headliner.

Thanks for the lead!!
      PM me and I'll see what I can do. If you have any drawings you've done of kinda what you're looking for that would help alot.

Ok, thanks. Will do.
      1969 Pontiac Firebird

Get some foam board and build it out of that. There are a lot of unknowns for anyone to do a good design that fits the background, bolts to your brackets and still look like it belongs there. To do a quality job, one would need to know what all of these dimensions are and also what YOU think looks good. Building a prototype is your best solution and then that can be used as a buck or mold to make the real piece.
      Designing it in 3D is the easy part. Designing it so it fits and looks good is the hard part...
      Mark
      Mark:
      "Bad Ast" Astro Van. Just because I did it... Doesn't mean it's possible...
      This my Bad Ast thread...
      https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...roject-Faze-II
      This is my Fotki album...
      http://astroracer.fotki.com/

Quote Originally Posted by astroracer View Post
      Get some foam board and build it out of that. There are a lot of unknowns for anyone to do a good design that fits the background, bolts to your brackets and still look like it belongs there. To do a quality job, one would need to know what all of these dimensions are and also what YOU think looks good. Building a prototype is your best solution and then that can be used as a buck or mold to make the real piece.
      Designing it in 3D is the easy part. Designing it so it fits and looks good is the hard part...
      Mark
      I think that used to be the case. 3D printing is so accessible these days that you can usually iterate more quickly by getting a good preliminary design done in CAD, printing the part, then rolling in any changes into the next print. Usually I will perform final touches and any massaging with body filler and paint. Tends to work really well.

That being said, the old fashioned method certainly works too. Before 3D printing got big that's what I did.

Ryan

The OP (anguilla1980) and I have been working together on a bezel/pod for his switch panel. Just finished up the first prototype. Working on the next iteration now.

Attached some pictures of prototype 1. The material is PETG, FDM print method. Final part will be Nylon via SLS or Multi Jet Fusion (HP). An example (the white gauge pod part) of a SLS printed Nylon is attached as well. Notice the lack of distinct layers in the part. Typically supports are not needed from SLS, which greatly reduces material cost.
      Attached Images Attached Images                    

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeper68 View Post
      I think that used to be the case. 3D printing is so accessible these days that you can usually iterate more quickly by getting a good preliminary design done in CAD, printing the part, then rolling in any changes into the next print. Usually I will perform final touches and any massaging with body filler and paint. Tends to work really well.

That being said, the old fashioned method certainly works too. Before 3D printing got big that's what I did.

Ryan
      I've printed a few things but never designed anything yet. I'm stuck using CAD - cardboard aided design.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com