Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Vintage Air and Bowler Tunnel + Manny More on a 70 Chevelle

Ok guys, here it goes...
      First things first...
      As some of you may know, I am building a 70 Chevelle G-Machine/Weekend Racer.
      I have noting but a clean Body almost ready for paint, a Roadster Shop Chassis on the way, a Bowler T56 Magnum also on pre-order and a Crate LSA.
      I have no Dash carrier, no Dash Assembly and no Dash Panel yet.
      I want AC on the car and I am leaning towards the Vintage Air IV Sure Fit.

First Question-What route to go...a) Buy everything as if I were building a Factory AC Chevelle and then buy the Vintage Air Sure Fit for a Factory AC Chevelle or b) Buy everything as if I were building a NON Factory AC and buy the NON AC kit from Vintage Air? I did call Vintage Air and they recommend the NON AC Kit but they could not really tell me why.
      Note...I don't really care about original looks on the inside...I will be buying a Dash Panel from Classic Dash that includes the Gauges (Autocross Yellow with the Brushed Aluminum)...Yes, I will MURDER the SS look...hehe.

Second Question - Would I have any fitment issues with the Kit and the Bowler Transmission Tunnel? Vintage Air did not know the answer.

Third Question - I am buying the front Drive for the LSA from Lance at LSX Concepts, they tell me that their drive has the Vintage Air compressor included (I believe it is a Sanden). Is that correct? Or would I be better to delete the compressor option from the drive and then order the complete Kit from Vintage Air?

Thanks Guys...really lost here

Country Flag: United States
      I'd opt for the non AC kit, will be much cleaner and less stuff as it's self contained. Shouldn't have any issues with the trans tunnel. The Sanden compressors will be the same thing most likely but I'd go with the one from the accessories guy as you already know that it works with his drive. Not sure if Vintage Air will sell the kit minus the compressor but if not I wouldn't sweat it as it'll sell easily.

Quote Originally Posted by showdog75 View Post
      I'd opt for the non AC kit, will be much cleaner and less stuff as it's self contained. Shouldn't have any issues with the trans tunnel. The Sanden compressors will be the same thing most likely but I'd go with the one from the accessories guy as you already know that it works with his drive. Not sure if Vintage Air will sell the kit minus the compressor but if not I wouldn't sweat it as it'll sell easily.
      Will Do!
      Thanks Showdog!

Vintage Air will delete a compressor from their kit. I’d make sure the one from your drive company is an authentic Sanden unit and not a Chinese copy. VA only uses Sanden compressors.
      Tim

67 Camaro RS

64 Nova SS

I did the same thing you’re considering on my 68 Camaro. VA sells their components in “kits” which will save you money and you won’t end up with parts that you may not use or duplicate parts. My car was a non-AC car so I bought the evap kit, condenser kit, EZ Clip hose kit, Trinary switch, etc. since I went with the Holley Mid-Mount acc drive, I didn’t buy theVA compressor. Everything worked together perfectly. I can also tell you that although the hose kit is expensive, it’ll save you money overall and comes with all the fittings and hose you’ll typically need (even if you have to buy a few extras for custom routing).
      I also used the Bowler trans tunnel piece which is nice. Probably not an issue in a Chevelle, but might be worth mocking up the evaporator and trans tunnel just make sure you don’t raise the tunnel too high and interfere with the evap...unless you’re planning on raising the mounting point of the evaporator...I know VA will try to reuse some of the factory firewall holes (or at least use the for reference) for mounting the kit. One area to be aware of is where the tunnel meets the firewall. I made a custom piece to give me more clearance for future removal of the bell housing bolts if needed. By doing so, I came close to creating a clearance issue with the driver side of the evaporator...so it’s not just the tunnel height that matters. Just a heads up. All in all, VA knows what they’re doing and won’t lead you astray...Good luck!
      Shane
      #theanchorholds
      68 Camaro build thread:
      http://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php?t=56387

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy Kid View Post
      Vintage Air will delete a compressor from their kit. I’d make sure the one from your drive company is an authentic Sanden unit and not a Chinese copy. VA only uses Sanden compressors.
      Thanks Man!
      The LSX Concepts Drive gives you a few options for the compressor and one of the options is the same Sanden compressor VA uses.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gmachine1911 View Post
      I did the same thing you’re considering on my 68 Camaro. VA sells their components in “kits” which will save you money and you won’t end up with parts that you may not use or duplicate parts. My car was a non-AC car so I bought the evap kit, condenser kit, EZ Clip hose kit, Trinary switch, etc. since I went with the Holley Mid-Mount acc drive, I didn’t buy theVA compressor. Everything worked together perfectly. I can also tell you that although the hose kit is expensive, it’ll save you money overall and comes with all the fittings and hose you’ll typically need (even if you have to buy a few extras for custom routing).
      I also used the Bowler trans tunnel piece which is nice. Probably not an issue in a Chevelle, but might be worth mocking up the evaporator and trans tunnel just make sure you don’t raise the tunnel too high and interfere with the evap...unless you’re planning on raising the mounting point of the evaporator...I know VA will try to reuse some of the factory firewall holes (or at least use the for reference) for mounting the kit. One area to be aware of is where the tunnel meets the firewall. I made a custom piece to give me more clearance for future removal of the bell housing bolts if needed. By doing so, I came close to creating a clearance issue with the driver side of the evaporator...so it’s not just the tunnel height that matters. Just a heads up. All in all, VA knows what they’re doing and won’t lead you astray...Good luck!
      Thanks Man!
      That is a very good point, I did not think of the driver's side until now.
      I will probably have to order the kit beforehand then to mock up everything before the final weld.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com