Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Identifying Cup style donor car, early 2000's maybe?

I have a line on a very affordable Cup style roller locally. In pictures I was convinced it was potentially a full cup chassis. (I worked in Nascar in the early 90's) However, I was thrown when in person realized the entire body was fiberglass. I am almost positive it is an early 2000 Ford Taurus, looks like it would fit the cup template form those years.... Full roof flaps, limited front air openings - Guessing large track car. Non-cambered rearend.... I couldn't find ID plate for chassis manufacturer in the dark warehouse it was in and didn't bring reading glasses and really good light with me unfortunately. Hoping to get back for another look but the price is pretty low and don't want to miss an opportunity either....

Some smaller race series maybe? Has the standard issue truck arm, SCP spindle front steer steering box/drag link setup that you see in cup cars.... If it didn't have a fiberglass body in that vintage I would swear it had to be a 2000ish Nascar Cup car... Wheelbase appears to be roughly 108.... Owner supplied measurement and don't know if I can trust it -

Country Flag: United States
      ARCA, maybe?

Country Flag: Canada
      Definitely not a cup car or xfinity series if the body is fiberglass
      Spinnin'my tires in life's fast lane

Ryan Austin
      On twitter @raustinss
      On Instagram austinss70

Maybe just a Late Model or SouthWest Tour?
      http://www.TheFOAT.com/92GTA
      1969 Pontiac Firebird
      w/535ci IAII aluminum block, Dailey dry sump, Holley EFI (full road race build). Primer black w/black interior.
      1992 Pontiac Trans Am GTA w/SLP Performance Package. Dark Jade Grey Metallic, grey leather, T-Tops.

Quote Originally Posted by BMR Sales View Post
      ARCA, maybe?
      After further thought it would not be an Arca car

I bet it is a Nascar or Busch/Infinity Chassis with a Racing School Body. For a Short time when I was at Skip Barber Racing we had a Division that was affiliated with Richard Petty that was basically Hot Laps or rides in a Cup Car. The Bodies were mostly Fiberglass/Composite.

Last edited by BMR Sales; 07-28-2020 at 06:55 AM.

Is that steering wheel attached to the steering sector? If so has that been set up for a driving simulator? We have one at Dominion Raceway that has been converted to a sim and the steering is on the hood like that so you can move it around. Ours is also a fiberglass body and was a former late model racer.
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Given sufficient initial acceleration, even pigs can fly!

Yep. The guy was in the middle of converting it into a simulator and never finished this one. He had another he finished that he used at the state fair circuit around the midwest. The guy that has it now has no idea what the car was before conversion.

Fortunately the damage they did is easily reversed.

My time in Charlotte was during the early 90's, so wasn't really familiar enough with the classes to determine what this is, but the suspension setup is exactly what we were running in Cup, Busch, Arca, and Sportsman class back then.

What I found really odd is it has roof flaps. I wasn't familiar with many lower classes that would run on big tracks that require those. Always a chance they were added as a cosmetic thing.

Here are some more pics:Name:  roofflap.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  118.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by BMR Sales View Post
      After further thought it would not be an Arca car

I bet it is a Nascar or Busch/Infinity Chassis with a Racing School Body. For a Short time when I was at Skip Barber Racing we had a Division that was affiliated with Richard Petty that was basically Hot Laps or rides in a Cup Car. The Bodies were mostly Fiberglass/Composite.

That is funny you mention that. I worked for Buck and Buddy Baker in the 90's including at the race school! They were a little more hard core than the "petty experience" though. Many of the school cars were raced as well, and competitively.

The door was cut in for the simulator conversion I am told. Did a bunch of looking at different classes that run a fiberglass body, the "Taurus" though would date back to the very start of the ABC body spec......But the rear section sure looks similar. Did any of the late model series run roof flaps? My part of the country, late models don't typically run what is a carbon copy of a CUP chassis either...... http://www.fivestarbodies.com/ABC/

:Name:  sidecar.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  135.2 KB

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com