Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by Vogelsong View Post
      I’ve considered this very thing.

My problem is I need to be able to see stuff already done to feel comfortable with it, and I don’t see a lot of mustangs with benz underpinnings. ��*♂️ LoL
      In that case, I stumbled across this one this very night. Looks like a solution for you. It may be a solution for me depending on what the shop I'm talking to this time says, or rather doesn't, which seems to be par for the course for me. At least for this one I've got a guy not 5 miles from me that can do the framework for this one. It's a cradle that allows you to bolt a C5/C6 Corvette suspension into any car, and the price is pretty reasonable. My preference would still be an offset 3 link, but if that isn't meant to be, perhaps this is.

https://rick486.wixsite.com/dobbertinperformance

Quote Originally Posted by Vimes View Post
      In that case, I stumbled across this one this very night. Looks like a solution for you. It may be a solution for me depending on what the shop I'm talking to this time says, or rather doesn't, which seems to be par for the course for me. At least for this one I've got a guy not 5 miles from me that can do the framework for this one. It's a cradle that allows you to bolt a C5/C6 Corvette suspension into any car, and the price is pretty reasonable. My preference would still be an offset 3 link, but if that isn't meant to be, perhaps this is.

https://rick486.wixsite.com/dobbertinperformance
      I’m using his front and rear adapters on my 56 Cameo pickup.

Issues and cost increase if you can’t live with the stock C5/C6 track width. I was able to squeeze it in.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

What sort of issues?

Quote Originally Posted by Vimes View Post
      What sort of issues?
      I've got the rear adapter for my 69 Camaro, which has been narrowed 7". If you narrow it you need custom length half shafts (~1500 from Driveshaft Shop) and sway bar setup (easy to get from a place like Speedway Engineering). Clearance for the control arms could be a potential issue depending on your ride height and how narrowed it is.

I think the OEM mount for the diff gets wiped out if you narrow them more than 6", so you'd need to make brackets for that as well.

Cool, nothing unexpected then. Issues to me would have been not as strong, can't handle as much power, doesn't handle as well, ect.

My preference would still be an offset 3 link, but if that isn't meant to be, perhaps this is.
      @ Vimes - What is your application?
      Mark Magers

Founder and Principal, Lateral Dynamics LLC
      [email protected]
      lateral-dynamics.com

One tenth of a second on the race track is often the difference between first place, and fourth.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark@lateral-dynamics View Post
      @ Vimes - What is your application?
      2003 Dodge Dakota ext cab 2WD, and if I can ever get the suspension off the ground it will have a 427, possibly turbocharged, 8 speed auto. Building it to handle. But, I don't really want to be a post pirate, so if you want to discuss further PM me. My posts on this thread have mainly been aimed at getting the OP a path to an IRS system.

Having driven a lot of cars on an autocross course and assuming equal levels of setup and tuning an IRS > 3 link > 4 link.

Especially if you want to also drive the car on the street. IRS puts power down on corner exit better than the others. Not to mention street friendly camber and toe.

That said. If you aren’t a suspension guru I’d take a proven off the shelf 3 link design over a home brewed or cobbled together IRS.
      Please Subscribe to the AutoXandTrack YouTube Channel

Autocross and track blog about running autocross and track events with pro touring cars

Sean at Street or Track makes a well regarded 3 link setup with tunable spring and shock rates, that will save you weight as well. It’s very on my radar.

I don’t get the IRS thing in a classic car. It can and has been done but it’s a ton of work, $$, and weight and when it’s all said and done it’s probably nowhere near dialed in for your car and you still have a flexible old muscle car around the rest of it.

Some people like to use their car like an artist uses a canvas and that’s fine. But a sorted 3-link will be an excellent comfort and performance upgrade.

It’s too bad Mary Pozzi doesn’t come here anymore. She has been auto crossing her Art Morrison IRS for several years and doing well with it last I heard.

Maybe David Pozzi will give us an update. I’m not sure of the status of his 67 Camaro with IRS.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Quote Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
      It’s too bad Mary Pozzi doesn’t come here anymore. She has been auto crossing her Art Morrison IRS for several years and doing well with it last I heard.

Maybe David Pozzi will give us an update. I’m not sure of the status of his 67 Camaro with IRS.

Don
      I thought I saw someplace she would consider selling it. Maybe on to other hobbies.

I've been aganizing over what IRS to go with as well, and if I should do it with a full frame. I have a stock modified front subframe now with solid drop body mounts, welded in SFCs, and for now a leaf sprung rear end (built with all top-notch aftermarket components on the whole suspension that's well matched).

I worry the weight of a full frame plus the IRS will make it not any better than if I just swap in a 4-link (I need to keep my back seat). I've yet to see any full frame built specifically with weight in mind and the IRS options all seem on the heavy side.
      http://www.TheFOAT.com/92GTA
      1969 Pontiac Firebird
      w/535ci IAII aluminum block, Dailey dry sump, Holley EFI (full road race build). Primer black w/black interior.
      1992 Pontiac Trans Am GTA w/SLP Performance Package. Dark Jade Grey Metallic, grey leather, T-Tops.

The lightest live axle will be a truck arm rear suspension provided you build it with composite arms. 12.5 lbs. each.
      Even a three link weighs more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=San17XlQCGM

Quote Originally Posted by Pragmatist View Post
      The lightest live axle will be a truck arm rear suspension provided you build it with composite arms. 12.5 lbs. each.
      Even a three link weighs more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=San17XlQCGM
      I like the outside of the box thinking! Do you have any issues with axle wrap using the leaf springs as control arms? Typically you'd want the truck arms to be as rigid as possible to keep pinion angle under control during acceleration/braking.
      - Ryan

light weight

The truck arms are for a 3/4 ton truck so stiffness is not a problem. I've been driving it this way for over four years and I still leave two long black markers from the 315s on the rear at least once a week.

Quote Originally Posted by Pragmatist View Post
      The truck arms are for a 3/4 ton truck so stiffness is not a problem. I've been driving it this way for over four years and I still leave two long black markers from the 315s on the rear at least once a week.
      Glad to hear it's working well! The leaf springs are a convenient shape for floor pan clearance, and like you say, nice and light.
      - Ryan

The Stagnaros in their old early Shelby with leaf spring solid axle kicked butt at the SCCA national level in CP for a lot of years and freaking hauled a$$ when I saw them.
      1978 Black Trans Am 455 Edelbrock heads [email protected] through mufflers on pump gas
      1981 Trans Am 400 stock type motor
      79 Camaro getting a 500" 695 hp IA2 Pontiac motor
      1965 GTO project car
      470ci/Chevy dual quad 409 604 HP 64 Impala SS project
      2004 Pulse Red GTO

fun thread the old IRS x 3 link x 4 link debate, you forgot to add your leafs into the mix....

Certainly, you have something to add.
      Donny

Support your local hot rod shop!

Quote Originally Posted by dhutton View Post

Don
      Mary still likes the Art Morrison IRS. It does keep the rear tire at a more optimum camber on corner exit. IRS flows over uneven pavement much better without upsetting the chassis. Street ride is much much better than a stick axle. One ride and I was sold. Off the line it may not be quite as good as a 3 or 4 link but the AME version has as much anti-squat as you can put in an IRS and it its very good. I'd say it's better than the late model Corvettes and they do quite well off the line. I think it's a matter of getting enough rear weight bias to promote rear traction. Her Camaro gained around 30 lbs but it's all sprung weight, low, and in the rear so not a bad trade off. The lighter the car, the more important it is to go with an IRS. A Ford 9" with floater axles and brakes weighs 220 lbs. Add 45 lbs each for wheels and tires and that's 310 lbs rear unsprung weight your car has to control.
      My 67 Camaro has the suspension fitted but I've been working on my house and rental house so haven't done much on it the last year and a half.
      67 Camaro RS that will be faster than anything Mary owns.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com