Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Thread: Boats and Cones

Country Flag: United States

Boats and Cones

I've been trolling around on the forum looking all of your projects for a few years. I going to attempt to document one of my build here it's a 1967 Pontiac Tempest custom. I have had a few cool cars in the past and still have more than I really need today. Been a gear hear for as long as I can remember just been into the V8s ,fast ,low cars that have a rumble or wicked sounding exhuast. I've been telling myself and my buddies I need to get out on the track & drop the hammer on my cars. Just never had the chance or the motivation on race day. Ran a class at the Boundurant school of driving in Az. Loved it. Wanted more. I've done my share of drag racing on both sides of the law all in the past. When I was younger never had the time military had me deployed most of my career. All these projects in the making have definitely given me motivation to keep working on mine. Thank you for that. So bare with me first time I doing the forum write up thing. So a little bit more on the car. It's a 1967 Pontiac Tempest custom, whatever the custom part equates to I haven't figured out just yet. When I bought it was on a trailer no running dusty, dirty, and not running. I bought the car at a gas station in Niland California. If you know where that is you are probably going to ask why was I there. At the time I was working at the railroad, filling up the company truck. As us car guys do when we see a cool car and a owner close enough to ask, I hit him the questions about the car and the story behind it. Ends up that it belonged to him and his X wife and it was sitting in her front yard for way too long. She needed to get rid of it, and said he loved the car and couldn't see it get crushed, so he picked it up in Arizona. He also said he didn't have a use for it or any ideas on what to do with it. I asked him if he was willing to sell it. Well I now own a 1967 Pontiac tempest custom. It had a 400/400 engine trans combo in it. So I did all the TLC stuff to it to get it running, everything was good to go. So I ended up getting dropped spindles, right stuff disc brakes on all 4 aftermarket springs and UMI control arm for the 4 link in the rear. The more and more I started upgrading small stuff I found this site and was disappointed I had put the time and money into parts I really didn't want anymore because I didn't know that there was so much cooler aftermarket stuff for them& people actually run them on tracks and short race courses. Well that put a pause on things until I can figure out what I really want to do with this thing. Planis to make it a daily driver, with as much handling upgrades to run this big boat through a auto X course and be happy with the results. I will let you in on the planned up grade tomorrow.
      Name:  20200215_115532.jpeg
Views: 686
Size:  73.7 KBName:  20200610_140241.jpeg
Views: 689
Size:  78.7 KBName:  20190721_153840.jpeg
Views: 682
Size:  90.6 KBName:  IMG_7765.jpg
Views: 689
Size:  177.5 KB

Welcome and thanks for sharing.
      David Sloan

If you’re suggesting sending men with weapons of war to take my weapons of war,then I’m fairly certain that’s what’s called an act of war… and the definition of tyranny.which coincidentally is the reason for the second amendment to begin with!

https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ght=fun+camaro

https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...lcamino-build!

Subscribed! Looking forward to seeing your progress.

Welcome. Looking forward to progress pictures!

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

The reason progress is very slow at the moment. And that temperature is inside my garage. Name:  20200727_184919.jpeg
Views: 518
Size:  73.7 KBName:  20181228_191757.jpeg
Views: 505
Size:  35.5 KBName:  20190303_204016.jpeg
Views: 519
Size:  95.2 KB

If it gets to be too much for you, https://www.homedepot.com/p/MRCOOL-D...0B25/311900314 . 2 grand, and 23K BTU will likely be able to knock your shop's temp down to a workable temp.

I feel you on the temp brother. over here in Yuma, so i feel your pain.

Cool car! I'd be tempted to build a '67 version of the Herb Adams gray ghost.

I try and deal with the heat in small amounts, I have been stacking parts for a while for this build. So the plan is to get it back on the road & enjoy it while I build it up. As it sits now it has a Pontiac 400/th400 with FAST efi setup. 3:23 gears with the factory 10bolt. What I have to install is ridetech strong arms and coil overs on all 4 corners. Also have the Baer 14" brakes for each corner. I'm going to swap out fuel tanks with a tanks inc fuel tank with baffles and the in tank pump. I didn't have too many issues with the in-line pump from Fast efi, but I have plans for a drive train change out in the future. So I'll be hitting the to do list as long as I can stand the heat or eventually get some cooler weather. I have thought about the air conditioning split units, but I'm all tapped out in my breaker box. So I would need to increase the line size from main transformer. Still bouncing around in my thoughts, but hasn't gone into motion. Stay safe out there.Name:  20200527_090347.jpeg
Views: 421
Size:  81.4 KBName:  20190302_161103.jpeg
Views: 417
Size:  39.9 KBName:  20190302_162535.jpeg
Views: 406
Size:  88.4 KBName:  20190218_115724.jpeg
Views: 411
Size:  102.7 KB

Its good to see another Pontiac around here. I have a 67 LeMans. I'll be following your build closely!

So its been a while since I ran the Tempest, and since I swapped out the tank, I decided to run through the fuel system. This is what I found so far. So that will be the next step, replace the fuel line to get it up & running. Hopefully nothing is jammed up in the filters or anywhere.Name:  20200806_200041.jpeg
Views: 333
Size:  80.2 KB

GM marketing says that's a mid-size car...

Quote Originally Posted by JustJohn View Post
      GM marketing says that's a mid-size car...
      I agree, it got the boat name from my wife. She called it a boat when it was parked next to my 67 camaro, but its just about the same size as her 2016 Challenger. It will definitely fill the length of a modern day car garage.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshdub View Post
      Its good to see another Pontiac around here. I have a 67 LeMans. I'll be following your build closely!
      Seems like there is more and more Pontiac coming out of the works lately. I'm with you a bunch of great ideas on this site. I've been following your build as well. Looking forward to somemore updates.

Great build. I’m following your progress especially on those brakes since I’ve yet to order some for mine due to the stock BOP rear in my 66. Can’t decide if I’m going to build it or get a quick performance 9inch. And I feel ya on the collecting parts during deployments. I’ve got a few months till I head to the sandbox for a year. Just means time to buy parts.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com