Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

69 Camaro/Firebird steering column wiring help

My 69 Firebird was born a TH400 automatic car that I swapped over to a Magnum. In doing so, I jumpered the purple wire together that was in stock form for the park safety switch (first picture). I then zip-tied the outer shell of the steering column so it would not rotate.

Now, I am replacing my steering column with an Ididit Pro-Lite column. For those not familiar, it has turn signal/hazard and horn, but not an ignition switch. I am going to, for now, wire up a toggle switch for the vehicle's power on/off and a momentary switch for the starter.

I have removed the factory steering column and the long plug for the turn signal/hazard and horn is plug and play with the Ididit Pro-Lite. That leaves me with 2 other plugs that have a bunch of wires (2nd picture). At this point, I have no CLUE how to wire up the toggle switch and momentary switch for the vehicle's power on/off and starter lol. Looking at the plugs, I *think* (correct me if I'm wrong) that the larger white plug was for the park safety since I see it has the purple wire. So then I guess the smaller black plug is for the ignition switch?

My question, please ELI5 how to wire up the toggle and momentary. The 3rd pic I have attached is of the back of the toggle and momentary switch panel I got off eBay (it's only temporary for a few months) and it came with no instructions. The toggle appears to have 3 male spades and the momentary has 2 larger gauge set-screw type terminals on the back. The 2 white wires you see are for a red LED to indicate if the vehicle power is on/off.

Any and all help is appreciated. I need to know which wires to decommission, which ones I can jumper together, and which need to go where on the switch panel.

Thanks a ton in advance!
      Attached Images Attached Images      
      http://www.TheFOAT.com/92GTA
      1969 Pontiac Firebird
      w/535ci IAII aluminum block, Dailey dry sump, Holley EFI (full road race build). Primer black w/black interior.
      1992 Pontiac Trans Am GTA w/SLP Performance Package. Dark Jade Grey Metallic, grey leather, T-Tops.

I found the attached diagram on the internet, said it was for a 69 Camaro. I've also attached a pic of the top of the momentary switch I'm using.

Hopefully, this helps out in you guys/gals helping me out....

Thanks!
      1969 Pontiac Firebird
      w/535ci IAII aluminum block, Dailey dry sump, Holley EFI (full road race build). Primer black w/black interior.
      1992 Pontiac Trans Am GTA w/SLP Performance Package. Dark Jade Grey Metallic, grey leather, T-Tops.

I found the attached diagram on Jegs for a similar switch panel and got the following response from Ididit:

"for an ignition switch you will have 4 wires. Going to the toggle switch you will have a power wire. Going out of the switch needs to be a wire going to the ignition and another going to the accessory feed on the fuse block. For the momentary starter switch you will have power going in and a wire to the starter to turn the engine over. You will either need a shop manual to find out where the wires in the pics go or follow them back to the source."

Only difference in that Jegs diagram is that my toggle has 3 connectors and that shows 2.
      1969 Pontiac Firebird

I forgot the mention that the switch panel I bought came with this relay.
      1969 Pontiac Firebird

UPDATE: I ended up buying a different panel. I bought another which has 2 additional toggles so I can have one for the ignition and one for the vehicle accessories. Seems like a much better way to go and easier to figure out without jamming everything through this little one.

When it arrives, I think I may wire it like this:

MAIN off/on toggle: Ignition
      Starter button: Crank engine
      Accessory 1: Holley + Gauges
      Accessory 2: All accessories

That way I can turn the ignition coil off when not running the engine. I can have my Holley by itself for software update/tuning. Then after starting the car, I can turn all my accessories on so there isn't a system drain during crank. Plus I can have JUST my accessories on when I want like my stereo.
      1969 Pontiac Firebird

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com