Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Pinion higher than trans yoke. Need suggestions

67 chevelle I've be working on for close to a decade. LS 6.0/4L60. Its slightly lowered. I have generic 1" setback mounts. Stock trans mount with the tab moved down about .400"

Angles are as follows.

Engine/trans 4.9 deg down.
      Driveshaft 2.1 deg uphill to the pinion.
      Rear pinion. I have it close to the trans yoke. Within. 1 deg.

Car has very little rake thus making the engine angle look worse than what it is.

No room to move trans up without cutting floor. Car is complete now. I am swapping to a 9" within a couple weeks. This will move the pinion down about .75". Driveshaft angle should end up around d 1.1 deg uphill.

Car drive fine but I get a vibration around 60mph and the rear end makes noise especially when backing up. Not sur if a ujoint is binding or what.

I'm around 7 degrees coming g off the trans. Seems excessive. I do not want to raise the car up as I have it sitting perfectly.

Any suggestions? Driveshaft mods?
      Attached Images Attached Images  
      My half a$$ed build thread.https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...elle-6-0-4L60E

Tighten it till it strips & back it off a quarter turn.

Your angles are about what I have on my 70 GTO. I solved my vibration issues with a CV driveshaft fro The DriveShaft shop.

Redoing your swap with the Holley 1" forward mounts will help make room for the trans and allow you to raise the back of the transmission some, but it won't cure your problem.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Quote Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
      Your angles are about what I have on my 70 GTO. I solved my vibration issues with a CV driveshaft fro The DriveShaft shop.

Redoing your swap with the Holley 1" forward mounts will help make room for the trans and allow you to raise the back of the transmission some, but it won't cure your problem.

Andrew
      That's good news. I actually have a quote request into them as we speak. Don't want to spend the money but at this point.....I'm switching to a 9" as soon. As it gets here then I can get good measurements.

Is your pinion higher than the transmission?
      My half a$$ed build thread.https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...elle-6-0-4L60E

Quote Originally Posted by Alwhite00 View Post
      That's good news. I actually have a quote request into them as we speak. Don't want to spend the money but at this point.....I'm switching to a 9" as soon. As it gets here then I can get good measurements.

Is your pinion higher than the transmission?
      Ask them if they still have CV yokes for the 9" and get a dual CV driveshaft made like I use in my Cougar.

Yes, in the GTO the pinion is higher than the trans. This is a dirty little secret that A body owners don't talk about. If an A body is lowered it will vibrate at highways speeds...

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Ask them if they still have CV yokes for the 9" and get a dual CV driveshaft made like I use in my Cougar.

Yes, in the GTO the pinion is higher than the trans. This is a dirty little secret that A body owners don't talk about. If an A body is lowered it will vibrate at highways speeds...

Andrew

I can adjust the pinion whenever I need it. I really don’t want to buy 2 CV joints if not needed. A single is already expensive enough.

I can adjust the pinion whenever I need it. I really don’t want to buy 2 CV joints if not needed. A single is already expensive enough.
      I run a single in my GTO.
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

I run a single in my GTO.
      how long have you had it? What diameter shaft? How much was it?

Your problem is the setback mounts, they push the trans too far back in the tunnel to allow the tail to come up. I thought they'd be better for weight distribution but they dont work unless you cut the tunnel. But, even with the forward mounts and massaging the tunnel some my trans angle is 4.5 degrees.

Last resort you can try a broken back driveline arrangement. My trans angle is close to yours, and have ended up with 3.3 degree operating angles front and rear. Seems ok up to 80 mph so far, will try some higher speeds tomorrow.
      70 GTO - Alum 5.3/4L80e, 7875
      17 GT350

Man, oh, man is this thread timely. I’m going through much the same thing on my 66.
      My engine and trans is at 2.3 degrees down and my pinion is 0.7 degrees up. The driveshaft is at zero.
      I do have a CV driveshaft and vibration hasn’t been an issue. My issue is clearance to the trans tunnel.
      I have 2” dropped spindles, 2” dropped front springs and 2” dropped rear springs. With all this and 17/18” rims I’m just about stock published ride height when measured at the rockers.
      On the ground with a full tank but no one in the car I have less than an inch clearance between the driveshaft and the driveshaft tunnel in the rear.
      I can’t raise the trans because the tunnel (already enlarged) is too tight. I’m running a 10 bolt and really can’t afford to go to a 9”.
      I’ll keep following to see how your fix works for you.
      I didn’t know about the A body dirty secret.
      Worlds Fastest LFX powered 1966 Chevelle, with a 3.6L/217 CI, 4 cam direct injected V6, 6 speed auto, full Hotchkis suspension, 4 wheel Wilwood discs, white w/red interior, cowl hood. 3260 lbs w/full tank. Built for 35 mpg. So far 32.

Melbourne Australia, dual citizen tho with USA.

Driveshaft Angles

Tremec has an awesome angle calculator for donload to cell phone. Use phone body to lay against engine/trans/pinion.
      Also does rpm/speed and something else that I've forgotten.

Alwhite00.....I'm confused that you would post this question when you are about to tear it apart and install 9". Dimensions are gonna change.
      4.9 degrees down on the trans is WAY TOO MUCH.....you've spent $30k on the car already, moving the engine/trans for a few hundred bucks has gotta be done at the same time as the 9".
      Driveshaft should enter the pinion 3* down (177* across top and 183* under the bottom) because the axle winds up about that much at launch and it should end up straight under load so as not to pull the u-joint apart.
      Actually 5* for bushed arms or leaf springs and 3* for rod ends.
      Do what DriveShaft Shop says for cv or u-joint.
      Andrewb70 and Interceptor5588 have good advice.
      Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by Interceptor5588 View Post
      Last resort you can try a broken back driveline arrangement. My trans angle is close to yours, and have ended up with 3.3 degree operating angles front and rear. Seems ok up to 80 mph so far, will try some higher speeds tomorrow.
      I have set up a bunch of cars this way. I blame the magazines for preaching the "equal but opposite" and "3 degrees!! at the engine" forever. It doesn't help that parts manufacturers continue to instruct their customers to set up pinion angle to some arbitrary number.
      Donny

Support your local hot rod shop!

Even going through all of the work moving the engine it still will not solve my uphill driveshaft angle. I’m just going to get a CV driveshaft and be done. What’s another $1,000 at this point?

moving the engine forward is not a 20 minute deal. Everything from the shift linkage to my air intake and exhaust would need to be modified. Not going to do it, this has been a 10 year off/on project and once it’s together it’s staying that way unless I can not find a work around.

Even going through all of the work moving the engine it still will not solve my uphill driveshaft angle. I’m just going to get a CV driveshaft and be done. What’s another $1,000 at this point?

moving the engine forward is not a 20 minute deal. Everything from the shift linkage to my air intake and exhaust would need to be modified. Not going to do it, this has been a 10 year off/on project and once it’s together it’s staying that way unless I can not find a work around.
      Talk to Lee and tell him that Andrew with the GTO sent you.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

Talk to Lee and tell him that Andrew with the GTO sent you.

Andrew

Lee at the driveshaft shop I presume...

Lee at the driveshaft shop I presume...
      Yes.
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com