Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Steering Column Shaft Upper Bearing

Dangit.... swapping out my steering wheel On my 70 Nova and I noticed the main shaft had some wiggle in it ( don’t laugh, I’m serious). Anyways started investigating... looks like the upper steering shaft bearing started to creep out of its seat.

It slid Out with a little help.

Anyone ever change one of these before?

Seems like if I try to push it back In there about an 1/8 inch left where I’ll need to press it somehow.

A little internet search didn’t really yield a replacement. GM part 7800269 seems to be it by the look of it but it’s discontinued. It looks like an AC Delco FW184 is similar (fits 80s gm stuff) but noT sure.

I could just try and press this one back in as well

any ideas?
      Attached Images Attached Images    

Country Flag: United States
      I have used a lot of old columns and find the bearing falling apart in a lot.of them. Usually some grease packed in there tightens it up some. There is a column rebuild kit which has the upper and lower bearings in it. Last time I was in a column my inner race came out and the balls went everywhere. I put it all back together and packed it with grease like a wheel bearing and it rotated smoothly and seemed fine. I don't build show cars I drive the cheap out of mine and it held up well.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com