Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
      You're making fast progress!

Andrew - Not really..... just trying to catch everyone up on the work that took place over the past eighteen months. It's actually pretty slow going around here, but I figured I'd try and get the postings up-to-date with current work.
      Later,
      Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Midlife View Post

As for "lawyer up," it's a phrase that refers to not admitting anything and asking for a lawyer. As a corporate attorney myself, I thought I'd have a bit of fun with it, so I ordered a vanity plate that says "LWYR UP." A friend also gave me a small decal (1" x 3") which may find it's way onto the bumper under the plate that reads: "you have the right to remain silent - use it."
      Beautiful car! FYI - I'm an attorney as well (25 years as an Army JAG); love the name.
      Check out my YouTube channel for vintage car and truck rescues and rebuilds! THE BULLETPROOF GARAGE!!! - YouTube

We interrupt this chain of updates to bring you some additional vintage pics of "Lawyer Up" during its early days........

Some interesting other cars in the background - I wonder where those other 2nd gen Camaros are these days - and a couple from it's L88 hood / dog dish hubcap days.
      Attached Images Attached Images              
      Later,
      Chris

Cool old photos

Back on-track with updates on past work.... getting close to bringing you all up to the current status:

With the suspension and brakes in place at the four corners, I reinstalled the wheels (Year One 17" repops of the original style Z28 wheels wrapped in Continental Conti-Sport Contact in 235F/285R) and moved to drive train test fitting.

This began with unwrapping the engine - a crate version of the LS7 that GM Performance put together a couple years ago by converting left-over engines to wet sump and adding a different cam to bump power.... they were sold under the LS427/570 moniker.

My plan is to use as much of what came with the engine as possible, including the tri-y stainless shorty exhaust manifolds and the clutch assembly. I'm also re-using the TKO600 transmission that the original owner installed in the car. Although he installed it back in 2015, the car only turned 400 miles between then and the time I bought it. So, I put another 600 or so miles on it before changing out the break-in fluid, then another thousand or so miles during that first summer of driving the car in it's old form. I pulled the clutch assembly off of the LS7 to verify that the pilot bearing was the proper size for use with the TKO600's input shaft snout, then performed a bellhousing runout test to ensure transmission alignment with the crankshaft centerline. I found that the bellhousing (a titanium / aluminum alloy piece that came from Silver Sport Transmission - great guys to deal with) was just a few thousands out of spec, so I added a pair of offset dowels to correct for the misalignment. Once properly aligned, the bellhousing runout was less than .001 - success!

With everything in alignment, I test fitted the transmission and bellhousing to the engine before fitting the assembly into the car.
      Later,
      Chris

That's a great engine!

Nice work!

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Time for a bit more catch-up updates......

With the engine / transmission together temporarily, I took the opportunity to fit it into the chassis and check a bunch of things. The list of mock-up checks included engine mount fitment, oil pan-to-crossmember, bellhousing-to-firewall , shifter location, crankshaft / output shaft centerline down-angle, brake booster, windshield wiper motor, exhaust manifold clearance (both at the front subframe and the steering shaft), heater hose inlet/outlet proximity to passenger upper control arm bushing, and a multitude of other small things.

Once the engine and transmission were in the chassis, I also did a preliminary fitting of the radiator core support, radiator and cooling fans, Vintage Air condensor and drier, oil cooler, and power steering cooler.

• Engine mounts - GForce adjustable LS swap mounts
      • Brake booster and master cylinder - Detroit Speed dual diaphragm
      • Clutch hydraulics - Silver Sport Transmission assembly that includes many Willwood components
      • Radiator - Wizard Cooling with upgraded tube width and twin Spal electric fans

All this test fitting and clearance checking resulted in lots of bracket fabrication and other things, so work continues on lots of these little things. But, here are some pics of this work.
      Later,
      Chris

We're finally getting pretty close to up-to-date on project status. The engine and transmission have been in since last spring and I've been working on all of the little things that go along with a build like this. My focus lately has been to figure out all of the plumbing for the car. Seems like a simple thing, until you start thinking in terms of both liquids and gasses; and all the systems involved. Fuel fill, delivery, and vapor handling; coolant (including steam and overflow); brakes; clutch hydraulics; oil cooler; power steering (and cooler); windshield washer; HVAC (ducting for air flow and hoses for liquids and gasses); and even inlet air and exhaust. In order to figure all of this out, I've been focusing on mocking up all of the origination and termination points for these systems so that I can plan out the needed materials and paths.

In the mean time, I had a little fun with the badging on the car. As mentioned in a much earlier post, back in '73, when a Z28 was ordered with the Type LT package, the car did not come with any Z28 badging and couldn't be ordered with stripes. I rectified the no-stripe issue with matte black vinyl and the original owner resolved the Z28 badge deficiency by adding those to the grill and rear spoiler. The Type LT badges remained on the car - nose, tail panel, and roof panel behind the doors. On the fenders, the car was originally equipped with "Camaro" script with "350" badges below - no crossed flags or anything showy. So, I decided to keep the script emblems, but found replacements for the displacement badges that mimic the style of the "Type LT" badges. Only now, the displacement matches the engine upgrade.

Here's a before and after........
      Later,
      Chris

Now that we're all caught-up on project status, here's something new that I've been working on lately - power steering and engine oil coolers. The power steering cooler is a Derale double row unit that I mounted to the Vintage Air condensor frame and the engine oil cooler is a 10-row unit from Setrab. For the engine oil cooler, I fab'd up a couple of brackets using some .060 sheet metal that'll get powdercoated next time I take a batch of stuff in. The brackets are secured using rivnuts that I added to the radiator core support, as the lower mounting point is a blind cavity.

Missing hardware is just because this is mock-up stage, still. More info on this installation once everything is in the final position and the lines are routed and installed.
      Later,
      Chris

I wouldn't be a bit surprised if you took a tape measure to them and found they were almost factory correct which would be outstanding for "eyeballing" them.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com