Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

Take Two - Back with a New Project - '73 Camaro - "Lawyer Up"

Hi Everyone - Well, I'm back after an eight year hiatus. Back in the summer of '12, I bought a base '72 Camaro with the plan of building a pro-touring car - the ill-fated "Project Midlife." Things happened, and I ended up selling that car and focusing on other projects, including finishing my Factory Five Cobra replica build - which has been on the road for five years and 14k miles.

A few months ago, I decided to resurrect the idea of building a pro-touring 2nd gen Camaro and found what I think is the perfect candidate..... meet "Lawyer Up."

It's a one-owner '73 LT Z28 4-speed that has just 16k miles on the odo..... most of which were racked-up a quarter mile at a time at Milan Dragway in Michigan and likely earned its driver some additional gas money on Woodward and other Detroit area haunts late at night. It was a dedicated drag racer from day one until the late '90s, when it was put back on the street for the cruise night and car show circuit. Over the years, its first owner blew things up (original motor... gone - same for the transmission and rear end) and applied various paints and finishes to protect the car forever. All this added up to a non-numbers matching car with lots of gloss black Imron surfaces, but an otherwise perfect time capsule of a survivor - but one that was hotrodded from day one - and always will be. There are bumps and scrapes here and there, but overall the nearly original paint (front and rear valances have been re-sprayed) is in great shape and covers all original sheetmetal. The interior is nearly perfect, as most of it was removed when the car was new and stored for decades.

My plan is the leave the exterior as-is and do limited updates to the interior. The focus will be on suspension, brakes, wheels/tires, and engine. The transmission is already taken care of, as it received a TKO600 just a few hundred miles ago. The engine is an early LT1 solid-lifter with an Edelbrock upper end - heads, intake, and carb. Although I haven't made too many decisions on exact parts that I'll use, I'm leaning towards the new LS427 (wet sump version) crate engine, but will be enjoying the current motor for the remainder of this summer as I drive it around and get to know the car.

Here are a bunch of pics - some from back in the day and others from just last week.....
      Attached Images Attached Images              
      Later,
      Chris

SWEET car to start with!
      Cars are meant to be driven.

John B

I like it.

Two questions though:

- What's the little emblem next to the grille? (I'm sure it's something normal and expected but I guess I've never seen it?)
      - Why the name "Lawyer Up"?

Hey Derek -

The emblem next to the grille is the "Type LT" badge - there're three others... one on the tail panel and one on each sail panel behind the door windows. In '73, Chevrolet dropped the SS package and introduced the Type LT - which stood for "luxury touring." It was actually a model designation, not an option package, so if the second character in the VIN is an S, it's a Type LT version (the Sport Coupe versions had a Q for the second character). The Z28 package, as well as the RS package, could be added to a Type LT - though this one only has Z28, the original owner added the split bumpers and I'm waiting for the full width bumper to come back from the chrome shop so I can reinstall it (was sitting on the floor of his garage for years and looks a bit worse for the wear). The Z28 package can also be confirmed by the VIN, as the fifth character for cars with that option is a T, which is what this one shows. Surprisingly, when a Type LT had the Z28 package added, the car received no Z28 badges (the original owner added the one on the grille and the rear spoiler) and you couldn't add stripes at all from the factory. I guess it was the ultimate sleeper Camaro back in '73.... although it did still get the Z28 5-spoke wheels and RWL tires standard.

As for "lawyer up," it's a phrase that refers to not admitting anything and asking for a lawyer. As a corporate attorney myself, I thought I'd have a bit of fun with it, so I ordered a vanity plate that says "LWYR UP." A friend also gave me a small decal (1" x 3") which may find it's way onto the bumper under the plate that reads: "you have the right to remain silent - use it."
      Later,
      Chris

Good deal, Chris, thank you. I'd kinda guessed as much on the name but always nice to have the story to go with it.

Time for my first update - some exterior work and parts on-order.

After 47 years or so without stripes, this Z28 finally received a set. I have a friend who owns a sign shop, so after picking up the painted stripe template kit, we played around with his plotter and came up with a pattern that worked pretty good. For our first attempt, we went with a matte black vinyl and, at least to my eyes, nailed it right out of the box. Adding the stripes really makes the car pop and, combined with the black lower rockers, chin spoiler, tail lamp panel, and vinyl top, these just look right on the car.

Later,
      Chris

Another thing that I did was to refinish the front spoiler - it had taken on a nasty combination of milky, shiny, and flat patches. I used Eastwood's "Plastic Resurfacer," which is really just a high-solvent spray bomb with a bit of black pigment. It supposedly reactivates the surface of the plastic and bonds the pigment, leaving a like-new finish. I went a bit further by taking the spoiler off, giving it a good bath in Dawn detergent and then some paint prep solvent. After letting it dry really well, I scuffed the surface with 400 grit sandpaper and then gave it another cleaning with paint prep. After sufficient drying time, I then gave it four coats of the Plastic Resurfacer.

I don't know how durable the new finish will be, but time will tell.

Here are before and after shots.....
      Later,
      Chris

As the above post on the chin spoiler shows, I played around with fitting a full-width bumper (sans bumperettes). This isn't the original one, as that was pranged against a building when the original owner turned the key with the car in gear and without the parking brake set. He had this one laying around and had filled in the extra holes for the bumperettes and reinforcement bar. So, after grinding down those welds, I dropped it off at the local chrome plating shop for refinishing.

So, although this car has had those RS split bumpers on-and-off since at least '74, I think it's time it wears its full-width bumper with pride.
      Later,
      Chris

As for the reference to parts being ordered, I decided to go with ridetech for suspension, so I ordered their full front and rear coil-over kit with 4-link earlier this week.

I also decided to step-up the rear end strength and ordered a stock-width Currie 9 inch with a 3.70 ring on a TrueTrac.

The final part of the order was a Baer big brake conversion - 6 Pro+ with 13" rotors for the front and SS4+ with 13" rotors with integral parking brakes for the rear.

Going with the 13" rotors for the front instead of the 14" version allows me to use the Year One replica Z28 wheels - to which I'm adding Continental ExtremeContact Sport tires (255 for the front and 285 for the rear). I will most likely also get a set of 18s somewhere down the road, but I really like the vintage vibe of those wheels from Year One. Given that I'm not doing anything more with the exterior, I'll run these for a while and see if I like the very limited outward appearance change. If I want more bling, along with a wider selection of tires and the ability to go even wider, I'll upgrade the wheels later.

No parts on-hand yet, so here are a few file photos......
      Later,
      Chris

The stripes look good on there, and I wouldn't be a bit surprised if you took a tape measure to them and found they were almost factory correct which would be outstanding for "eyeballing" them.

Dig the car, and the build, looking forward to the updates!
      1972 C20 Suburban
      1964 Corvette Coupe

The first of many parts have begun to arrive.

Tires showed up the other day - Continental ExtremeContact-Sport (255 front and 285 rear). That was followed closely by the first shipment (seven packages) from ridetech (including the Borgeson steering box). There are still a few things pending from this first wave, including a couple of back-ordered items from ridetech, as well as the rear end, brakes, and wheels.

Next up will be a new instrument panel (Dakota Digital RTX with 7k redline markings for the LS427) and some decent seats.

If anyone has suggestions on seats, I'm all ears. Looking for something that is firm, has good bolstering, and offers day-long comfort for big trips. The plan is to buy a set of reproduction seat covers in the same material as the car currently has and have the new seats recovered to look like the originals.
      Later,
      Chris

Great looking car. Nice start so far.
      My half a$$ed build thread.https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...elle-6-0-4L60E

Tighten it till it strips & back it off a quarter turn.

Great start!

If you are going to use the stock subframe, and are doing the LS swap, I suggest using the Holley swap components.

https://www.holley.com/products/engi...ap_components/

If you decide to go with Holley EFI, don't hesitate to get in touch for tuning and wiring assistance.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

On seats, I'm going with these guys. This is the same sort of seat they put in those sand rails and whatnot that run 70-80MPH through the desert, and they're cushy enough that people aren't ramming their tailbones through their skulls after an 80ft jump. This one is made the same as the offroad versions, but it's designed for a street car, and has a recline function. Had my wife sit in one and she found it quite comfortable, which is saying something considering she had an auto accident several years ago that she didn't do too well in. She has to lay down for longer trips, and I'm hoping these seats will allow her to ride comfortably. Going to buy them new, then have them recovered to match my interior.

They make a narrower version if this one is too wide, but I have the room in my project.

Quote Originally Posted by Vimes View Post
      On seats, I'm going with these guys. This is the same sort of seat they put in those sand rails and whatnot that run 70-80MPH through the desert, and they're cushy enough that people aren't ramming their tailbones through their skulls after an 80ft jump. This one is made the same as the offroad versions, but it's designed for a street car, and has a recline function. Had my wife sit in one and she found it quite comfortable, which is saying something considering she had an auto accident several years ago that she didn't do too well in. She has to lay down for longer trips, and I'm hoping these seats will allow her to ride comfortably. Going to buy them new, then have them recovered to match my interior.

They make a narrower version if this one is too wide, but I have the room in my project.

Thanks for the tip on those seats - I looked at a variety of what they offer and had a chance to sit in some at a local shop today. I sent a bunch of pics to my upholstery guy to see what he thinks about re-doing them with some aftermarket seat covers to look more like the original pattern. Should be a fun exercise to blend these two and see if we can get something that looks original-ish.....
      Later,
      Chris

Wheels arrived the other day - they look way better in person than in the pics I've seen on line.

No real sense in test-fitting them, as all of the suspension will be revised during this winter's rebuild, but I may mount up the new tires and see how everything looks on the car with the current suspension set-up just to get a flavor of how the car will look when done.
      Later,
      Chris

Made the decision on motivation today and ordered the LS427/570. As it turns out, the original owner, who worked for GM racing building engines for the past 10 years is friends with the guy (or one of the guys) who does the upgrades on these motors to change them from the stock dry-sump configuration into the upgraded version. Sorta a small world....

Here's a file pic of the engine.....
      Later,
      Chris

Sweet choices, it's going to be fun to watch.
      Cars are meant to be driven.

John B

FedEx man came, bearing gifts.......
      Later,
      Chris

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com