Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

70 Mustang Ride Tech Coil over pre load adjustment

I am setting my ride height on my 70 mach 1 project and i'm starting to get it close but It's taking a lot more spring pre load on the drivers front and the passenger rear corner. I spoke with Ride tech on this and he said it's pretty typical that they are different for different weights on each corner. I kinda assumed that but I forgot to ask if there is such a thing as being too different from each other. My right rear is adjusted up more than an inch higher than the left and although I'm getting close it may still need a little more to get the car level. Although not as extreme the front drivers side is taking a considerable amount more than the passenger side also. It will probably be 3/4-1" different there also. Is that ok?

That sounds excessive to me. If you support the body (not suspension) on jack stands is it more or less level?

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Quote Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
      That sounds excessive to me. If you support the body (not suspension) on jack stands is it more or less level?

Don
      Yes, when I leveled the car on jack stands initially to weld on the 4 link tabs to the rear housing everything looked good. There is a fair amount of aftermarket sheet metal on the car but most everything measures real consistent. There is slightly more wheel arch on the right fender so that is some of it and I'm sure with braking system, steering column, and a few other items the left side is weighted a little heavier in the front. For the rear I'm not quite sure what would make the right side appear heavier. I'm using a 4 1/2" spacer I made like Ride Tech suggested to go in between the axle and bottom of the frame rail just above the axle. But it's taking a lot more pre-load to achieve that gap on the passenger side.

I would start again with all coilovers set the same. Leave the front on jack stands and level the rear. Something just doesn’t sound right.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Quote Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
      I would start again with all coilovers set the same. Love the front on jack stands and level the rear. Something just doesn’t sound right.

Don
      I'll play with it some more. Ride tech did say it's very common that they are different from each other. I did say I was still tweaking it and some were 1/2"-3/4" different from each other and the guy I talked to at Ride Tech said that wasn't out of line. As I get closer it is more like an inch of more preload on the right rear. The car sits very square/level up on jack stands on level concrete and taking various measurements from the car to the ground it all looks good. The front of the car sat nearly identical with stock type coil springs. I always had more gap on the right front but at least with the coil over setup I should be able to level it out.

Well I played with the suspension more and double checked everything. It all looked good but to get the ride height and stance the coil spring pre load was very different side to side and front to back. I got the car aligned and it went really pretty well and didn't take much adjusting at all..a small amount of caster on the right side along with camber as well. The left side was right on the money and just set the toe. I haven't taken the car out of town yet but up to 40mph it drives and rides real nice and sits with a great stance.

what rate spring in comparison to vehicle corner weight? ....

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
      what rate spring in comparison to vehicle corner weight? ....
      I don't remember the spring ratings. I think the rear was probably standard for what ridetech generally uses on the car and I was asked what engine, if it had iron heads, and what trans when I placed the order.

I haven't scaled it but I would like to.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com