Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: Canada

GM/Tremec ACD 12453263 bellhousing dial in needed?

Hi All, I purchased a package GM crate LS3 and Tremec T56 trans with GM complete transmission installation kit from a local dealership. No where within the GM Performance instructions that came with the clutch package and Tremec bellhousing does it state that the aluminum bellhousing needs to be checked for runout with a dial indicator. In fact, the instructions move straight into bolting on and torquing the bellhousing after installing the disc and pressure plate.

The bare aluminum bellhousing is a nice looking piece and appears nicely machined, with no coatings to potentially create any additional misalignment issues on top of possible factory casting concerns.

I have read a lot on the topic and viewed many videos on aligning aftermarket bellhousings, but I haven't found one piece of information on the exact factory Tremec aluminum bellhousings supplied in these packages, being in need of alignment. Did GM align every bellhousing on Camaros and Corvettes?

So my questions are, has anyone here installed one of these T56 Magnum Transmission Installation Kits and did you align the Tremec bellhousing, or did you simply bolt it up as per the instructions? If you did use a dial indicator, did you find misalignment or was it within tolerance? If you didn't align yours, has the operation of the transmission been trouble free or do you have issues?

If i have to align this bellhousing then I assume I'll need to buy the QuickTime RM-130 Index Plate for around $89.00 USD.

Appreciate all comments on this, especially from those who have installed this exact package. Cheers.

Country Flag: United States
      I have not indicated one myself, but typically the OEM bellhousings do not need to be indicated. All of the cars with LS engines leave the factory with 0 offset dowel pins. If it were me, Id check it for the hell of it.
      -Chris
      '69 Corvette
      '55 Chevy Hardtop
      AutoWorks Middletown, NJ
      @autoworksnj for corvette and shop car pics
      https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...e-Build-Thread

I slap em together and send it....but, it is never a bad idea to check alignment. LOL

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Thanks guys. After considerable thought and reading, I made the call to assemble it as received in the kit and as per the GM instructions. I also spoke to a buddy who has a couple of LS powered race cars, and his response was similar in that these are matched GM part numbered items and not a composition of various manufacturers parts.

If and when I get the car running again (!) I'll let you know if I run into any issues.

Thanks again for the comments!

My experience with the modern OEM machining has been very positive. The reality is that these parts probably see very little human labor.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

GMPP LS3 and T56

73GA,

I have the same set up in a 70 Nova I bought as the Connect and Cruise Kit. 525hp LS3 and T56 Magnum

I thought about checking the bell housing run out but decided we didn't need to do it. The instructions didn't mention it so I figured GM had it within spec from the factory.

It has ~4,000 miles on it now and the clutch and trans are doing fine.
      If you haven't installed the throwout bearing yet, I would consider adding a hose to the bleeder port. I didn't and bleeding is messy.

I have been very happy with the Connect and Cruise kit. I just wish GM hadn't taken the pwm for fan control out of the computer.

R/
      Wes

Yes, a remote bleeder kit makes bleeding neater and easier.
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

Quote Originally Posted by WesB View Post
      73GA,

I have the same set up in a 70 Nova I bought as the Connect and Cruise Kit. 525hp LS3 and T56 Magnum

I thought about checking the bell housing run out but decided we didn't need to do it. The instructions didn't mention it so I figured GM had it within spec from the factory.

It has ~4,000 miles on it now and the clutch and trans are doing fine.
      If you haven't installed the throwout bearing yet, I would consider adding a hose to the bleeder port. I didn't and bleeding is messy.

I have been very happy with the Connect and Cruise kit. I just wish GM hadn't taken the pwm for fan control out of the computer.

R/
      Wes
      Thanks for the feedback Wes. I see Speedway has a bleeder kit that looks good and isn't costly. I was unaware of the removal of the PWM for the fan control from the computer, so thanks for mentioning that.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com