Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

1969 camaro fuel inlet relocation?

I see some people use the ridetech gas inlet and a 68 tank on a 1969 they just drill into the tail pan, is it simply for cosmetic reasons? I read somewhere the fuel leaks from the stock location since it’s so low? Just wanted to know the reasoning behind it

Country Flag: United States
      I section in the gas filler section of a 67-68 tailpan so that is it nicely recessed. The reason I did it is because the 69 fuel filler is so damn low especially if you lower the car. It also looks good imho.

Here’s one that I did recently.

Don
      Attached Images Attached Images  
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

I always though the flip-down license plate filler location was cool, but as I get older and after lowering the car a lot, my knees and back are starting to hate me. I often have to crouch at the gas station and hold the nozzle at a reduced rate, otherwise fuel backs up into the neck and the nozzle stops prematurely.

I think relocating to the tail panel or somewhere higher is a practical consideration as well as cosmetic.

Also when I ran a vented cap, fuel would slosh out the back going down the road. Now I have a vent in top of my tank (with a safety check valve) so I can run a fully sealed gap.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
      I section in the gas filler section of a 67-68 tailpan so that is it nicely recessed.
      Can you buy the relevant sheet metal parts aftermarket? I'm curious how hard they are to integrate into a 3rd gen Nova. I've seen it done on a few, but never seen how it was done exactly.
      Clint - '70 Nova "restomod" cruiser & autocross family car

- - - Updated - - -

Can you buy the relevant sheet metal parts aftermarket? I'm curious how hard they are to integrate into a 3rd gen Nova. I've seen it done on a few, but never seen how it was done exactly.[/QUOTE]

This is the panel I use. Only $110 shipped. Well worth it imho.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1967-1968-C...wAAOSwil5bNoFT

Don
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Quote Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
      I section in the gas filler section of a 67-68 tailpan so that is it nicely recessed. The reason I did it is because the 69 fuel filler is so damn low especially if you lower the car. It also looks good imho.

Here’s one that I did recently.

Don
      I kinda prefer the tail pan without the gas inlet. I wanted to know if say I was to auto cross/track the car if fuel would slosh bad enough to leak out of the stock inlet since it’s so low?

Quote Originally Posted by 71maroesteban View Post
      I kinda prefer the tail pan without the gas inlet. I wanted to know if say I was to auto cross/track the car if fuel would slosh bad enough to leak out of the stock inlet since it’s so low?
      It will be ok if your cap is not vented. If it’s vented you will likely leak fuel out the vent.

Don

1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com