Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
      So...what spindle are you using for the Corvette brake setup? Super sweet build. Keep the updates coming.

The spindle is for a S10 Blazer, from Belltech. It differs from the pickup as it has a unit bearing instead of traditional bearings/races.
      If you planned to run a wheel with high positive offset & a spacer, it would clear the pick-up hub (same hub as a Monte Carlo), but most modern aftermarket wheels are no longer designed for the old style hubs.

The unit bearing has no protrusion to cause wheel interference.

Brake brackets are from Kore3.

Name:  IMG_1128.jpg
Views: 2168
Size:  235.3 KB

I used the drop spindle as it allows more wheel clearance at the upper control arm for additional wheel backspace & extended ball joints (running 1" uppers), but at the expense of tie rod clearance. Due to the brakes, I have to run an 18" minimum diameter so a wheel with over 5.5" backspace will still clear the tie rod. A 17" would hit the tie rod unless it was narrower... guessing less than 5" BS.

When I did a mock-up of wheels on totally stock suspension, an 18" wheel with 5.7" BS touched the upper control arm with any steering input. Currently I'm trying to find a suitable 10.5" wheel with approx 6.25" back space.

I'm currently undecided on wheels.... large 18" tires in 305/315 sizes are limited to race type offerings with 0-200 tread wear & about $350+ per tire, Not sensible for a daily driver. In a 19", the choices go up drastically with many tires in the 300 tread wear category for reasonable prices. What I'm afraid of is the o-ring appearance of a very short sidewall. I'm worried that I will not like the looks of a 305/30-19, whereas I like the 305/35-18 sidewall.

Country Flag: United States
      Holy moly. You get more done in 5 minutes than I get done all year.

Way outside your choice, but I plan on 255/55R18s for my own truck. 29 inches tall, the truck won't wander the wallered out parts on older roads and it won't hydroplane nearly as easily when it rains. Plus, the thicker sidewalls make for a more comfortable ride and you'll be far less likely to take wheel damage on potholes or accidental curbings. Going to run BFG Advantage TAs, which I've found to be a really good all-around tire. I'd probably leave the wide tires for the dragstrip.

I'm just getting caught up with my posts... I've been working on the truck since March. Started with mock-ups & measurements, then stalled out for a few months due to Covid 19 & a lack of parts availability. Started receiving my parts about in June so I hit it hard then. Painted the floor 2 weeks ago & installed the engine last weekend. Put the new trans in 2 nights ago & spent all weekend trying to fab up exhaust.

Thanks for all the great info!

After being tortured with clearance issues, I decided to fab some 1/4" spacers for use between the body & frame. This freed up some space between the headers & steering shaft as well as helping the transmission to floor clearance.

Name:  IMG_1149.jpg
Views: 1906
Size:  262.4 KB

Now I can move on to other things such as exhaust.
      I decided to go with dual 3" into a single 3.5" in 304 stainless.

Name:  IMG_1142.jpg
Views: 1929
Size:  241.9 KB

I still have polishing to do, but it is coming together.
      Name:  IMG_1145.jpg
Views: 1943
Size:  240.6 KB

The muffler I want needs custom made, so the wait is 6-8 weeks... but I'll steal the one off my Firebird in the meantime to keep some progress moving forward.

Waited 4 weeks for my rear to come in, only to have UPS Freight mangle it. Somehow it managed to arrive upside down with the pallet on top of the rear....

Paid extra for powder coating & considered refusing it, but I knew it would delay things another month at least.

Name:  S60.jpg
Views: 1894
Size:  236.3 KB

Fortunately the cover was the main casualty, which I planned to replace anyway.

Name:  Strange.jpeg
Views: 1905
Size:  179.1 KB

The S60 is a beast of a rear end. Looks good!

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Yes it is.... but history has proved I can break anything, so I tend to error on the safe side.
      I also ordered a chrome-moly driveshaft with forged ends. It may be overkill but I like those parts to stay attached.

My projects also have the tendency to grow in HP the longer I own them, so if/when I upgrade with forced induction, I'm still covered.

Nice build! I like what your doing.
      Wayne
      Car FINALLY home !!!!!! lol
      Project FNQUIK https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ghlight=FNQUIK

Drive shaft will be here tomorrow.

A sample wheel will be in on Friday for test fitting.
      Trying to fit a 19x10.5 with 305/30-19 in the front, so I am pushing the fitment limits.

I got the C6 Z06 rear brakes installed, but cannot fit the calipers until my larger wheels are in.
      Pics to follow, next time the wheels are off.

I did some painting while things were apart.

In addition to adding a roll pan, I decided to repaint the tonneau cover & tailgate.
      The stripes are now painted on & the clear sanded smooth so you cannot feel the stripes... I never liked decals on my vehicles.

Name:  IMG_1295.jpg
Views: 1701
Size:  148.1 KB

Name:  IMG_1304.jpg
Views: 1722
Size:  183.8 KB

I also decided to paint match the calipers.

Name:  IMG_1322.jpg
Views: 1717
Size:  212.1 KB

Tires are finally installed. 305/30-19 front & 305/35-19 rear.

Name:  Side View.jpg
Views: 2997
Size:  192.5 KB

I would say you nailed the stance....

T,

I've experimented by raising/lowering it slightly +/- 1" to see where I like it best.

Surprisingly the rear wheel openings are larger but to not have as much clearance as the front.
      I did not like the shorter tire height in the rear & ended up with a staggered fitment that is a little over 1" taller in the rear.
      It looks much better but I don't have much room to spare.

Suspension travel is at a premium so I ended up with the rear about 1" higher than the front to equalize travel & balance the fender gaps.
      I have approx 3" of compression so I'm hoping it works out OK. The 650# front springs should not move a great deal.

That looks great, stance is perfect.
      Love this build.

It took a lot of fitting to get a tire with 12.4" section width under the front.

The 2" drop spindles allowed me to run a 1" tall ball joint for better camber gain, but still clear a wheel with over 6 backspace.
      Blazer unit bearings open up wheel choices as there is no longer a hub/dust cover protruding through the wheel.

I also had to machine custom spacers to get the offset where it would work, even though the brakes complicated things a lot...
      Getting a wheel with a nice lip that had almost 2" of caliper clearance plus over 6" backspace was tough to find for a reasonable price.
      I would like more backspace at this point, but I only have .100" caliper to wheel clearance & was not inclined to buy a $5000 set of custom wheels.

Currently fitting a battery box under the rear of the truck to gain room for an air box under the hood. Also moving 40lb to the rear helps an already front heavy vehicle.

I also got my exhaust finished.... dual 3" into a single 3.5" to the rear, all hidden behind the frame so none is visible from the side or rear.
      Name:  Exhaust.jpg
Views: 1633
Size:  217.7 KB

Blown away by this build and would love to see what else you’ve built.
      marty-mj
      GarageScene.net High Speed Welding KDHotrods RecoveryRoomInteriors WegnerAutomotive Autometer Ride-Tech

A little more progress...

I've been working on the tonneau cover for the last few days.

It turned into quite a project... after the usual bodywork making fiberglass straight, I spent about 6 hrs masking the stripes & emblem off. Then after multiple coats of silver, blue & clear, it is finally painted.

Now another 5hrs of sanding to level the 2 colors so you cannot feel the transitions & then buff to the final finish.

Here is the freshly painted version.

Name:  Tonneau.jpeg
Views: 1578
Size:  188.9 KB

It keeps rotating it for some reason...

Looks great.
      marty-mj
      GarageScene.net High Speed Welding KDHotrods RecoveryRoomInteriors WegnerAutomotive Autometer Ride-Tech

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com