Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Brake and Hazard Fuses blowing

I recently replaced the wiring harness in my 69 Camaro with an AAW Classic Update kit. Everything was working well (I think, it’s been a progressive build) until recently.

I noticed my courtesy lights were out. I thought maybe the bulbs burnt out because my son was playing and holding the doors open for extended periods. But now I realize there is a problem.

I went to replace the fuse and noticed the brake lights and the courtesy lights are on the same fuse. I pressed the brake and the brake lights did not come on (not sure why I tried this since I knew the fuse was blown, but trying to layout what I know). I then tried the hazard switch, I turned it on and the fuse blew. I then tried the turn signals (had to turn the key on) and they worked.

I Replaced the brake/courtesy fuse and pressed the brakes, the fuse blew. I unplugged the rear harness plug to see if that would have an effect, changed the fuse, pressed the brakes and the fuse blew. What could be going on? The turn signals work, but the brake blows fuses?

The bulbs are 1157s, all replaced when I did the harness. I checked the brake light operation and hazard operation when I did the harness and it all worked. What’s really getting me is the turn signals work, but the brake blows the fuse. And when I disconnect the rear body harness it still blows the fuse.

Sounds like a short in the white wire from the brake light switch. Or maybe the blue wire that goes to the third brake light feed. They run off the same circuit. Unplug the white wire from the brake light switch and then turn on the hazards and see if the fuse blows again. If not then you're gonna have to trace that wire and see if it didn't get pinched somewhere. The blue one for the 3rd brake light feeds off of that wire as well so check that one too. If it blows still then it may be somewhere in the turn signal switch or turn signal switch harness. Let us know what you find.

Alex

I unplugged the steering column connection/turn signal switch and pressed the brake, the fuse did not blow. So I’m guessing it’s a short in the turn signal switch or harness in the steering column. I contacted AAW and they have been very responsive. I’m waiting to see if they suggest replacing the turn signal switch or additional testing.

I pulled the steering wheel and inspected the turn signal harness. I found the brake light wire (white wire) pinched and grounding to the column. Fixed the damaged wire and now it all works again.

Name:  22ift0.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  75.6 KB
      Tracey

That's awesome! Glad to hear you found it.

Alex

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com