Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Flex pipe.. Why?

I am noticing some builds are using Flex pipe. like this.. on RWD builds.. these were originally used only for transverse mounted engines since the torque of the motor made solid mounting an issue.. .. so I am wondering if I am missing something as to why this is a thing? It it just a trend or is their some material value for a RWD car that I am missing..
      Attached Images Attached Images  
      From a place you will not see comes a sound you will not hear....

67 Camaro In progress

https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...-Tap-67-camaro

I put them on mine simply to make it easier to line everything up when taking my exhaust system on and off. Also, my simple mind told me that I’d have fewer problems if things weren’t twisting against each other as they heat, cool, and torque twist around. The flex connectors were cheap enough to add in when I welded up my system.

NVH for factory cars also.

They're not a terrible idea.

Tracey

Country Flag: United States
      Along with the above they can also be used on exhaust systems with very tight clearances to the floor or body work. You can rigid mount the exhaust and put a flex pipe at the engine to accommodate movement.
      1972 Plymouth 'Cuda - Not LS-swapped, 5.7L Hemi [MS3 Gold Box], T56 Magnum 6-speed - 'Cuda Build Page
      1976 Dodge D100 - Warlock
      2016 Subaru WRX - E30 Tune

Allow for fine tuning exhaust routing, vibration doesn’t possibly break exhaust hangers, helps with movement if you bottom out some etc.

Quote Originally Posted by GoodysGotaCuda View Post
      Along with the above they can also be used on exhaust systems with very tight clearances to the floor or body work. You can rigid mount the exhaust and put a flex pipe at the engine to accommodate movement.
      Sadly, I found out the hard way that I still had vibration when I rigid-mounted my system starting a couple of feet past the flex connector. Once I got rid of that mount all my vibration went away. I still have my tailpipes rigid-mounted with no problems.

Put a couple in for the same reasons
      Attached Images Attached Images  

Any recommendations on brand or design? I need to put them in now, I raised the trans to get better driveline angles, it is a bitch to get exhaust lined back up.

thanks

These are great for NVH and heating/cooling changes but shouldn’t be used to correct mis-alignments. They need to be installed “centered”. They can only move so much in each direction so starting with a mis-alignment minimizes the remaining movement on that axis.
      Worlds Fastest LFX powered 1966 Chevelle, with a 3.6L/217 CI, 4 cam direct injected V6, 6 speed auto, full Hotchkis suspension, 4 wheel Wilwood discs, white w/red interior, cowl hood. 3260 lbs w/full tank. Built for 35 mpg. So far 32.

I didn't plan on using them like that. I will reposition the exhaust and add the flex, I figured I would add them now because I have to take out the strain, might as well add the flex.

3 different higher end shops have tried to steer me away from using these. I still plan on using them when I can find a shop near me to do the work.
      1971 Firebird
      2017 Slipstream SS

Quote Originally Posted by cpd004 View Post
      3 different higher end shops have tried to steer me away from using these. I still plan on using them when I can find a shop near me to do the work.
      agreed.. I went without.. even though the shop who welded the exhaust tried to convince me I needed them ..
      From a place you will not see comes a sound you will not hear....

67 Camaro In progress

https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...-Tap-67-camaro

Where did you get those exhaust clamps sheltered Chevelle ??? They look great

It might be me imagining things but I get a really bad, almost exhaust leak sound, through mine.

I am thinking about using that space for resonators.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com