Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Should I have shimmed the clutch slave?

LS1/T56.

Proper new ACDelco slave, rebuilt McLeod dual-disk, used master with the ATS bracket.

Bled it with a Motive Power pressure bleeder, but it didn't seem to matter how far I pressed the clutch pedal down, if it was running and in gear then the wheels were turning.

Replaced the master with a new one and ran another cycle with the pressure bleeding. Now if it's in gear, the clutch pedal is able to disengage enough for the wheels to stop... but I can't put it in gear if the engine is running.

I suspect that I will not be able to drop the tranny without pulling the engine so I'd prefer not to do that, but I'm starting to think that'd be the next step. Is my suspicion accurate? Would an adjustable master be a better route? Would there be anything with the braided hose that would be an issue?

Can't answer that question without measurements that I guess you don't have. If I had to guess, I would say no, as the stack up on a dual disc is typically more than a single and the problem is typically not enough rearward travel as the clutch wears.

With hydraulic clutches, I have had better luck manual bleeding or vacuum bleeding from the MC reservoir as opposed to pressure bleeding.
      Donny

Support your local hot rod shop!

Yeah, "not measuring" and "not adding a remote bleeder" are both high on the list of regrets there.

Thanks, I'll try to recruit my youngest next time he's over to try to bleed it the old-fashioned way.

I agree, those things can be a beeotch to bleed. I have have good luck reverse bleeding with a Phoenix reverse bleeder.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

I pulse bled my master with a Phoenix bleeder. I read that its typical for air to become trapped in Master Cylinders that angle down like these. Bench bleeding first may have aslo helped if you didn't do that.
      Big dreams, small pockets....

Chris--
      '72 Cutlass S LSA/T56 Magnum
      Bowler Performance, Rushforth Wheels, ATS, Holley EFI, KORE3, Ridetech

Project Motor City Madness

If the next round of bleeding doesn't cure the issue, you may also want to look at the bellhousing alignment. If you're getting a little too much side load on the input shaft it can cause issues similar to what you're describing.
      visit us on the web at www.bowlertransmissions.com

If it were me, I would drop the trans and measure both the slave clearance and the bellhousing alignment, plus add the remote bleeder while I was there. I'm an engineer and I can't sleep at night not knowing the exact clearance and alignment of my setup. The thought of yours potentially being out of alignment is already giving me anxiety - no telling if I will get a wink this evening!

This shows how to measure the bellhousing alignment:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_J5U7evTSeA

This shows how to measure slave clearance:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_5ozvYk0C0
      Clint - '70 Nova "restomod" cruiser & autocross family car

More bleeding (pressure bleeding again, just opened it up and let it run) appears to have been sufficient. I'm glad of it, because I'd likely have had to pull the engine and trans out as a unit.

Sorry about your anxiety level, Clint, but all things being equal I'd prefer to not do that if I don't have to. Still might end up doing so... but hope not.

Dangit Derek now I'll never get any sleep!

Glad you got it sorted out. I wouldn't want to pull the tranny if I didn't have to either! Hope she shifts smoothly for ya.

Clint - '70 Nova "restomod" cruiser & autocross family car

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com