Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

67 Camaro project

I picked up a 67 Camaro RS about 2 weeks ago. The car has a decent running 327 with a Muncie 4 speed, a pretty good paint job, and the interior has all been swapped to a 69 and only needs a couple things. The suspension is shot and the front is all wrong, lowering springs and spindles with cheap tubular control arms. It rubs everything everywhere. There were multi leafs in the trunk so I installed those the weekend after I bought it, so I have time to decide what I want in the back. I’m going to do coil overs all around but there are too many different brands making everything for these cars for me to pick. I’ve built myself and helped my friends build multiple cars over the years(mostly 1/4 mile), but never anything like what I want this car to be. I’m not worried about labor because I will do all the work myself probably better than most shops because I’m very picky.

I’m looking at full suspension replacement kits, and also piecing together different brands but I don’t know if the parts of a certain brand compliment each other enough to keep them together or what. Most seem to like the ridetech stuff, but I also see speedtech and global West and Detroit speed and it all looks good to me. ridetech front end stuff looks really good because of the truturn making wider wheels/tires an option but how wide is wide enough. For the rear I’m leaning more towards the BMR torque arm but I don’t know if it’s because more complicated looks like it would work better or if I should just keep it simple to begin with and buy a complete system.

My end plans are getting the suspension/chassis good enough to handle really well and stiffened up a good bit. Then over the winter getting a h/c LS2/Tremec T56 magnum swapped in and add ac in that process. Then eventually a supercharger or turbo. I’m sure I’ll throw in a couple other things along the way but I’ll deal with that as it comes.

Any and all advice and opinions are appreciated.

Name:  63776EC3-93C3-4B22-9FEE-7CF9F63B7F78.jpg
Views: 508
Size:  209.3 KB
      I forgot to post a picture.

Welcome.. looks like a great base to start with..
      From a place you will not see comes a sound you will not hear....

67 Camaro In progress

https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...-Tap-67-camaro

Thanks. It was pretty much what I was looking for. No rust, not original, and a couple reasons for me to have to tear into it. Plus I got a really good deal on it because the PO wanted it to go to someone that wouldn’t just flip it.

Country Flag: United States
      Looks like a nice car. Have fun building it and "post plenty of pictures"... Welcome to the site!

Carl Wilson
      1968 Camaro - T-56 6 speed - 383 Stroker, 2014 Mustang GT seats. FiTech EFI, Tanks Inc. Tank with Deutschwerks fuel pump.

That looks like a great project to start with.

For your suspension it all comes down to what you want to do with your Camaro and how much you can spend. ridetech and Speedtech are great companies. I used ridetech parts on a stock subframe because I could buy pieces as I saved up money. I’m happy with the front end, but in the end I spent close to what an aftermarket subframe would have cost. I used the Speedtech Torque Arm in the rear and I would recommend it to anyone.

There are many great threads here with tons of info on the suspension options, do your research to find what fits your budget.
      Brian

'67 Camaro SS/RS, Blueprint Engines LS376, Bowler T56 Magnum
      Front suspension: Ridetech, Speedtech, DSE
      Rear suspension: Speedtech Torque Arm

Your ride already looks good, Brent. I'm just wondering, do you have any plans to change the paint job in the future? Or are you just going to retain the white all throughout?

The car was originally Nantucket blue from the 2 tiny spots I’ve found but I’m not really worried about anything being original. I looked up the vin and it was a V6 car to begin with. Apparently one or more of the PO changed everything. Most of the time I can I get on forums and read read read. I like knowing as much as possible before I start tearing into stuff like this.

The white is kind of growing on me. Is there any reason you asked.

I somehow missed an email, but my ridetech front/rear coil overs are at fedex for me to pick up. I got truturn and rear sway bar upgrades. I’m going to do a mini tub before all that goes in so I have a lot of work to do over the next couple weeks. I’m also going to be redoing the front seats because I noticed some foam pieces coming out under the seat and can feel the springs a little bit. Time for more upgrades I guess.

Looks like a mess but I’m excited
      Name:  50D55B37-F398-430C-A162-F0148520709A.jpg
Views: 314
Size:  274.2 KB

Riding along with you on your build. I've got my mini tubs and ridetech 4 link coilover kit sitting on the bench waiting for this winters tear down and rebuild.

Looks like a great starting point. You should start a build thread in the project section so we can follow along on your journey.
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Given sufficient initial acceleration, even pigs can fly!

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
      watching...
      I read your build thread a couple weeks ago. I plan on a pretty similar build to yours with fewer steps. I’ve built and helped friends build a few bad cars and trucks over the years and want this car to be the same. Basically everything done to it and reliable enough to be a DD. It needs suspension to be drivable to me so I’m replacing it all. I have the front suspension done, but the DMV still hasn’t got back to me so I tore into the interior. Seats are apart with all new seat upholstery(long wait of course) and foam on the way. I plan on driving it a little then doing a mini tub and the rear suspension and fixing any bugs along the way and updating the stereo and planning for an LS/Tremec swap in the near future. I’m doing it this way so I can see the differences in what I’m doing to it along the way.

The ridetech front end parts dropped right in. Only problem was the front driver side lower control arm bushing didn’t slide right in but it was the 50 year old subframes fault not the product. Only added about 30 minutes to the install just took some ingenuity to get it in.

Country Flag: Canada

Same boat different paddle...

New here... Starting my 67 Camaro project and at the suspension decision point. Will follow along.

Ken

Another '67 owner, will be watching!

Quote Originally Posted by brent1976 View Post
      I read your build thread a couple weeks ago. I plan on a pretty similar build to yours with fewer steps. I’ve built and helped friends build a few bad cars and trucks over the years and want this car to be the same. Basically everything done to it and reliable enough to be a DD. It needs suspension to be drivable to me so I’m replacing it all. I have the front suspension done, but the DMV still hasn’t got back to me so I tore into the interior. Seats are apart with all new seat upholstery(long wait of course) and foam on the way. I plan on driving it a little then doing a mini tub and the rear suspension and fixing any bugs along the way and updating the stereo and planning for an LS/Tremec swap in the near future. I’m doing it this way so I can see the differences in what I’m doing to it along the way.

The ridetech front end parts dropped right in. Only problem was the front driver side lower control arm bushing didn’t slide right in but it was the 50 year old subframes fault not the product. Only added about 30 minutes to the install just took some ingenuity to get it in.
      you can PM me if you have any stumbling blocks, its what i do

Quote Originally Posted by Kuhlhaus View Post
      New here... Starting my 67 Camaro project and at the suspension decision point. Will follow along.

Ken
      give me a call at my shop or pm me when you're ready we can set up the project in the right direction, and I do have discounts for forum members, I have been here a long time and raced with and built this community for many years

That one looks like a nice project! Can't wait to see the progress. Enjoy

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com