Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Thread: Ceramic Coating

Ceramic Coating

Picking my car up form painter was considering getting it ceramic coated. Do I need to wait like a year to let paint cure complexity ?
      IS Ceramic coating something folks think is real or just a marketing thing?
      From a place you will not see comes a sound you will not hear....

67 Camaro In progress

https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...-Tap-67-camaro

No idea about the cure time. I am a big fan of the professional ceramic coatings though. I have CQuartz on a car and am unsure which brand on my always outside truck. My truck came with the coating when I bought it (used from previous owner) and it's holding up great.
      1971 Firebird
      2017 Slipstream SS

Country Flag: United States
      My friend does ceramic coatings, the results are legit but I can't comment on the longevity of it. I hear the better ones can last up to 5 years with "correct maintenance." I plan on having him do the Cutlass and my daily driver.

He does apply ceramic coatings to new cars, but that's factory paint. I'm not sure about fresh resprays.

Nick ~
      1969 Cutlass

My guy uses CQuartz and I have it on 4 rides, 3 garaged and 1 outside. The product is legit, it makes regular cleaning so much easier, and as long as there is a good base with a proper paint correction done before it's applied, you'll be very happy with the results. I asked him about applying to a new paint job, he said to wait at least 60 days.

I've done this on my past 2 new Ducati SBKs, since they have no clear from the factory to save weight. It turned out fantastic.

But when I have my car painted, I'll just be doing PPF and maybe ceramic over that. I plan on a lot of track time and ceramic just doesn't protect like a legit PPF can.
      http://www.TheFOAT.com/92GTA
      1969 Pontiac Firebird
      w/535ci IAII aluminum block, Dailey dry sump, Holley EFI (full road race build). Primer black w/black interior.
      1992 Pontiac Trans Am GTA w/SLP Performance Package. Dark Jade Grey Metallic, grey leather, T-Tops.

Quote Originally Posted by anguilla1980 View Post
      I've done this on my past 2 new Ducati SBKs, since they have no clear from the factory to save weight. It turned out fantastic.

But when I have my car painted, I'll just be doing PPF and maybe ceramic over that. I plan on a lot of track time and ceramic just doesn't protect like a legit PPF can.
      THANKS. watched this.. was a good reference.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcup4MkI8t4

67 Camaro In progress

Good luck removing it if you ever need paint repairs. Consensus among body and paint guys I know is that it is a bad idea for that reason...

Quality paint requires no protection. Key word being quality...

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Exactly. I don't like the idea of anything that's described as "having to be sanded off" when it comes time to do any repairs if needed.
      Tracey

If you decide to use ceramic coat on a custom paint job, I would absolutely wait a period of time before applying it. How much time, I don’t know. I would think at least 90 days, but wouldn’t be surprised to hear closer to a year. I’d ask the paint manufacturer.

Quote Originally Posted by Tsaints1115 View Post
      Exactly. I don't like the idea of anything that's described as "having to be sanded off" when it comes time to do any repairs if needed.

Good call out .. I dont not think of the what if I need a fix problem

67 Camaro In progress

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com