Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Wiring up gauges for Gen V LT4?

I'm putting a Gen V LT4 in my 2nd gen camaro and I have most of it figured out for the most part. Some things online aren't documented all that well though so I have to figure it out on my own.

One of those things is gauges. It's pretty similar to an LS swap for the most part, but a few things I just want clarification on.

I'm using the following autometer gauges as reference

Tach 6297
      Speedometer 6288
      Oil Temp 6148
      Boost 6103
      Oil Pressure 2552
      Water Temp 2532
      Voltmeter 2592
      Transmission Temp 6149
      Fuel Level 6118

Obviously three of those have nothing to do with the engine but I figured I'd mention it anyways

The Tach and speedometer are the two I'm having issues with because the LT engine gets the tach signal a different way. I plan on getting dakota digital sta-1000 https://www.summitracing.com/parts/dak-sta-1000 Does anyone have experience with this? Since the engine harness has to plug into the 4l75 vss sensor it should technically work....but I can't find any info on it.

The next thing would be the standard sensors, can I just tap into the ones the engine already needs? or will that cause issue with can and need separate sensors no matter what.

I think most people tap into the boost solenoid but I'm not entirely sure.

Country Flag: United States
      What does the LT4 installation guide have to say? If the GM LT4 harness kit is like their other kits, there will be a connector in the harness that has various useful outputs, like for the tach and for the speedometer.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

I found the wiring diagram on the bulk head connector
      looks like getting speed, tach, and oil pressure is right on the bulkhead which is nice but it has to plug directly into the transmission controller according to the instructions. So I'm not 100% sure if I can tap into these wires without issue.

So I guess the only thing I'd have to tap into is boost and water temp on my own if I can use the bulkhead

Every thread/article I found on this said I needed the dakotadigital....maybe it was because tapping into the bulkhead caused issues? not sure.

Edit:
      Looking at the transmission wiring diagram, it has 3 wires that produce the signal I need, so I believe this will solve my issue
      Name:  Capture.jpg
Views: 885
Size:  20.6 KB
      Attached Images Attached Images  

Country Flag: United States
      Does Dakota digital make a CAN interface? If the do, use it.
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Quote Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
      Does Dakota digital make a CAN interface? If the do, use it.
      They do, but it requires me to use their gauges and I don't want to.

About just the information that I was looking for, thanks!

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com